Leon fr 184

jaredg

So I've had my new Leon for a week now and tracked 1000miles already. I'm impressed with a few things and not so impressed with a few things.

Before buying I test drove the 150 and thought it was quick and had a sporty exhaust note. I was lead to believe the 184 was noticeably quicker with an even sportier exhaust note. But it feels very similar to the 150. So much so that I did a number plate checker to make sure it was a 184.

The seats are very comfortable, which helps off set the hard ride which I did expect, especially with the 18's. and the satnav is pretty good too.

The dealer was super helpful up until hand over and now not so much. I asked him to look at my car and work out why the mirror tilt for parking. He couldn't work it out and said he would get back to me. A week later and I'm still waiting despite a follow up email.

But overall I'm pretty impressed though. Coming from an f20 BMW I'm glad I made the move.

jaredg

Just so I know where I stand. I was told it would have it, can they retro fit?

terryt

Aug 16, 2013
I was thinking the same as it is a feature I would like, I'm still waiting delivery of my FR. I'm guessing its just a software thing and can be enabled with VCDS although I could be completed wrong. My dealer has been pretty good (so far) and told me the Leon didn't have the tilt function when I did my test drive and later confirmed it was dropped along with the headlamp washers.

I've ordered the 18" wheels and am dreading the hard ride, one of the reasons I got the car was to have something more comfortable than what I currently have :blink:

metomurti

Apr 26, 2013
I was thinking the same as it is a feature I would like, I'm still waiting delivery of my FR. I'm guessing its just a software thing and can be enabled with VCDS although I could be completed wrong. My dealer has been pretty good (so far) and told me the Leon didn't have the tilt function when I did my test drive and later confirmed it was dropped along with the headlamp washers.

I've ordered the 18" wheels and am dreading the hard ride, one of the reasons I got the car was to have something more comfortable than what I currently have :blink:

I am also really cruis about the hard ride of the 18 inches. Is there a really comfort difference between 18 and 17 inches? I do not know.

CyberGene

Apr 26, 2008
Sofia, Bulgaria
I haven't compared mk3 18" vs mk3 17". I test drove the 184 SC FR 18" and was able to compare it almost side by side with my current mk2 (a regular suspension model with 16" wheels). There was barely any difference. One instance where I could feel a difference was when I drove out the car from the sidewalk stepping down a bark, then it felt slightly firmer because of the 18". However on a really bad condition paved road it felt more composed and softer than the mk2 16".

So, I believe the suspension in the mk3 is generally softer and more composed than the one in mk2, even the one in mk3 FR compared to mk2 regular. Putting it on larger wheels won't make any difference in the general behavior of the suspension, however it would do a difference on surfaces where there may be a harsh impact with the wheel such as barks, hard edged potholes, etc.

Last edited:

unclelonghair

Jul 6, 2007
Newcastle upon Tyne
I went from a Mk V Golf GT Sport with 18's (so same chassis as a Mk2 Leon) to a 1.4 TSi FR with 18's, and the ride in the Leon is much more compliant. I wanted 17's this time for comfort this time but didn't like the wheels fitted as standard. Ended up with 18's again purely for the look but don't regret it at all. The 184's with the independent rear suspension should ride even better.

jaredg

The ride is only noticeably harder on the 18's when your on poor roads. Motorway and smooth roads there is no difference.

derelyth

Jun 11, 2011
Portsmouth
Coming from a Mk2 TDI Sport on FR550 18s to an FR on 18s I was amazed how smoother it felt - not a cloud like my parents' E Class but nowhere near as crashy as my Mk2.

jaredg

Terrt, I contacted my dealer and they are under the impression it is a feature on my car and have booked me in to recode the system to get it working. So hopefully it's not been binned from the car and it's just mine that isn't working.

terryt

Aug 16, 2013
Terrt, I contacted my dealer and they are under the impression it is a feature on my car and have booked me in to recode the system to get it working. So hopefully it's not been binned from the car and it's just mine that isn't working.

Sounds promising, looks like they disabled it after people having problems with it not returning to positioning. Keep us updated :)

mcmillanja

LeonTwellls84
Aug 7, 2013
Just rolled over to 1000 miles on the 18's titanium pack. No comfort issues and suspension set up is excellent. Used to have the Ibiza FR and is much more comfortable, probably as the build quality and finish is greatly enhanced.

metomurti

Apr 26, 2013
Just rolled over to 1000 miles on the 18's titanium pack. No comfort issues and suspension set up is excellent. Used to have the Ibiza FR and is much more comfortable, probably as the build quality and finish is greatly enhanced.

While I am hesitating to choose 18 inches, it is very helpful to read such good and positive comments from the users as you. Standard 17 inch wheels are really look so standart with 5 spokes. 18 inch wheels look beatiful.

Last edited:

Shiners

Jun 29, 2013
Scotland
I switched from a Mk5 GTI with 17s to the FR 184 with 18s and find it more comfortable. Not drastically more but enough to convince me it was the right option to tick. The suspension is way better too.

derelyth

Jun 11, 2011
Portsmouth
I have the TSI with 18s and did come from a TDI with 18s which was a harsher ride. I also considered the 17s for fear of the same ride as it did get annoying around town. I think most have the same reservations but the new MQB platform's suspension is pretty damn good.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.