DSC_0043.jpg

DSC_0043.jpg

DSC_0035.jpg

DSC_0034.jpg

DSC_0033-2.jpg

DSC_0045.jpg

cupra_r_ick

Jan 29, 2011
nice job dude, did you have to move the climate control down, if so, was it a beast to do ?
i wana do this too, looks like an absolute mission though

seantdi

no smoke no poke!!
Jan 18, 2009
ireland
nice job dude, did you have to move the climate control down, if so, was it a beast to do ?
i wana do this too, looks like an absolute mission though
ya the climate control unit had to be moved down. not very hard. you need two 90 degree brackets which can be picked up in most hardware stores for a few pence. i never done anything like this before i attempted making it. if you pick up a cheep single din console and chop up that it wont cost the earth. only thing is you need the stereo and double din facia to line up everything in the right spaces.

So the £200 part is the centre console with ash tray part built in
The fascia is only £20ish was there anything else needed
i have no ash tray now. if you buy the double din center console off seat (which is about £350 ish) you still need a new lower console to have an ash tray. this is the bit that runs between the front seats. in the cars with factory fitted double din the ash tray is in this where as our cars with single din the ash tray is under the climate controls in the upper center console

looks good mate. might have to have a shot at this my self
ya defo give it a go

seantdi

no smoke no poke!!
Jan 18, 2009
ireland
its not that hard. you need a mk4 golf/bora double din adaptor and a few screws ,nuts bolts and washers. i used a second console that i got in a breakers to make it so i could still use the car while i was at it

Sep 18, 2009
Shropshire
good job, looks like the original, also looks like alot of hard work to make it double din, glad mine came with double din, i only had to swap the headunits out :D

seantdi

no smoke no poke!!
Jan 18, 2009
ireland
ok a few more pics

here is the old single din beside the chopped up one
DSC_0003-2.jpg

basicly you need to cut a few bits out. i cut along the red lines
DSC_0011-3.jpg

DSC_0010-3.jpg

DSC_0006-1.jpg

you should be left with an empty space to fit the stereo and move down the climate control unit
DSC_0014-2.jpg

2 90 degree brackets to hold it in place at the back. i used these out of the local hardware place but anything similar will do the job. no real weight on them its just to keep the unit in place. you dont want anything to heavy as you might need to bend them a little.
DSC_0015-2.jpg

put the screw in at the top of the box as the circuit board is at the bottom

you need a mk4 golf double din adaptor (about £15 on ebay) as the aftermarket stereo is a bit smaller that the factoru units. you can see it arount the stereo in the pic
DSC_0014-2.jpg

you then need to cut/drill/peirce 4 holes in the console to match where the stereo will be screwed in.
you can see one in this pic. you need a large washer with a small hole on either side of the plastic! its the silver bit in this pic. i have changed these since. its just to stop the bolt pulling true the plastic
DSC_0037.jpg

seantdi

no smoke no poke!!
Jan 18, 2009
ireland
you will need a nut on the inside to hold the washer in place and maybe one on the outside depending on the lenght of the bolt you used. you can see the one i used in the pic above.

before you fit the stereo you will need to move the white pump/fan thing for the air con. i just screwed it to the side of the plastic.
DSC_0002-1.jpg

DSC_0016-2.jpg

there is a thick plastic pipe that comes down to a sensor (which also needs to be moved) that will kink up if you do it the way i did. there is a different pipe for the ones with factory fitted double din so maybe that would be better..
anyway in the new facia there is hole for a obd port. i mounted the sensor here. first cut out a slot the size of the sensor in a obd port cover
DSC_0017-3.jpg

no pic of the sensor but you will see what i mean when you are doing it.
i screwed the cover in place and glued the sensor housing to it
DSC_0020-2.jpg

glued. its hard to see the glue because i gave it a dust of spray when i was doing the facia in gloss black
DSC_0019-1.jpg

also there is no cig ligter/12 socket when you do this so if you want one to charge a phone etc you need to take it out of the ash tray or buy one. i also fitted a usb power supply to charge my phone :D

you will need two screws to hold the bottom of the facia in place
DSC_0020-2.jpg

seantdi

no smoke no poke!!
Jan 18, 2009
ireland
to hold in the top i used the clips that were on the climate unit holding on the single din facia. you need to cut a slot in them
DSC_0011-2.jpg

then slip them on ovet the two torx head bolts holding on the top of the console.
i put them between the head and the washer
DSC_0022-2.jpg

in place
DSC_0010-2.jpg

i hope this helps someone

itfben

DsignVinyl.com
Oct 24, 2009
nr. Tunbridge Wells
Im half way there dude. :) cut up the single din console i got from the scrappy. Just need sone fixings /brackets (from work?) and then just waiting for the actual headunit to arrive tomorrow! Sooo excited:)

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.