Leon FR TFSI- Using a LOT of oil.

Jan 1, 2006
Sheffield
Just filled it up today! Bought it from R33SY about 2-3 months ago now, just checked the oil, bone dry! literally, im suprised my engine hasn't seized up! SHIIIIIT!!!

Anywhooooo Castrol Edge 5W30 is what i put in it! :D

Running what you are, you should be changing the oil every 3k and checking weekly mate.

Last edited:

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
I've just spent an hour fishing round the net for info on tfsi's burning oil and i didn't find out to much other than mobil 1 is the best bet. Halfords is castrol in a halfords can. Oil catch pots seem to catch a good bit of oil. But they just catch it and don't dump it back in the sump.

Is there anyone with a car thats done a good few miles. I just wondered if its something that gets better with use like a lot of the the older 1.9tdi's. Or do they continue to get worse!?

catch cans are designed to capture oil vapours in the pvc valve not actual oil.

they also capture condensate , and the stuff it captures is not nice and you would never want to put it back in your car.

Wire_Gal

Sep 20, 2010
Warrington, cheshire
Mine uses loads too.. :( Ive never put so much oil in a car.. but on two occasions its been a close call to bone dry. Oops. I used Castrol Edge (I think) VW504/507 5w30.

DanH

Jun 24, 2010
Warrington, Cheshire
Had mine serviced in november and since then have done about 4500, 2 days ago the STOP OIL PRESSURE warning message started beeping when going round the roundabout... Put 1 and a half litres in and it was just above the MIN line on the dipstick.

Using castrol edge 5w30, the missus picked me some up from motorworld, £18 for 1 litre!!! Made her take it back then went and got a cheeky bargain at £35 for 4 litres in Asda :D

shnazzle

Glass-Half-Full Member
Sep 9, 2011
Northumberland
I don't think this is classed as a true "problem". It's kind of a given fact with the Leon TFSI it seems.
I've topped mine up again yesterday. Another liter in after 2k miles

Adman77

Audre Est Facre
Feb 13, 2012
Hertfordshire
Ok just came across this thread and I'm now having second thoughts about my cupra hunting

Also done some of my own research on this and according to some of the Audi forums there is a solution and it's changing the piston rings

Apparently the original tolerances were way too low and VAG have brought out a revised part (higher tolerances) and this has greatly helped the oil consumption

Has anyone else read about this? Would like it if someone could clarify this just so I haven't got the wrong end of the stick on this one

sk4tec

Mar 8, 2011
I've bought a 4 litre bottle from my dealer. It was only 22 quid, its 502 and 504 spec. Ie its not the top spec I can use but its within min spec. AFAIK only tge 1.4 is know to have a big oil.problem.

That said not fitting an oil sensor is penny pinching! My golf tdi also used oil and did have a sensor fitted. I'm checking every 1000 miles. Mine uses 1/4 l per 1000

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

rllmuk

Apr 23, 2005
Ok just came across this thread and I'm now having second thoughts about my cupra hunting

Also done some of my own research on this and according to some of the Audi forums there is a solution and it's changing the piston rings

Apparently the original tolerances were way too low and VAG have brought out a revised part (higher tolerances) and this has greatly helped the oil consumption

Has anyone else read about this? Would like it if someone could clarify this just so I haven't got the wrong end of the stick on this one

As said, it's not a major widespread issue. I've run my TFSI since new and it has just needed a litre between services. Considering the amount of tuning that goes on with this engine, and the variations, this isn't like DPF/Injectors or the current 1.4 twincharged issues.

Marshall

Jul 7, 2008
Bonnie Scotland
Personally I'm on my second Tfsi and the first one used around half a litre between services and my second one uses nothing.
This isn't a vag issue most manufactures engines use a little oil nowadays.
Is it so much of a drama to check your oil every 1000 miles?
I also think oil consumption can be reduced by using good quality oil and not abusing the engine whilst it's not properly warmed up

Sent from my iPhone

The King

Same here. 2007 yr Cupra. Bought it new. Was light on throttle on first 3000 km /2000 miles. Always let the turbo spin and cool down after the trip.
No real oil consumption for 80 000 km / 50 000 miles. Can go through the services (15 000 km) with no refilling - oil level goes from max to min on that period.
Oil is Mobil 5w-40

Jun 25, 2012
Gateshead
is this more a common thing with older models or newer models too?

im currently trying to decide between buying a diesel fr or petrol (both 2L),

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.