Leon FR Tdi Power Delivery

dekFR

Hi

I recently traded in my Corsa VXR Arctic for a Leon FR Tdi. Whilst I do miss the looks and pops and bangs of the Arctic lol, I have to say I'm impressed with the Leon, especially now that I have Bluefin.

With regards to the power delivery of the diesel engine, am I right in saying that the power band ends around 3500rpm ?. It's just that I was sitting in third gear around 50mph with the revs around 3000rpm. I put my foot down to overtake and did not feel very much pull as the power band seemed to end about two secs later.

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
gear changes are needed to make the most of the torque , you will need to adjust your driving style to suit.
excellent choice of car performance and economy , wait til you come up against a VXR next time and give them a scare :p

sdownie1

Jul 23, 2008
scotland
The power does drop off around 3500 even in a remaped car, but the power loss is not as significant as it is withought the map.There is a post of a dyno run on the forum for a bluefin remap if you find this you will see what i mean, enjoy the car as it is alot better mapped than standard.

Tam

Santa in disguise :)
Feb 10, 2005
Near Reevo :)
this should show power band areas :)
run.jpg

dekFR

Thanks for your helpful responses.

My Corsa VXR was quick and loads of fun. However, I reckon my Leon FR would give it a run for it's money. Second Gear on the FR is brilliant. With the bluefin installed, it has the traction control working overtime lol Still pulls well in other gears

bizzaboy

As much as it disappoints me to say this, the VXR would be giving the TDi FR a good run for it's money, 0-60 on paper is stated as 6.8, while the TDi FR see's 60 in 8 seconds!

As said though, you will need to drive the FR differently to get the most out of it's potential - BlueFin will also liven up its acceleration quite a bit too! :)

Either way, the FR has SO MUCH MORE class than the Vauxhall, end of.

White_Lady_170

Dirty Derv
Jan 20, 2009
N. Ireland
i have never had the opportunity to find out but from what i have heard about those wee Corsa's... it would be no contest. Power to weight alone would see the Corsa off into the distance. I struggled to stick with a 106 gti... :(

dannychapman10

K04 Time ;)
Mar 30, 2009
Grimsby, UK
When other people drive my car and go to overtake, they always stick it in 3rd and I say to them, try 4th, you will get passed quicker and it's true, in petrols you may find you need to drop down a gear to get the best pull but as everyone else says, diesel need to be in their best power band with maximum torque to pull the most. I even find it funny when friends are in the car and I quickly overtake by dropping it to 5th and the wonder how I just did it so quick :) try it sometime, that surge of the turbo at 1500rpm is one of the best feelings around :)

Danny.

bizzaboy

When other people drive my car and go to overtake, they always stick it in 3rd and I say to them, try 4th, you will get passed quicker and it's true, in petrols you may find you need to drop down a gear to get the best pull but as everyone else says, diesel need to be in their best power band with maximum torque to pull the most. I even find it funny when friends are in the car and I quickly overtake by dropping it to 5th and the wonder how I just did it so quick :) try it sometime, that surge of the turbo at 1500rpm is one of the best feelings around :)

Danny.

Sounds good, but what type of road would you be driving along, and speed, to drop the car into 3rd or 4th? I take it not motorways.

I find driving along minor roads, ie: off a roundabout or whatever where you are down to 20 or 30, then in 3rd, from quite low revs, when you put your right foot down, the revs pass around the revo counter with a great surge of acceleration before reaching the red line.

neo265

Oct 25, 2004

Danny.

3rd gear puts more torque through the wheels than 4th gear, so I'll think you will find 3rd is quicker, unless your at 4500rpm+. Dont forget gears multiply torque, lower the gear, the more torque you have through the wheels and onto the road.

/dev/null

Nov 12, 2008
i have never had the opportunity to find out but from what i have heard about those wee Corsa's... it would be no contest. Power to weight alone would see the Corsa off into the distance. I struggled to stick with a 106 gti... :(

I have to agree - the big clumsy diesel would stand little chance against the vxr and unless perhaps it was on a steep incline.

bizzaboy

I have to agree - the big clumsy diesel would stand little chance against the vxr and unless perhaps it was on a steep incline.

I wouldn't even entertain them with the possibility of a race (not that I do that anyway!)... Anything Vauxhall just wouldn't be worth wasting precious diesel over! :p

Last edited by a moderator:

bizzaboy

Especially when it would show us up! :)

;) I really don't bother getting into any "duels" with other cars anymore. I drive at my own speed and just don't respond to that sort of thing (maybe its an age thing - when I was in my teens/early 20'd I would have been up for that perhaps).

Now I appreciate and enjoy driving a sporty (quite rapid) new SEAT, with alot of style to go with it. Infact by the time I get to work, a good 40 mile drive, I wish I had ANOTHER 40 miles to go..... :D I'll leave the racing to the 'boy racers! .......... in their VXR's !!). :D

bizzaboy

......saying that, when I WAS in my 20's I owned a highly modified GT Turbo that easily cost £10,000 LESS than both the FR and VXR, but it would have blown both of them away (then perhaps overheated further down the road). :D

/dev/null

Nov 12, 2008
;) I really don't bother getting into any "duels" with other cars anymore. I drive at my own speed and just don't respond to that sort of thing (maybe its an age thing - when I was in my teens/early 20'd I would have been up for that perhaps).

Now I appreciate and enjoy driving a sporty (quite rapid) new SEAT, with alot of style to go with it. Infact by the time I get to work, a good 40 mile drive, I wish I had ANOTHER 40 miles to go..... :D I'll leave the racing to the 'boy racers! .......... in their VXR's !!). :D

Me too - I used to drive pretty quick when I was in my teens but now I tend to just stick around or just about the speed limit - not worth the points/ban because I'd lose my job and also just can't be bothered with it any more lol! :)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.