Leon Cupra ST towbar

ALTEA4

Jan 12, 2019
I finally got through to someone at a SEAT department that deals with 'extras' but it might as well have been a space cadet. Never had such an unprofessional call and it was a UK call centre. She has approved me having a towbar fitted for bike rack use , she just typed it in , and is sending a covering permission letter and a copy of the v5 which she couldn't locate remotely on Friday. By the end of the 45 minute call I still have no idea if fitting a towbar is possible as she had no idea , she listed car as a leon ST even after taking the reg plate.
I now have to find a dealer auto centre which she said was online and I can get one fitted, even though I asked for a list of approved fitters , I can't find auto centre unless I should just be looking for a dealer with garage services. Tomorrow I will call my local dealers and find out if either can fit a towbar.
Personally I'd have been happier taking it to my local trailer and towbar fitters who do this work all the time.

RADIOTWO

Mar 6, 2018
North Derbyshire
I finally got through to someone at a SEAT department that deals with 'extras' but it might as well have been a space cadet. Never had such an unprofessional call and it was a UK call centre. She has approved me having a towbar fitted for bike rack use , she just typed it in , and is sending a covering permission letter and a copy of the v5 which she couldn't locate remotely on Friday. By the end of the 45 minute call I still have no idea if fitting a towbar is possible as she had no idea , she listed car as a leon ST even after taking the reg plate.
I now have to find a dealer auto centre which she said was online and I can get one fitted, even though I asked for a list of approved fitters , I can't find auto centre unless I should just be looking for a dealer with garage services. Tomorrow I will call my local dealers and find out if either can fit a towbar.
Personally I'd have been happier taking it to my local trailer and towbar fitters who do this work all the time.
Hi I know it won't help you but as you don't say where you are, but I have just ordered a ST (19 plate) new to me and wanted
a towbar so I phoned a local towbar fitter, and they gave me the price but he did say they can only fit one if the has the "upside down ledge" under the bumper, so when we went into dealer he said they used the towbar fitters that I phoned, so the garage just put the amount on the bill (and got a small discount ), but I did go for the detatachable flange type as it gives me the option of a pin hitch

ALTEA4

Jan 12, 2019
Received my permission letter today. Reads like I can choose to have it fitted at my local fitters. Now to find out if it’s possible.

Letter:

Make and Model: LEON EST 2.0TSI CUPRA 300 EZ DSG 4DRV
Thank you for your recent enquiry requesting authority to have a tow bar fitted to the above vehicle.
Whilst we have no objections, we strongly recommended that the tow bar is installed by one of our retailers within the U.K. network.
As per the terms and conditions of your contract, it is essential that a genuine part is fitted to this vehicle. This is to ensure that it is installed as per manufacturer’s specifications.

Yern

Apr 25, 2019
Received my permission letter today. Reads like I can choose to have it fitted at my local fitters. Now to find out if it’s possible.

Letter:

Thank you for your recent enquiry requesting authority to have a tow bar fitted to the above vehicle.
Whilst we have no objections, we strongly recommended that the tow bar is installed by one of our retailers within the U.K. network.
As per the terms and conditions of your contract, it is essential that a genuine part is fitted to this vehicle. This is to ensure that it is installed as per manufacturer’s specifications.
Your letter reads to me (if mistaken I apologise) that it should only be fitted in the Seat network, unless you mean local dealer and not local 'fitter'? I remember many (many) years ago seeing a car come in the dealership with towbar pulled from the chassis and ignoring whatever was being towed to cause it the manufacturer swerved all liability as it was a locally fitted bar.

babyhawk53

Apr 7, 2019

Letter:

was it thumbs up or thumbs down?

ALTEA4

Jan 12, 2019
Local fitters, who’ve been in business for 30+ years, have quoted for Witter tow bars.
£415 fixed swan neck or £515 detachable swan neck ball, both inc single electrics.
He found the correct tow bar by entering my reg number.
I’ve booked the fitting for mid August, their earliest date. I now have a week to decide on fixed or detachable ball.

RADIOTWO

Mar 6, 2018
North Derbyshire
Local fitters, who’ve been in business for 30+ years, have quoted for Witter tow bars.
£415 fixed swan neck or £515 detachable swan neck ball, both inc single electrics.
He found the correct tow bar by entering my reg number.
I’ve booked the fitting for mid August, their earliest date. I now have a week to decide on fixed or detachable ball.
Witter are out of stock ! I am waiting for one, But is that coded wiring, as if you go for the bypass wiring your reversing sensors will trigger if you have anything attatched

ALTEA4

Jan 12, 2019
I suppose I’ll be getting the good news on Monday then.
Must be all these new staycationers getting them fitted. Covid has certainly put some companies sales up this year.
Not worried about the sensors , I’m used to them beeping away if I forget to flick the inline switch I usually have fitted. It also reminds me I have the bikes on the back!

ALTEA4

Jan 12, 2019
Went to the towbar fitters today and on recommendation of the fitter ordered a Brink detachable towbar.
He was saying the after service from witter since they were bought out is horrendous, towbars not fitting correctly, lack of parts when reordering, only using them now when nothing else will fit.
The fitter positioned where the towball would be and the fixed slightly obscured the number plate. He said it was my choice as whether to risk the fixed ball. Showed me where he would make the cut in the defuser but said he’d keep it to a minimum.
Hopefully some pictures to show it on the 21st.

RADIOTWO

Mar 6, 2018
North Derbyshire
Went to the towbar fitters today and on recommendation of the fitter ordered a Brink detachable towbar.
He was saying the after service from witter since they were bought out is horrendous, towbars not fitting correctly, lack of parts when reordering, only using them now when nothing else will fit.
The fitter positioned where the towball would be and the fixed slightly obscured the number plate. He said it was my choice as whether to risk the fixed ball. Showed me where he would make the cut in the defuser but said he’d keep it to a minimum.
Hopefully some pictures to show it on the 21st.
Hi again, I have had a email saying Witter have them in stock, and have mine booked in, but see the Brink have a fixed ball, that is why I have stayed with Witter as they do a detatachable flange whick is what I want

ALTEA4

Jan 12, 2019
Hi again, I have had a email saying Witter have them in stock, and have mine booked in, but see the Brink have a fixed ball, that is why I have stayed with Witter as they do a detatachable flange whick is what I want

The brink I’ve ordered is detatchable. There’s a good link on YouTube on how to use it if you search brink towbar.

May 24, 2020
Perfect. Was originally told I couldn’t have a towbar on my 2019 300st but thought I was mistaken looking on the v5 etc..I guess I was right..have a brink removable swan neck my wife’s car and is good quality.. waiting on pictures etc will then dive in..??

Reactions: jt20vt

babyhawk53

Apr 7, 2019
The only one Brink do is a swan neck not a flange
many thanks. Is it the standard estate TSI or TDI towbar? When i had my first service last year, the dealer said the standard one would probably fit, then he changed his mind and said one cant be fitted, and then he said if one was fitted the wiring may already be in place, so dont go ordering a separate wiring kit until you have had it checked out. Thanks again.

RADIOTWO

Mar 6, 2018
North Derbyshire
many thanks. Is it the standard estate TSI or TDI towbar? When i had my first service last year, the dealer said the standard one would probably fit, then he changed his mind and said one cant be fitted, and then he said if one was fitted the wiring may already be in place, so dont go ordering a separate wiring kit until you have had it checked out. Thanks again.
Don't think it makes a diffrence with the TSI/TDI but will only fit a later model I think 2017 onward(don't quote me) it has what they say a upside down step, if you have a look underneath at the back you will see what I mean if you have one

ALTEA4

Jan 12, 2019
So finally I have a towbar fitted. Turned up at the shop as an fr st was being tested with a Witter attached. The detatchable bar was not obscuring the number plate so I asked how it was regarding fitting. After a quick chat and a ‘no problem’ I decided on the witter as if it’s a wet day of riding/travelling I can leave the ball in place and still be legal. Very easy to attach and detach the bar , first attempt in less than 5 seconds. I think the cutout is ok , has to have room on the right to be able turn the locking mechanism and room on the left for the electrics swinging arm. I’m pleased with the result.
Compared to the freetrack cutout it’s very neat.

Attachments

• 7D85A426-4D69-495B-9706-6C7D15FA0850.jpeg
    7D85A426-4D69-495B-9706-6C7D15FA0850.jpeg
    50.7 KB · Views: 229
  • 47F4FACA-8631-4A2E-9550-1193F5852BEC.jpeg
    47F4FACA-8631-4A2E-9550-1193F5852BEC.jpeg
    53.7 KB · Views: 229
  • 961C38D7-1995-4D41-82AE-B5B20836BB15.jpeg
    961C38D7-1995-4D41-82AE-B5B20836BB15.jpeg
    56.9 KB · Views: 224
  • B34F6B96-22FE-4602-B122-CA42818003F3.jpeg
    B34F6B96-22FE-4602-B122-CA42818003F3.jpeg
    56.3 KB · Views: 227
  • 019E3D76-395F-4F15-9352-EB2A0676D721.jpeg
    019E3D76-395F-4F15-9352-EB2A0676D721.jpeg
    51.5 KB · Views: 241
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.