Leon Cupra ST300 handling

Joe0

Jun 27, 2020
I have now had my new Leon Cupra ST300 for a few months and couple of thousand miles.

On the country roads where I live it seems loads more skittish/bouncy that my old Leon 63 FR, have to really hold on to the steering wheel.
Cruising on motorways, 130kh in France and 140/150kh in Germany, the lane holding is not as rock steady as the old FR. Again you have to more actively hold on to the steering. The FR just sat in the lane without movement when set to Sport mode.

I have it set to Cupra mode and D mode.
I flick it into S mode when I want to frighten my mother.
It has the standard Continental tyres, no mods.

Chose Cupra mode because I thought that would give me tighter steering and suspension.

The interweb seems to suggest that negative camber and toe in would improve things, or maybe they are not set correctly.
Nothing to say the factory set it up correctly.

Any ideas/comments gratefully received.
Joe

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
Consider having a 4 wheel laser alignment check completed by a competent/reputable organisation. Typical cost for this is c.£100, but is likely to improve longevity of the new tyres fitted.

My 300ST was very twitchy on turn in and could be unsettled quite easily at speed as you describe. My car required the front subframe to be adjusted to bring into tolerance. I had the alignment completed when I swapped the tyres, as you will get a more accurate reading with new tyres fitted.

Both front tyres and one side on the rear were worn on the inside at 7000 miles; I’ve completed 12,000 miles on the current set of PS4S’s with even wear across all 4 tyres with 3-4 mm remaining.

The workshop manual: ‘Running gear, axles and steering‘ has suspension geometry settings listed:

Reactions: Mr Pig

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
You can always ask the dealer; however, the problem is the dealer will state: it will have been in spec when it left the factory/dealer when new... must have been subject to an impact/pothole etc.

dsj20v

Dec 6, 2007
hampshire
As above we've recently had a ST R in with tracking all over place with bald inner edge tyres, owner said Seat not interested as would have been in spec

Joe0

Jun 27, 2020
Thanks for the responses, I will go back to Letchworth Seat and see what they say.

When I picked up my BMW motorbike from BMW Park Lane, I worked in London, I thought it vibrated a lot. Not having owned BMW Boxer before I lived with it until about 12 months later it really hacked me off.

Took it to Welwyn Garden City Motorrad and they quickly found the throttle bodies needed synchronising, that was done under guarantee, and the bike has stopped vibrating.
So, the bike left BMW dealership out of spec. It can happen
Lets see how Letchworth Seat respond, at least BMW fixed the out of spec issue.

thanks again

Deleted member 121768

Thanks for the responses, I will go back to Letchworth Seat and see what they say.

When I picked up my BMW motorbike from BMW Park Lane, I worked in London, I thought it vibrated a lot. Not having owned BMW Boxer before I lived with it until about 12 months later it really hacked me off.

Took it to Welwyn Garden City Motorrad and they quickly found the throttle bodies needed synchronising, that was done under guarantee, and the bike has stopped vibrating.
So, the bike left BMW dealership out of spec. It can happen
Lets see how Letchworth Seat respond, at least BMW fixed the out of spec issue.

thanks again

Hi Joe,
Did you manage to get this sorted?

Reactions: black_sheep

Joe0

Jun 27, 2020
Not yet
I have been isolating after driving through France returning from holiday in Germany
I do plan to pop to Letchworth Seat later this week.
Thanks for asking
Joe

Joe0

Jun 27, 2020
Andrew, what exactly needs aligning?, what do I need to say to the Seat chap to get this done
Thanks for your help
Joe

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
I would state exactly what you have already described above. 1) The handling has been twitchy and doesn’t inspire confidence at high speed (noting that the speed you quoted is above 70 mph - UK garages will only test car to 70 mph), that it has been like it since new, and has not been subject to pothole damage etc; 2) That your previous FR was more composed when driving on the same roads; 3) Could the dealer complete a 4 wheel laser alignment to confirm that the vehicle geometry is correct in accordance with the manufacturer’s specification; 4) If out of spec complete the necessary adjustment.

If they want to charge you to investigate the fault upfront, ask if you and the master tech can complete a back to back test drive between your car, and one of an equivalent specification first.

Joe0

Jun 27, 2020
Letchworth Seat had the car for the day, did four wheel laser alignment.
Some settings were a bit out, all were corrected and reported Green on the report.
Took the car down the A1M and there is a noticeable difference, now sits tight in the lane, without having to constantly micro correct.
Very pleased with the result and service I received, and the help from folk in this forum.
Thank you all.
Joe

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.