Leon FR 150 PS brake upgrade to the 184 PS brakes

Matt21

Apr 21, 2017
Kidderminster
So we finally have an update after what seems eternity, after life’s troubles as we all experience I finally got some time to paint these calipers and here’s how they’ve turned out
7529566D-56A0-4FA2-97D5-AB2A0387BD39.jpg

FC948224-2B67-4593-A49F-EC2E3E7A9138.jpg

Masked them up Friday night
FF093ACC-2019-47D1-895B-FB562E81C708.jpg

Gave them a light coat of white primer
IMG_3751.jpg

Hit them with a couple of coats of high build grey primer
IMG_3752.jpg

From the prep work I done, they were pretty smooth already
20A75880-74B9-40B5-8810-DDB898EEF77A.jpg

A7CE8FB1-B67D-486C-8C4C-1A9FCB4DED82.jpg

3 coats of LB9A VW Candy White, colour came out pretty good
8E73A9A0-6AF6-440C-A746-949C1C273F9F.jpg

IMG_3762.jpg

IMG_3763.jpg

Then the debate started with do I use the stickers I got or not, which position do I put them in blah blah blah
IMG_3764.jpg

Final decision was to go with them in this position which I thought suited them best with it being nice and central
1AD23A87-78C7-4312-95D0-70769B2B4798.jpg

And this is the final product, sorry for some of the picture quality but for doing them in a dusty dirty garage with some aerosol cans I’m pretty happy with the result, not the real glossy finish I would of wanted but not to shabby, discs and pads were ordered today, EBC Turbo Groove discs and some yellow stuff pads hopefully all fitted this weekend if the weather holds out and life’s holds off again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt21

Apr 21, 2017
Kidderminster
IMG_3776.jpg

IMG_3777.jpg

And there we have it, not a terrible install tbf did need to drill and re-tap one of the retaining screws but that was the only thing to give me trouble, time to drive a couple hundred miles and bed these in, only took nearly a year to do it

chroniclesofcf

Mar 3, 2022
Paisley, Renfrewshire.
View attachment 38623
View attachment 38624
And there we have it, not a terrible install tbf did need to drill and re-tap one of the retaining screws but that was the only thing to give me trouble, time to drive a couple hundred miles and bed these in, only took nearly a year to do it

sorry to beat a dead horse on this thread, but how are you finding the bigger setup and the ebb pads and discs?

thinking of doing this exact thing in the next month or two.

Matt21

Apr 21, 2017
Kidderminster
sorry to beat a dead horse on this thread, but how are you finding the bigger setup and the ebb pads and discs?

thinking of doing this exact thing in the next month or two.

Really good dude, well worth it in my opinion even if the size is a very minor increase, I can 100% feel the difference and the discs and pads are amazing

Reactions: chroniclesofcf

hawkx617

Mar 18, 2024
I spent a lot of time on this, and decided the change to EBC pads and discs was far more worthwhile than upping the disc size. Certainly the extra 20mm didn’t seem to do anything when I drove a 184 recently, so I’m happy with my choice.

I know they’ll work in a straight swap fine, but also wasn’t keen on messing around with ABS, TPMS, etc, especially when the rears had to stay stock.

chroniclesofcf

Mar 3, 2022
Paisley, Renfrewshire.
Really good dude, well worth it in my opinion even if the size is a very minor increase, I can 100% feel the difference and the discs and pads are amazing

Excellent! Love the FR badges touch! Did you go messing around with the ABS values in VCDS?

How much did you pay for the brakes and pads?

chroniclesofcf

Mar 3, 2022
Paisley, Renfrewshire.
I spent a lot of time on this, and decided the change to EBC pads and discs was far more worthwhile than upping the disc size. Certainly the extra 20mm didn’t seem to do anything when I drove a 184 recently, so I’m happy with my choice.

I know they’ll work in a straight swap fine, but also wasn’t keen on messing around with ABS, TPMS, etc, especially when the rears had to stay stock.
I think for me it’s the visual of the bigger disc filling out the wheel a bit more. The messing around in VCDS does put me off a little, but it doesn’t seem complicated.

I’m sure the EBC pad and disc upgrade would be more than noticeable. You could also add better brake fluid and some braided lines to get even more out of the stock callipers.

Matt21

Apr 21, 2017
Kidderminster
I think for me it’s the visual of the bigger disc filling out the wheel a bit more. The messing around in VCDS does put me off a little, but it doesn’t seem complicated.

I’m sure the EBC pad and disc upgrade would be more than noticeable. You could also add better brake fluid and some braided lines to get even more out of the stock callipers.

I’ve not messed with anything yet in vcds and to be honest 3 weeks ago I had to slam my brakes on pretty hard cause some woman crashed in to me and I had no problems with abs or anything like that but it’s on my to do list, to be honest I can’t remember how much I paid for the kit and I changed to some different fluid cause of the low moisture contents in it, that’s mainly the reason I went to the bigger set was to fill the wheel out a bit more but the braking power is bang on

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.