Leon FR ST Bilstein B4 dampers - opinions please

Charliemonkey

Jun 30, 2020
My 2015 FR 184 TDi estate standard Sachs dampers feel soft and lacking control (118K motorway miles, rears weeping slightly) so time for new ones. Has anyone tried Bilstein B4 dampers? Any thoughts?
Not planning on lowering and don't want to ruin the ride compliancy too much. Thanks.

Skilledmilk

Feb 23, 2017
I replaced the rear shocks on my 2013 184 hatch with Bilstein ones from ECP (not sure if they were B4 or B2) about 30,000miles ago. Now at 150k and no complaints, grips the back roads well and motorway journeys are relaxed.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I looked at these when I had the Golf. The general consensus seemed to be that hey were about the same as the standard GTi dampers, maybe slightly better. You had to spend more to get more. Also be aware that the different dampers are designed to work with different spring highs.

I don't think Bilstein make a bad damper. I've never heard anyone express disappointment in them.

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
I had my rear shocks changed on my 2014 184 ST in Feb after 95,000 miles. They were knocking badly and it turns out both were leaking and knackered. Only replaced with standard shocks but it was a massive improvement. It's like anything that slowly wears out. Even an OEM replacement makes a massive difference. Rides is much better and although it handled well anyway, it's certainly happier on new ones.

Reactions: Mr Pig

Charliemonkey

Jun 30, 2020
What about B4 vs B6? Has anyone used the B6, does it degrade the comfort a lot or is it a better quality damper circuit so more control towards full travel without introducing excessive impact harshness? Too many potholes around for high damper forces as far as I am concerned.
The Bilstein website is no help, it talks about 'damping power', not sure which marketing numpty wrote it but dampers give a force, the magnitude of which varies with the damper shaft velocity. The only thing power related would be the heating of the oil as it is forced through the control circuit but this isn't usually the way dampers are characterised.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
It's a shame there doesn't seem to be much for the beam axle cars. Clearly the focus has been on the Golf GTi market but there are a lot more of the lesser cars on the road so I would've thought it would be worth the investment to do a rear damper for them.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.