Leon Cupra R 225 Gearbox Advice

dubninja

May 1, 2014
Melton Mowbray
Subzero, quick question where did you get you're gearbox done and how's it holding up? Sorry for dragging up an old thread but no point posting a new one.

Last edited:

Sean886

May 15, 2014
Mine only makes a noise when Down shifting from 4th to 3rd. Not quite the same problems as being described in this thread.

Mines also an 04 black r!

Rickycupra

Dec 31, 2012
Yeovil
Might be worth looking at the shim mod. Costs about a tenner and seems to have fixed a lot gearbox whining problems.

Cupra_collins

Sep 27, 2013
Worcester
Mine whines when I down shift in to 3rd I've got a gearbox that has been reconditioned if your interested mate I bought of my mate who breaks LCR'S pm if interested £200 as I no longer need as I have gearbox with a wavetrac LSD coming nxt week

tchallenger

Feb 20, 2014
Mine only makes a noise when Down shifting from 4th to 3rd. Not quite the same problems as being described in this thread.

Mines also an 04 black r!
Do the shim mod mate if you've got the black cover on the end of the box, cured this exact problem in mine and made the car feel like new !

davidhunter

Apr 27, 2004
I have a black leon cupra and have the dreaded 3rd gear slowing down noise. What is the shim mod that some of you are mentioning? I want to get rid of the car soon so don't want a massive bill at this present moment in time.

Thanks

David

Bouncerbeater

Old enough to know better
Mar 15, 2013
Gloucestershire

davidhunter

Apr 27, 2004
Hi Bouncherbeater,

Thanks found that last night as I was sitting up listening to the wind trying to tear my house apart and emptying my bins all over the local street !! I hear its back again tonight oh I love Scottish weather.

Anyway ordered the parts this morning from my local VW dealer. Cost around £9 for both the shim and end cap. I will see how it goes next weekend probably before I give the video on youtube a bash.

Cheers

David

Bouncerbeater

Old enough to know better
Mar 15, 2013
Gloucestershire
Good luck with it, let us know how you get on
The weather hey, I've found it bad enough in summer the times I've been to Highlands but maybe you get used to it, or maybe not

davidhunter

Apr 27, 2004
ok shim in. Was a bit tricky getting the plastic off around that area due to the 12 years of rust buildup on the screw threads. Taking the cap off easy, taking the C-clip off got that after a few minutes using small electrical screwdrivers. Putting the shim in was easy but getting the clip seated again took a bit more work probably 10 minutes as I had to slowly push it back in with the flat side of a screwdriver head.

Took it for a quick spin in the snow, that goodness for winter tyres and did not hear any whine noise from third. Tomorrow will be the big test as I drive to work and during the day etc.

Sounds like the forum may have saved me a recon of a gearbox thanks to everyone.

David

Haze

Oct 21, 2014
I have an 05 LCR with a grinding whine when I'm off the accelerator in third. I'm hoping the shim could fix this what do you guys think?

davidhunter

Apr 27, 2004
I guess so it sounds like its the same as mine. I also think the gear change is smoother as well. Looking forward to driving tomorrow. If there are any issues I will post comments back.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.