Leon EcoMotive Copa SE - Parking System

palfreyg

Hi,

I've just ordered a brand new Seat Leon 1.6 SE Copa EcoMotive, with the optional front-parking sensors. I don't get the Car til May/June.

I've previously seen screenshots of a "Optical Parking System", showing a graphical representation of the parking sensors and I'm confused on whether I'll be getting that with this car.

I've spoken to the SEAT Dealer and they haven't been able to give me a straight-answer, with mention of "I think they stopped doing that", "You get that only when you buy the front parking sensors".

So can anyone help me out?

Additionally from the research i've done, I believe the Leon will come with the RNS-310 System, is that correct?

Any help is most appreciated,

Gareth.

LeonCR

Oct 22, 2009
as long as your have sat nav im pretty sure you will have the optical park system

ChrisSK

Jan 25, 2012
Bristol
Hi Gareth

Not a 100% on this but I think you will find your Leon will have the Media 2.2 system and if you have the option with front parking sensors then that comes with the optical displayed within the Media 2.2 display panel.

My Leon only has the rear sensors so it only has an audio warning although strangely enough the passed 5 months I have had the car it has on two occasions thrown up a warning on the Media 2.2’s display saying that “the optical display is currently not available”. Just a quirk I assume.

Chris

Link to current Leon Media system for you’re info.

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/images/pdf/rns-315-specs.pdf

Last edited:

product

Nov 6, 2007
Gareth,

For the optical system you need the magic combination of front and rear parking sensors and Media System.

Your SE Copa has rear sensors and the Media System as standard, so if you have added the front parking sensor cost option on top, then yes you'll have the "radar" display...

palfreyg

Thank you all for your responses.

Do you think I need to specifically mention to SEAT that I want them to enable the "radar" display? is it going to be a re-wiring job or some setting in the electronics?

Chris: Thank you for the guide, that's really helpful. I read that the RNS-315 was for the US? while the RNS-310 was for Europe? Do you know if they are any different? I read somewhere that the US version had a 4gig internal HD, while the Europe version requires the Maps on a SD card at all times.

So much information!! Does not compute!!!

Gareth

ChrisSK

Jan 25, 2012
Bristol
HI Gareth

The only different I am aware of apart from US / EU maps is the radio receiver as the US model has Satellite radio while the Euro model has DAB.

AFAIK the current EU and US unit’s have a built in flash drive of 4 Gb so it’s solid state which makes it fast at calculating routes. I quite like the unit but the way it uses Points Of Interest leaves a lot to be desired but it’s the only thing I would complain about.

Chris

HotHatchSteve

Jul 6, 2009
Do you think I need to specifically mention to SEAT that I want them to enable the "radar" display? is it going to be a re-wiring job or some setting in the electronics?

Like said above it depends on if the car you have ordered has got the Media System (The RNS 315 is Media system 2.2 and RNS 310 was v 2.0) and the front and rear parking sensors.
If you have only got the rear parking sensors on your order you can not have the Optical (radar) display.

ChrisSK

Jan 25, 2012
Bristol
It gets a bit confusing I know but this is what I think is how it works.

Based on the 2011 Leon SE Copa delivered to me in Nov 11.

The SE Copa comes with the “Convenience Pack” as standard and this pack includes rain sensors, light sensors, auto dimming rear view mirror, rear parking sensors and two additional speakers.

At the time of ordering my SE Leon to get the front optical parking system you had to add the “Technology Pack” which includes the Seat Media System with Bluetooth communication pack (without voice control) including DAB radio tuner, bi-xenon headlights and front parking sensors (optical park system).

That’s basically how it’s written in the broacher however the SE Copa comes with the Seat Media System with Bluetooth including voice control and DAB tuner as standard but not the front sensors or optical display or the bi-xenon lights.

I was told by my dealer that the Media System with BT and the convenience pack was a limited offer last summer but I think now that this is standard on the SE Leon anyway and the sales person was just trying to get me to sign up before the so say offer ended.

Confusing isn’t it and the other thing is the latest spec has probably changed.:shrug:

If you ordered the front sensors as an add-on without the technology pack then I don’t think you’ll have the optical system. Ask your dealer if the car has the tech pack and if it’s a yes then it will have the optical too, well that’s what I make of it.:D

Chris

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
I'm not sure I'd notice if I had the 'radar' on the car - I tend to look at where I'm going whether reversing or not. The beeps are helpful, but you need to look where you're going too

product

Nov 6, 2007
At the time of ordering my SE Leon to get the front optical parking system you had to add the “Technology Pack” which includes the Seat Media System with Bluetooth communication pack (without voice control) including DAB radio tuner, bi-xenon headlights and front parking sensors (optical park system).

That’s basically how it’s written in the broacher however the SE Copa comes with the Seat Media System with Bluetooth including voice control and DAB tuner as standard but not the front sensors or optical display or the bi-xenon lights.

If you ordered the front sensors as an add-on without the technology pack then I don’t think you’ll have the optical system. Ask your dealer if the car has the tech pack and if it’s a yes then it will have the optical too, well that’s what I make of it.
The Technology Pack doesn't exist on Leon any more, because the Media System is standard on SE Copa you don't need to pay for it twice!

The bi-xenon headlights and front parking sensors are now broken into individual cost options on SE Copa. Speccing the front parking sensors (as Gareth has done) means he will get the optical park system as a knock-on effect.

And Gareth - no need to ask for this to be activated, should be on by default.

Shinymoose

Can the front sensors be retro fitted? and does this need to be switch one via the VAGcom system for the radar to show up?

ChrisSK

Jan 25, 2012
Bristol
The Technology Pack doesn't exist on Leon any more, because the Media System is standard on SE Copa you don't need to pay for it twice!

The bi-xenon headlights and front parking sensors are now broken into individual cost options on SE Copa. Speccing the front parking sensors (as Gareth has done) means he will get the optical park system as a knock-on effect.

And Gareth - no need to ask for this to be activated, should be on by default.

I thought that the specs would be different for the Leon 12 so thanks for the updated info.:)

Can the front sensors be retro fitted? and does this need to be switch one via the VAGcom system for the radar to show up?

Good question.

palfreyg

Thank you all very much for responses!

I cant believe SEAT dont even know their own cars, which has caused my confusion!

Just have to wait til June now for the car!

Thanks again.

Gareth.

Shinymoose

I'm having a sensor fitted to the front of mine soon, it to will act as a parking sensor. . .:D

Hi
You say a sensor, do you mean just the one?
Interested to see how you get on