Leon Cupra R AWD PPT5935R E85 build

Gulfstream

Jul 31, 2010
ok,

until last week I had a 155 000km LCR with a BAM motor, stock K04 and pushed it fairly hard up some mountains. Then BIG white smoke cloud in the mirror then after a couple second the rods broke and pushed a hole in the block on the side and bottom. Oil all over turbo and heat insulation, caught fire. Flames up between engine and firewall... Luckily I managed to pull some house-vans over and nicked their fire extinguishers. Needed to empty two large ones to stop the fire... What caused the initial failure (smoke cloud) remain an unanswered Q.

burn2_zpscf2f04f6.jpg

burn1_zps88433b6e.jpg

burn_zps29bca51a.jpg

Now to the fun part. I wanna build a stronger engine. Have found some clean low mile AGU motors (top and block, with and without ancillaries) and I want to use my BAM ECU and loom on this block. I know the AGU is a 9.5:1 CR, no VVT Still I hope to get some opinions here to make sure this will work...

I plan to forge the AGU motor with a rod/piston kit and either go for 9:1 or 8.5:1 CR. Opinions?

Get list for the AGU motor:

1-GT3071R .64ar or GT3076R .64ar on a T3 manifold external 38mm wastegate
2-Rods and piston kit. 9:1 or 8.5:1? on a stock 81mm bore
3-SEM intake manifold with a R32 throttlebody
4-DP and TIP piping I have no idea where to get... help?
5-keep the BAM MAF for now, its brand new.
6-can I reuse my BAM coils, alternator, AC compressor?
7-630cc injectors
8-All controlled by my BAM ECU on a BT Unitronic 630cc file. Ill keep the N75 in the loop.

- would I need a performance valvetrain? Plan to run +/- 400bhp on this engine.

Other parts I believe I need:

-Spec stage 3 clutch 550NM
-Stiffer engine mounts
-Wavetrac LSD

Obviously I don't know too much about this setup as I've never done this before. My biggest worrie is the mix of my BAM ECU/loom on a AGU engine...

I greatly appreciate comments from those of you who have gone down this road before.

:)

Last edited:
Reactions: Manic172

Faisal

UK's 1st Liquid Yello LCR
May 27, 2008
Most likely at work
its nice to see you're thinking positive after your car letting you down. not got a scooby about these things so im just going to say good luck with your new project, as i'll be following it in case my car goes the same way

Gulfstream

Jul 31, 2010
its nice to see you're thinking positive after your car letting you down. not got a scooby about these things so im just going to say good luck with your new project, as i'll be following it in case my car goes the same way

Tnx... it was going to happen sooner or later... just happened sooner than I had hoped for.

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent
Also not too clued up here but a great attitude to have and a will to keep your car going! Nice one.

I know that Garrett turbo's are very good though so start there and the clue'd up boys will be along to answer your questions.

Good luck mate, keep us updated with a thread :)

Gulfstream

Jul 31, 2010
Think probs best speaking to badger bill

I have, bought the 2 piece 330mm brake kit from him. Insane great brakes! He said go for it. But I need some more detailed info. Like VVT issue.. and just a confirmation of the above really..

Gulfstream

Jul 31, 2010
i thought it was only the head on agu was large port so better flowing ? would of thought a bam block would of been stronger ?

good luck with the build though ill be following :)

My BAM block went to sleep, for good. Now that I have to take the engine out I might as well do it right first time around when I put another one in :)

hara

Sep 26, 2009
continent
ok,

until last week I had a 155 000km LCR with a BAM motor, stock K04 and pushed it fairly hard up some mountains. Then BIG white smoke cloud in the mirror then after a couple second the rods broke and pushed a hole in the block on the side and bottom. Oil all over turbo and heat insulation, caught fire.

just out of curiosity what mods/remaps were you running? Am I right thinking that white smoke before the rods went pop meant that you were already losing oil or coolant? maybe through some broken seals/gaskets/pipes?

Gulfstream

Jul 31, 2010
just out of curiosity what mods/remaps were you running? Am I right thinking that white smoke before the rods went pop meant that you were already losing oil or coolant? maybe through some broken seals/gaskets/pipes?

3" DP racecat
Forge TIP
400hp FMIC
Custom race map 275ish hp

I think youre correct. I left not a puff of smoke, but screened the whole road with white smoke. After pushing the engine really hard uphill at relatively low speeds for 30mins. Im guessing turbo completely disintegrated or headgasket. I have a mech pulling the BAM top off this week to take a look inside. Mby I can sell the BAM top and intake..

Gulfstream

Jul 31, 2010
update

Engine and turbo kit installed. I went with AGU bigport engine, found a lowmiler 22 000km, GT3071R turbo kit with billet compressor wheel from Pag Parts, 38mm TiaL wastegate with 1bar spring. SEM bigport intake with 70mm Bosch TB from Issam @ INA. Tuning from Eurodyne with Maestro 7. Running MAF'less tune. IE rods with Calico bearings. Siemens 630cc injectors stock BAM FPR.

It's a happy mix of AGU, BAM and aftermarket parts so I was a little anxious whether it would fire up at all...

Right now I have a very restrictive Audi A6 2.7T cat to pass MOT.

Driving it at low boost (1bar WG) = wow!

It pulls better than my oem LCR BAM car with ALL the mods pushing 26psi. When the K04 started to breathe heavy at 6000RPM's this thing seems to have no limit. Ok, Im only at 1bar still but it just pulls like a freight train all the way to redline set at 7500rpm. I love it.

Next is Wavetrac LSD, Oil cooler and gearbox forging for trackdays, Touring car clutch and flywheel from Southbend, Hallman MBC.

CIMG1398.jpg

CIMG1424.jpg

CIMG1434.jpg

CIMG1438.jpg

EU2.jpg

How does that timing look?

EU3.jpg

And the boost. 1bar wastegate spring looks about right. Seems like I have 1bar boost before 3000rpms. 3071R billet wheel from Pag Parts :beer:

evidence:
CIMG1426.jpg

CIMG1428.jpg

Last edited:

RS6

Nov 24, 2009
legend! you know your stuff! coming on well :D

really bad to hear what happened :(

Murdered LCR

Wide mouthed mofo
Sep 9, 2006
Murder Inc.
Nice one are you running no maf edit , should have looked you all ready said no maf ;) does that get rid of the traction control as well ? Car looks awesome glad some ones using a proper turbo :)

Last edited:

Gulfstream

Jul 31, 2010
Nice one are you running no maf edit , should have looked you all ready said no maf ;) does that get rid of the traction control as well ? Car looks awesome glad some ones using a proper turbo :)

the Eurodyne Maestro ME7 tuning software is fully adjustable. Out of the box its already running no MAF setup. Still have TCS and no fault codes :)

Turbo feels great. Cant wait to open it up and see what it brings :D

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise