Leon Mk3 Wheel Sizes?

Bubbs

Jul 18, 2013
Nice one, cheer Skidpan.

I thought about going smaller when i bought the wheels + tyres for my Mazda but ended up sticking with 17s in the end... AWFUL timing for purchase, cos I'd almost saved enough money for a set, only for it to chuck it down with snow about a month before I was ready to press the 'buy' button.

Result = winter tyre shortage (this was in late 2010), so it turned into more about what was available tyre wise.

Slightly better prepared this time around though! :)

Bubbs

Jul 18, 2013
Okay, for reference purposes, this is the back of one of the standard FR 17" alloys:

20131018_142619.jpg

7.5J X 17
ET 51

alski

I'm thinking of switching from an '07 Audi A3 Sportback into a '13 Leon FR. I have a cool set of winter rims (S3 Speedline's) and tyres for my Audi as we live along narrow / steep unmade track.

The size is 7.5 x18 ET54, so am wondering if anyone can tell me whether they'd be OK on the FR which from an earlier post would appear to be ET51 on the FR with 18's.

Bubbs

Jul 18, 2013
The 18s (and 17s) on the Leon are - I think - 7.5 inches wide with ET 51. A wheel with 7.5 inch width and ET54 will mean the following:

1) 3mm LESS clearance from the inside of the wheel to the strut housing / calipers etc.
2) The outside face of the wheel (and thus the outside tyre sidewall) will sit 3mm further IN on each corner.

Assuming the wheels have the same PCD and Centre Bore (I believe that's 112 and 57.1 on the Leon), then it boils down to whether or not you can get away with having the wheel spokes 3mm closer to the brake assembly etc.

I have to say, when I was faffing with the wheels on my car earlier this week (doing the winter wheel swapover), the clearance between the spokes and the brake caliper looked mighty tight. Whether it was 3mm mighty-tight or not, I couldn't say. In fact the wheels I stuck on where 7J ET42, so I actually ended up with 3mm MORE clearance.

There's a handy wheel offset calculator here: http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Wheel-Offset-Calculator

All of that said, surely any dealer who wants a sale would let you stick one of your winter wheels on one of their demos to check cross check the fit, it'd only take 10 minutes.

The only thing to watch out for is that the more powerful FRs (1.8 and 2.0 184ps) have bigger brakes than the 1.4 and 2.0 150ps FRs.... :)

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
“Spigot Ring”
I'd save the description "spigot ring" for the part you need when the wheel centre bore is too big, to solve the ET problem if the wheel "barrel" is sitting too close to the strut etc and needs spaced out, is a "spacer" and spacers with a built in mini hub, if possible - ie if the required spacing out is big enough, are better than plain/flat spacers.