leon fr tfsi 300bhp with only a cai and a milltek tbe?

beeko85

Apr 27, 2009
Bangor, N.I
ok, so a tuning company in northern ireland which ive used on past cars and got my milltek cat back from and fitted by last week gave me a few power quotes for mapping my fr. i've got bluefin at the minute, and thy were saying how they're maps are better than superchips, etc and that they've had a few people with bluefin who've come to them and couldn't believe the difference once they'd tried this companies map.
Their stage 1 for the tfsi 200 goes to 248, which is a bit higher than superchips, but totally believable as its lower than many other companies' maps.
Anyway, they didn't offer switchable mapping at the time, so i went bluefin, and now im considering getting their switchable unit with their map instead. obviously im not going to spend the £400 it'd cost for another 8 odd bhp for stage 1, but once i get the downpipe and sports cat, i was asking what they could do then.
They claim that one of the employees mkV golf gti was running almost 300bhp on only a carbonio with a pipercross filter and full milltek tbe.
They also said that they're own rolling road was the lowest figure of four they had seen it on, and that they're own rr showed 298bhp.
He's since sld the car, so i couldn't get a go to see, but ive got no reason to doubt them on the figures really.
I know a lot of people on here will say it cant be done etc, but what im more interested in is, sating they did do it, in order to get this amount of power out of my engine, surely they must be changing some of the values in the ecu to setings which will ultimately damage the car right? thats what im worried about anyway.
They had an evo in when i was there and he was talking about how high they can be tuned by changing the air to fuel raito, but is this not something which shouldnt be changed? apr state in the info about their hpfp that they are one of the few companies offering hpfp's for the tfsi who stick to the vag's air to fuel ratio for the engine and that to do otherwise is harmful to the engine.
I was just wandering what everyone thought. i know that on the milltek. com page for the leon fr tfsi, there's a media article about star performance getting 290 odd from the fr tfsi with only a milltek and a filter, so im not worried about wether or not it can be done, just wandering if its going to blow my engine, cause if it was that easy then why dont revo etc offer this power on these upgrades?

Poverty

You wont get anywhere near 300hp without a hpfp with the k03 2.0tfsi.

wild willy

Aug 4, 2003
Wales
Tuning by altering the AFR is very ominous since its quite a dliberate measurement, too rich and power is lost but egt's are kept low, too lean and your engine goes bang. I would ask him too expand upon this.

Poverty

sorry if this is a stupid question, but if you can easily get 300+ on a k04 without a hpfp, why can you not get it on a k03?

also, check out
http://www.millteksport.com/product.news.read.cfm?articleid=24

so 291 may be possible without the hpfp

Because the k03 is a smallish turbo.

And that doesnt really prove anything, thats rolling road lottery.

With those mods above and a hpfp I reckon you would be looking at around 280hp going by other k03 cars with similiar mods.

beeko85

Apr 27, 2009
Bangor, N.I
Tuning by altering the AFR is very ominous since its quite a dliberate measurement, too rich and power is lost but egt's are kept low, too lean and your engine goes bang. I would ask him too expand upon this.

yeah he was saying that, which i kind of already knew from reading up on hpfp's, and was just thinking that the afr shouldn't be altered too much if you want to keep the car for any amount of time.
i mean, i wouldnt have a problem taking my car to the place mentioned in the milltek article, star performance in fife, so should i really worry too much about this guy?
its a good company and ive had maps from them before, and even if he's claiming 300, if star performance can get 290 with the exact same tbe, 10bhp diference isn't anything to talk about from 2 different rolling roads, is it?

beeko85

Apr 27, 2009
Bangor, N.I
Because the k03 is a smallish turbo.

And that doesnt really prove anything, thats rolling road lottery.

With those mods above and a hpfp I reckon you would be looking at around 280hp going by other k03 cars with similiar mods.

sorry i dont know too much about how turbo's work etc, but if its the same 2.0 litre engine, with the same fuel pump and accelerator etc, would the same amount of ful not be going into each engine if they were both being driven identically?
im not tyring to argue at all so hope you dont think i am, i just dont unerstand how it all works

Poverty

sorry i dont know too much about how turbo's work etc, but if its the same 2.0 litre engine, with the same fuel pump and accelerator etc, would the same amount of ful not be going into each engine if they were both being driven identically?
im not tyring to argue at all so hope you dont think i am, i just dont unerstand how it all works

I understand what you mean but basically the standard pump cannot flow quick enough in the mid range to deliver the fuel that is needed, so in laymans terms regardless of your engine having a lower bhp and a smaller turbo, both engines will hit a flat spot in mid range as the ecu pulls things back waiting for the pump to catch up.

beeko85

Apr 27, 2009
Bangor, N.I
i think the 280 is a more reasonable figure with those mods.

id be pretty happy with 280 from an exhaust and custom map to be honest, the superchips map for a tbe is 262ish.
could this other companies rolling road be out by as much as 20bhp?
or maybe its just a bit of exageration to get themselves more business?
either way, i think id be happier if it was one of the above than if it really was as high as they claim, as id worry that the engine would get damaged over time

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
Anyway, that 290 figure is dubious anyway.. stars rollers have always been doubtful...

Maybe you can get 300hp for a BWa engine, but you will be running the crap out of it, fueling and turbo wise, which would not be relaible for daily driving. also the figure would be very peaky, you could not sustain that power over any range of rpm's. Quite simply the high pressure fuel pump is not capable.

Have they got any power graphs to show the figures?

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
Will it be a sustainable 280bhp?? What is the intercooler like on the FR? Once you push a turbo to it's limits the ancillaries tend to suffer with the extra heat.

The intercooler on the BWA is the same as the BWJ cupra, but smaller than the S3 BHZ engine.

beeko85

Apr 27, 2009
Bangor, N.I
im planning on an s3 intercooler anyway, just for reliability reasons, though it wont really add to performance at all will it?

Poverty

im planning on an s3 intercooler anyway, just for reliability reasons, though it wont really add to performance at all will it?

Intercooler will just give you more consistent peak power.

SP.DK

Regards from Stig
Jun 3, 2009
Aarhus Denmark
I have S3 ic, Milltek turboback and Carbonio, and do 274 hp and 406 nm on rolling road mapping.
Dont know how much that is precis in English bhp and tourge.
And i was told it could do more if i wanted to push the limit.

Last edited:

beeko85

Apr 27, 2009
Bangor, N.I
I have S3 ic, Milltek turboback and Carbonio, and do 274 hp and 406 nm on rolling road mapping.
Dont know how much that is precis in English bhp and tourge.
And i was told it could do more if i wanted to push the limit.

i think id be happy with those figures. take it you dont have any issues with fuel cut or feel the need to upgrade the pump?

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
Just out of interest to some of you , i picked up Audi driver magazine in wh smiths yesterday and they had a superchips rolling road day , with several audis , edition 30's ect and the figures were all over the place , standard edition 30 making 280 bhp and stage 2 cars making 360 , so just goes to show that it is indeed a lottery.

oh and the superchips had the biggest power for the mods compared to other cars with same mods :think:

beeko85

Apr 27, 2009
Bangor, N.I
yeah i know rr's can give massive differences, though superchips seem to claim the lowest power gains in pretty much every stage they offer. i do like how the fr drives with the bluefin stage 1 though. ill give stage 2 a go first to see once i get the full tbe, its only an extra £50 for the stage 2 map so its a worth a try before i spend an extra £400 on a new remap

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.