Leon mk2 keeps braking top mounts help!

300bhpdaily

May 26, 2020
Hi this is a strange one my Leon cupra mk2 keeps needing new top mounts every few months they keep developing a knocking noise it’s driving me made. I have got them from euros everytime as where normally I’d used genuine vw but only as I want to buy some ecs top mounts but don’t want to waste money. The car has coilovers and white line anti roll bars with brand new drop links too. Is anyone else having this problem? It’s driving me made I only changed the nearside one last month as it started knocking after 3 months of being fitted. I don’t use the car every day either as I have a company car so only use it weekends.

Deleted member 128267

Hi this is a strange one my Leon cupra mk2 keeps needing new top mounts every few months they keep developing a knocking noise it’s driving me made. I have got them from euros everytime as where normally I’d used genuine vw but only as I want to buy some ecs top mounts but don’t want to waste money. The car has coilovers and white line anti roll bars with brand new drop links too. Is anyone else having this problem? It’s driving me made I only changed the nearside one last month as it started knocking after 3 months of being fitted. I don’t use the car every day either as I have a company car so only use it weekends.

would polybush top mounts not help?

Reactions: KCRTCupra

300bhpdaily

May 26, 2020
would polybush top mounts not help?
They don’t make them for this car ecs do a uprated top mount which I’m gonna order but was just wondering if it’s happened to any other people and how they sorted it. I don’t want to buy the ecs top mount for £130 and it do the same thing coz that’ll be a waste of money.

t0m_t0m

Aug 9, 2020
Hull
How stiff is your car and what is your set-up for? What are the wheel and tyre specs?

"Huch 'arqon Huch potlhwI' 'ay' Duj HublaHbe' Hoch."
or
"A chain is only as strong as its weakest link."

If your set-up is rock hard, for say a track, and although you're not driving far, depending on how cack the roads are round your way top mounts maybe taking a ton of punishment as the other components aren't giving.

Road car set-ups are a compromise between comfort, handling and extending the lifespan of the car components.

Admittedly it was usually wheel bearings and ball joints that expired first from past experience with stiff set-ups, but my Mk2 is my first VAG car which may have differing suspension angles to the Jap stuff I used to play with. The impacts and kinetic energy might be being driven directly into the top mounts, like a hammer hitting a punch.

Also, not trying to call you daft as I don't have a clue what your experience is, but are you fitting the top mounts in the correct orientation? As in the front of the mount facing the front of the car, and not towards the rear or towards the engine bay?

300bhpdaily

May 26, 2020
How stiff is your car and what is your set-up for? What are the wheel and tyre specs?

"Huch 'arqon Huch potlhwI' 'ay' Duj HublaHbe' Hoch."
or
"A chain is only as strong as its weakest link."

If your set-up is rock hard, for say a track, and although you're not driving far, depending on how cack the roads are round your way top mounts maybe taking a ton of punishment as the other components aren't giving.

Road car set-ups are a compromise between comfort, handling and extending the lifespan of the car components.

Admittedly it was usually wheel bearings and ball joints that expired first from past experience with stiff set-ups, but my Mk2 is my first VAG car which may have differing suspension angles to the Jap stuff I used to play with. The impacts and kinetic energy might be being driven directly into the top mounts, like a hammer hitting a punch.

Also, not trying to call you daft as I don't have a clue what your experience is, but are you fitting the top mounts in the correct orientation? As in the front of the mount facing the front of the car, and not towards the rear or towards the engine bay?
Hi yes I’m definitely fitting them the right orientation. I’ve built the car to go to the ring but to actually drive there also not on a trailer. It is very stiff and poly bushed with bigger anti roll bars. I think you are right tho and I appreciate your reply. They are clearly under excessive loads from the cars setup. I’ll get the 034 track density top mounts front and rear and fit them see if they last abit longer. I will keep this post updated Incase someone else has the same problem.

SilvaBlack

Nov 15, 2017
I've had this peoblem too. It only got worse after an APR Stage 1+. Instead of buying some inserts, I have filled in the mounts with some black silicone. Works like a charm and haven't felt increased vibrations from this mod. It does take a few days until the silicone gets hardened.