Leon mk3 first impression

mklock

Go Racers GO
Apr 1, 2004
Stevenage
I have just dragged my wife to see the new Leon in the flesh as I have spent the last few days discussing it and wondering if I was being harsh.

First thing she said was that it looked boring . I don't think its quite that bad but as I said previously it appears more normal than sporty . I had parked my car next to it to enthisise the point. I then made her sit in the car. She like me didn't really like the fussiness of the angles of the interior. I kinda left the dealership feeling even more negative.

Looks like I won't be getting my 5th Leon. Shame really. I'm really surprised that I'm favouring the juke nismo instead which could say alot about me really but I am still a little muddled

Snarks

May 18, 2002
Lancashire
Visit site
I have a test drive of the FR booked for Saturday in Preston

Make sure you go to Fisher's in Galgate as well. I'd rate them over *****s any day. Whenever I go there for test drives, it's just me in the car. Much more relaxing than having a salesman sat next to you telling you which way to go. When I booked my last service online, it showed them as having a 5 star rating as against 3 stars for Preston. I've bought from both in the past so I speak from personal experience.

PS. Why does the Preston garage appear as *****s in the forum?

Deleted member 74601

I saw it in IMG Seat in Warrington the other day and it's much better in the flesh than in the pictures, really nice car in the flesh, and I'd happily buy one.

The interior doesn't look as nice in the flesh compared to the pictures, but it's a hell of a lot better than the current one.

zephead

Make sure you go to Fisher's in Galgate as well. I'd rate them over *****s any day. Whenever I go there for test drives, it's just me in the car. Much more relaxing than having a salesman sat next to you telling you which way to go. When I booked my last service online, it showed them as having a 5 star rating as against 3 stars for Preston. I've bought from both in the past so I speak from personal experience.

PS. Why does the Preston garage appear as *****s in the forum?

Thanks for the sound advice, I will check them out. I've just moved back up North and was
looking for a good place to go for services.

Snarks

May 18, 2002
Lancashire
Visit site
I've just moved back up North and was
looking for a good place to go for services.

Let's look at the evidence:

RM Fisher : 5 stars rating on the SEAT website, twice represented SEAT UK in the international dealer awards, free courtesy cars

***** : 3 stars, make you provide your own insurance for courtesy cars and return your car with problems or bits missing/coming loose (on more than one occasion).

I'll let you decide where you want to go. For non-dealer work, I can recommend ADS in Preston or Awesome GTI in Irlam. Anyway, getting off topic here.

I've had 3 test drives at different dealers in the FR 150 TDi. I'm comparing the car to the MK2 PD170 version. I've never been in the facelifted CR version.

The more time I spent in the car, the more I liked it. On the last drive, I spent an hour out on my own so I chose a mixture of motorway, city and winding roads to get a good feel of how the car behaved. I set the engine to sport mode. I think the earlier test drives were in ECO mode. It had the Tech pack installed. There a load of stuff you can display/configure using the touch screen but I didn't get a chance to go through all of it.

The first thing I noticed was the suspension is much more comfortable compared to mine where you can feel every little bump in the road. Performance wise, as Jay-Bob 25 pointed out in another thread, it's only 0.2 seconds slower to 60 than the old 170 engine. It's not a Cupra but then it's only £20 per year VED and free for the first year.

I don't like the door handles though. The hidden rear door handles were a great idea on the MK2.

zephead

Let's look at the evidence:

RM Fisher : 5 stars rating on the SEAT website, twice represented SEAT UK in the international dealer awards, free courtesy cars

***** : 3 stars, make you provide your own insurance for courtesy cars and return your car with problems or bits missing/coming loose (on more than one occasion).

I'll let you decide where you want to go. For non-dealer work, I can recommend ADS in Preston or Awesome GTI in Irlam. Anyway, getting off topic here.

I've had 3 test drives at different dealers in the FR 150 TDi. I'm comparing the car to the MK2 PD170 version. I've never been in the facelifted CR version.

Many thanks for that guidance, looks as though the proof is in the pudding! I will pay them a visit. I took the new FR out on Saturday and I was prepared to be disappointed, especially given the performance of the K1. I wasn't totally sold on the new design and those rear door handles are a big step backward; they protrude a lot too and look cheap. I guess we have the upcoming 3-door car to thank for those. However, I was pleasantly impressed by the drive I must say. It felt really nice and the performance wasn't bad either. The downside is that the dealership told me that the 184 version of the FR wouldn't be here until October and that the Cupra wasn't even on the radar and could be 12-18 months away. I'm not sure how accurate that information is.

On my way to the Seat dealer, I spotted the Megane RS at Renault next door. What a nice looking car that is and the cabin is superb. I booked a test drive for next Saturday and I feel a little sad that the prospect of driving the RS is exciting me much more than the new Leon. It's pretty expensive though but a low mileage a pre-reg car could bring it well within budget. I was also surprised by the stir the K1 caused; three employees at the Renault dealership came out to have a look. I'll be upset to let the K1 go as it's been fantastic.

Cheers,

Keith.

mklock

Go Racers GO
Apr 1, 2004
Stevenage
On my way to the Seat dealer, I spotted the Megane RS at Renault next door. What a nice looking car that is and the cabin is superb. I booked a test drive for next Saturday and I feel a little sad that the prospect of driving the RS is exciting me much more than the new Leon. It's pretty expensive though but a low mileage a pre-reg car could bring it well within budget. I was also surprised by the stir the K1 caused; three employees at the Renault dealership came out to have a look. I'll be upset to let the K1 go as it's been fantastic.

Cheers,

Keith.

I think this is exactly how i was feeling. The new leon is a good car, it drives well, its good on fuel and lots of toys but its suddenly not really that desirable as it once was. I did think about the renault myself but dealers are very few near where i live and work. Id be interested in your thoughts once you have driven it.

Mike

zephead

I think this is exactly how i was feeling. The new leon is a good car, it drives well, its good on fuel and lots of toys but its suddenly not really that desirable as it once was. I did think about the renault myself but dealers are very few near where i live and work. Id be interested in your thoughts once you have driven it.

Mike

Will do Mike! I'm going to give the Focus ST another go too. However, the Megane RS has that 'wow' factor which I got from the K1 when I first saw it. No disrespect to anybody but I never personally thought I'd get that from a French built car.

kugaman1

Mar 6, 2013
Aberdeenshire
The megane is a stunning car...

But good luck owning one, ive had 2 french cars over the years and will never have another, both were very problematic.
It seems to me that with most manufacturers, when a part fails it generally fails over a few miles giving you a chance to get it fixed before it totally dies.
With French cars the parts tend to die straight away, there doesnt seem to be much middle ground!

Oh and the Focus ST? My word that is a fugly car, how did that ever get signed off as a sports variant? Mind you, the engine is pretty handy tho!

Andy:p

knoted

Oct 23, 2012
Contender successors to my Leon 1P in 2014/2015

- Opel Astra OPC / Vauxhall Astra VXR ( expensive ! )
- Kia Cee'd GT ( the "budget option" )
- Another 2nd hand Leon 1P

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
I went to have a good look round a new FR and SE last night at the dealers (they had a white and a red FR and a red SE). Didn’t drive the car as was an open evening, salesman were not particularly interested in selling cars either :shrug:

Red FR
Pretty much a standard car with the Winter Pack from what I could tell with the 17” alloys, halogens and the smaller 5” screen.

Exterior
To be honest it didn’t do a great deal for me, the door handles seem to stickout a hell of a long way from the body. The alloys reminded me of some I have seen on A3 S-line in the past – 5 broad spokes, and fairly forgettable.
First thing my g/f said was the mirrors are tiny and she was right, the vision is not great.

Interior
Standard seats were pretty comfortable, and of course the dash is a lot better, large cubby hole in the centre is odd though and pretty big. Heater dials very VW, the Door plastics and switches are of the hard plastic MK2 type, in fact the window switches could have been the same. Steering wheel is smaller and nice to hold, the Cruise Control stalk is an update on the current one in the same place, in some pictures I had seen an additional low stalk, but that must have been non-UK spec. Stalks feel soft to touch and operate. MFD, was monochrome, I imagine due to not having the Technology Pack, similar in look to the F/L Mk2s. Having been in my friends Golf SE recently and noticed his carpeted under-seat cubby I checked on the FR, yes its there but its small and not carpeted lol (although I have never used mine).

Red SE
Had Technology Pack and LEDS.

Exterior
I don’t remember the alloys at all! To be honest difficult to tell apart from the FR with the wheels both being 17”

Interior
This car was also inside, had power but no key so I couldn’t play with all the toys. The bigger screen is smart that’s for sure and seems to have a huge number of options (most unavailable as no key). When I turned the Screen on it said ‘ Low Fuel detected do you wish to navigate to the nearest Fuel Station?’ which I hadn’t seen on a car before.
The Screen has a horizontal sensor running along the bottom that picks up when you move your finger towards it and slightly animates the screen. Seats were ok but nothing special.

White FR
Had 18”, Technology Pack and Alcantara seats.

Exterior
This car was outside locked with the engine, stereo and lights on. Didn’t seem to notice the huge handles so much on this one, not sure why. The optional 18” Alloys looks good (not the titanium ones). As we know the LED lights do look good, especially the rear ones. I must be honest and say the front ones were not that bright at all, the LED DRL looked good but the actual headlight, gave off very little light. The diesel engine was fairly noisy at tickover, but it was running for at least 30mins stationary so that may be why.

Interior
What struck me was the very bright screen, I would imagine it can be dimmed, again it looked pretty smart. The MFD is colour on cars with the Technolgy Pack.

Overall

Reading back what I have written I don’t appear very impressed, but that’s not entirely true (and all reports are it drives great). To me if you want a good looking car stuffed with the latest tech just like a golf, but a little cheaper and better looking, it will be a great choice. If you are thinking of upgrading from your Cupra, Cupra R, FR I think you may be slightly disappointed by the looks at least.

Good IMO
Interior is a step up on the MK2 although not as much as I expected
Boot looks same size or nearly as Mk2
LED lights look great from behind and the DRL
Switch gear is soft touch

Poor IMO:
Hasn’t got the wow or the aggressive factor that the Mk2 or Mk1 for that matter had.
Could be any other VAG family car, I really hope the 3dr Cupra is more in your face.
Some trim very hard plastic still
LED Headlights don’t seem to illuminate that far ahead of car, our Ibiza was parked next to it and standard Halogens were better!
Price – decent spec yours for £24k

Ps g/f thought it was a nice car….;)

Last edited:

Subc

May 12, 2008
Scotland
Whoever designed the door handles should be whipped they look like they came off a lorry.
Saw a FR today Stunning from the front, side on well sadly not for me a cluster of angles and those bloody handles.:cry:

mklock

Go Racers GO
Apr 1, 2004
Stevenage
Having been procrastinating for some time I made a point of test driving the Leon again yesterday and the Fabia vrs .

Whilst at first glance the cars exterior doesn't blow you away it is growing on me. It took the 2.0 150 manual Fr out for a solid hours drive.

On the road the car is definitely better than the mk2. Grip was fantastic and can now see what all the fuss is about. However the interior is so dull and uninspiring. To put this into context, Nisan have loaned me a juke tekna and although the drive is uninspiring the cabin feels a nicer place to be and actually feels more premium. I noticed this straight away when I climbed back in. I then drove a fabia vrs and felt that the openness of the cabin is more inviting, however the drive sucked. It has no grip!

I have narrowed my choice down to the Leon fr 1.8 (manual or dsg ) or the Nissan juke nismo, which I'm test driving again tomorrow.

My brain is doing circles at the moment on one hand I want a fun car and the other I want something kind to my wallet. Then I have the decision regarding dsg if I went for the leon. I think if I went diesel I'd go dsg, ...so am I trying to tell myself to go diesel? You can see how mixed up I am now :)

kugaman1

Mar 6, 2013
Aberdeenshire
Thats odd,
I used to have a Juke acenta and thought the interior was kinda cheap feeling.
I bought it new with the satnav pack, so it had all the bits.
I thought the colur display for changing the driving mode looked incredibly tacky.
I feel the Leon interior is much more classy and premium feeling.

Maybe the new Juke tekna is different. The Nismo looks nice, theres one down the road from me. Not sure how the dig-t is on fuel tho....

Andy

mklock

Go Racers GO
Apr 1, 2004
Stevenage
The nismo does 30mpg urban and 40mpg combined. I get about 42mpg out of my current leon. Its not cheap to run. I'm not sure if I like it because its quite good or just different to the Leon. Will hopefully straighten that one out tomorrow :)

Ashworth

Feb 2, 2010
Nottinghamshire
I have narrowed my choice down to the Leon fr 1.8 (manual or dsg ) or the Nissan juke nismo, which I'm test driving again tomorrow.

My brain is doing circles at the moment on one hand I want a fun car and the other I want something kind to my wallet. Then I have the decision regarding dsg if I went for the leon. I think if I went diesel I'd go dsg, ...so am I trying to tell myself to go diesel? You can see how mixed up I am now :)

I was in the same position and couldn't make up my mind although I definitely wanted to go for a Leon Mk 3.
I couldn't make my mind up between petrol or diesel and then manual or DSG.
I went to my local dealer for a test drive of the 2.0 150 tdi very much with the idea of ordering the higher powered 184 model. However, as mentioned in a number of threads they weren't taking orders for this model and it was unlikely to be available until November at the earliest.

From the test drive I just felt that the 150 tdi had something slightly lacking compared to my current Mk2 Leon with the 170 CR engine. Very much on the spur of the moment, madness really considering the money I'm spending, I decided to take a chance and order the 1.8 tsi. After a series of diesel cars I was ready for a change.

I ordered my manual 1.8 tsi FR 6 weeks ago now and hope to get it early in June. However, I am now beginning to think should I have ordered the DSG model?
I need to stop worrying and look forward to getting my car. I'm sure the manual version of the 1.8 ill be a fantastic car to drive.

Starbucks78

Oct 7, 2009
I too also considered a juke, however I would say after taking one out even in top spec it felt very plastic and cheap. IMO inferior to the new Leon. Aside from the tiny boot, I felt very claustrophobic inside and so it was not a comfortable experience for me.

northernmonkey

My view is that the interior is very classy and well put together, a massive difference over the previous Leon and the current Ibiza but its each to they're own I guess in terms of how they perceive it...personally, I like it because its not too fussy, good quality dials and buttons etc. my partners Fiesta (58plate) on the other hand just seems fussy with cheap silver plastic everywhere...it really is subjective!

wiganlad81

Mar 27, 2013
I went to have a good look round a new FR and SE last night at the dealers (they had a white and a red FR and a red SE). Didn’t drive the car as was an open evening, salesman were not particularly interested in selling cars either :shrug:

Red FR
Pretty much a standard car with the Winter Pack from what I could tell with the 17” alloys, halogens and the smaller 5” screen.

Exterior
To be honest it didn’t do a great deal for me, the door handles seem to stickout a hell of a long way from the body. The alloys reminded me of some I have seen on A3 S-line in the past – 5 broad spokes, and fairly forgettable.
First thing my g/f said was the mirrors are tiny and she was right, the vision is not great.

Interior
Standard seats were pretty comfortable, and of course the dash is a lot better, large cubby hole in the centre is odd though and pretty big. Heater dials very VW, the Door plastics and switches are of the hard plastic MK2 type, in fact the window switches could have been the same. Steering wheel is smaller and nice to hold, the Cruise Control stalk is an update on the current one in the same place, in some pictures I had seen an additional low stalk, but that must have been non-UK spec. Stalks feel soft to touch and operate. MFD, was monochrome, I imagine due to not having the Technology Pack, similar in look to the F/L Mk2s. Having been in my friends Golf SE recently and noticed his carpeted under-seat cubby I checked on the FR, yes its there but its small and not carpeted lol (although I have never used mine).

Red SE
Had Technology Pack and LEDS.

Exterior
I don’t remember the alloys at all! To be honest difficult to tell apart from the FR with the wheels both being 17”

Interior
This car was also inside, had power but no key so I couldn’t play with all the toys. The bigger screen is smart that’s for sure and seems to have a huge number of options (most unavailable as no key). When I turned the Screen on it said ‘ Low Fuel detected do you wish to navigate to the nearest Fuel Station?’ which I hadn’t seen on a car before.
The Screen has a horizontal sensor running along the bottom that picks up when you move your finger towards it and slightly animates the screen. Seats were ok but nothing special.

White FR
Had 18”, Technology Pack and Alcantara seats.

Exterior
This car was outside locked with the engine, stereo and lights on. Didn’t seem to notice the huge handles so much on this one, not sure why. The optional 18” Alloys looks good (not the titanium ones). As we know the LED lights do look good, especially the rear ones. I must be honest and say the front ones were not that bright at all, the LED DRL looked good but the actual headlight, gave off very little light. The diesel engine was fairly noisy at tickover, but it was running for at least 30mins stationary so that may be why.

Interior
What struck me was the very bright screen, I would imagine it can be dimmed, again it looked pretty smart. The MFD is colour on cars with the Technolgy Pack.

Overall

Reading back what I have written I don’t appear very impressed, but that’s not entirely true (and all reports are it drives great). To me if you want a good looking car stuffed with the latest tech just like a golf, but a little cheaper and better looking, it will be a great choice. If you are thinking of upgrading from your Cupra, Cupra R, FR I think you may be slightly disappointed by the looks at least.

Good IMO
Interior is a step up on the MK2 although not as much as I expected
Boot looks same size or nearly as Mk2
LED lights look great from behind and the DRL
Switch gear is soft touch

Poor IMO:
Hasn’t got the wow or the aggressive factor that the Mk2 or Mk1 for that matter had.
Could be any other VAG family car, I really hope the 3dr Cupra is more in your face.
Some trim very hard plastic still
LED Headlights don’t seem to illuminate that far ahead of car, our Ibiza was parked next to it and standard Halogens were better!
Price – decent spec yours for £24k

Ps g/f thought it was a nice car….;)

With regards to cruise control and another stalk. That's the models with lane assist. Crusie control sits on the mini stalk and lane assist on main stalk.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise