Leon FR TFSI- Using a LOT of oil.

stuvine

Seems my local dealer knows nothing of this problem.........got it booked in for an oil consumption test.
Lets see what I can get out of em under warranty!!! Although if it's normal, there's not a lot they can do, but we'll see how long before they realise. I'll keep you all updated!

Stu

C_ED_99

Jan 27, 2010
Seems my local dealer knows nothing of this problem.........got it booked in for an oil consumption test.
Lets see what I can get out of em under warranty!!! Although if it's normal, there's not a lot they can do, but we'll see how long before they realise. I'll keep you all updated!

Stu

Good job.

I'm surprised they can pass emissions testing using that much oil...

stuvine

oh yes ! [:@]
22 months on and still runs like a bag of shite , worst car i ever had.

Oh not good, what's up with it? Have to admit i've had the FR 6 months now, when I got it thought i'd have it a year or so then go to a Cupra, but this oil thing, and it's needed 2 wheel bearings after only 25K, and the local dealer service is TERRIBLE(they've tried to stick Seat into a current Ford dealership, and it doesn't work!)
Took 6 visits to replace 4 wheel bearings as firstly the replaced the rear two after service manager said he always replaced them in pairs, but front one was knackered aswell, had to go back to have that diagnosed, then back to replace, but they only did one after service manager again said they'd do the pair, so booked in again to get the other one done(after a lot of chasing), left car a day, rang to see if it was ready to be told they didn't have the part, eventually got it done the next week! Pretty terrible!
So i'm not holding out much hope for this oil consumption thing![:@]
I've had a Honda Civic Type-R for 3 years now(55plate, last of the old shape) as my other car, and i've not had a single issue with it in the whole time, dealer has been spot on, it's just a pity the new type-r isn't as good as the old one!:think:

Stu

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Mine seems to use more as it is maturing. Dans was using oil, and he recently had the engine to bits to find it needed new valve stem seals - his is also a 2.0T BWA as found in the FR. Think it had 40000 and something miles on it when that work was done.

stuvine

Time for an update!
Well, been to Seat dealer today(I won't name names, unless you want me to!), sat for an hour whilst they were supposedly prepping the car for its oil consumption test. Service guy came after an hour to tell me that the technicians didn't know how to do a Seat oil consumption test, and would take ANOTHER 40 mins for them to find out how to do it, then claimed tech had said thet these cars usually use 1ltr of oil every 1000miles, so I played dumb, said that sounds like an awful lot!
So he asked if I wanted to speak to the tech about it.....yes please!!!!
Waited another 20 mins, spoke to the tech who said he had got the instructions to do the oil consumption test, and they would need the car for a couple of days, but that these DIESEL cars can use a lot of oil.............mine is a TFSI PETROL!!!!!!
So in an hour and 20 mins, my car hadn't moved from the spot, they'd done nothing and now I have to book it in again!!!
USELESS!!!!!!

samevans_FR

ive done 6k in mine and just filled my oil up again today lol, not good

jammymark

Apr 23, 2010
Nottingham
I think it must be common to all the turbo engine's. I've just sold my 59' Ibiza FR 1.4 TSI which i know has a supercharger aswell (somewhere else to burn oil from) but that was getting through a litre every 1500 - 2000 miles. However, new shape Leon TDi SE i've just bought is coming up to 10000 miles and hasn't used a drop! In fact i was putting more oil in the FR than i do my 1974 Triumph, and that does leak oil!! :rolleyes:

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
Apepreantly these engines weep oil from the valve stem seals naturally, causing alot of consumption.

Mine got worse around a year ago, it was going from top to bottom of dipstick in 2000 miles I think. Now ive had the seals replaced, its alot better, but of course still consuming oil.

stuvine

I've been offered an oil consumption test by Seat dealer, but if it comes outside of seats recommended usage, then i've got to pay for test, and they won't tell me what Seats recommended usage actually is!!!
Hmmmmmm, what do I do on that one!
Stu

jonny neate

Got a brand new Leon FR last October and was told to check the oil at around 1500 miles as they use a bit when running in.
Checked it at 2000 miles and it had used about a 1 1/2 pints, topped it up and have checked it today with 6000 miles on the clock and it has not used any.
Hope it continues like that . Thanks,Jonny

stuvine

Have to say i'm a little disappointed!
Thought VW group would be able to make an engine that didn't use oil from new! My 55 plate Civic Type-R doesn't seem to use any, and that thing revs like a bitch!

jcp

Dec 18, 2008
Herts
My 07 FrTfsi has done 14.5k and had never used any significant oil until I got a ping and oil light (around a very long/quick roundabout) yesterday. Just under 2 litres required!!!!!!!
Not having needed to check often before I am bothered. Just coming up to 1st MOT, annual service and I think I will go for the extended warranty.

stuvine

My 07 FrTfsi has done 14.5k and had never used any significant oil until I got a ping and oil light (around a very long/quick roundabout) yesterday. Just under 2 litres required!!!!!!!
Not having needed to check often before I am bothered. Just coming up to 1st MOT, annual service and I think I will go for the extended warranty.

Yip......long fast roundabout......that's where mine 1st pinged the oil light!

Dangerous Dave

Dec 11, 2006
I've been offered an oil consumption test by Seat dealer, but if it comes outside of seats recommended usage, then i've got to pay for test, and they won't tell me what Seats recommended usage actually is!!!
Hmmmmmm, what do I do on that one!
Stu

VAG regard 1L of oil in 1000k/620 miles or above as normal any less and they will investigate. It states this in the manual so surprised the dealer won't tell you.

stuvine

VAG regard 1L of oil in 1000k/620 miles or above as normal any less and they will investigate. It states this in the manual so surprised the dealer won't tell you.

It says in manual that "engine could use up to 1L of oil every 1000k", but this is in generic Leon book, considering mechanic thought mine was a Diesel to be using that amount, i'm unsure about the petrol side of things.
But I see where your coming from!

Lukeyx

Rootmonkey
Nov 30, 2008
Grimsby
Never even known of this issue! Just checked my oil, less than 3k and theres nothing on the dipstick!!

Which oil is recommended for the FR TFSI 2.0t please? Thanks alot!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.