Leon PD150 Launch

AndyVTR

Mar 19, 2002
Best way?

Got ahead of a A3 2.0 TDi in first then he came past when I changed gear.

Have heard some people say launch in 2nd and slip the clutch??

I guess it could have been me not wanting to kill my car changing gear like a nutter...

devonutopia

fabia-lous
Mar 30, 2004
Exmouth / Exeter
not recommended on a standard clutch. I've found that if I launch mine in 2nd, I don't get the same initial burst like 1st gear gives, but you've got that period of standing still when you're doing 1st to 2nd - I'm guessing that even a quick shift will take half a second? Meanwhile that 2nd gear is accelerating to 40 with no pause for breath. :D (and if done right will give same burst as 1st gear - I've yet to fully practise it really)

S14A

Oct 24, 2005
South Wales
I have launched in 2nd a few times and if you get it right you can get very low 6's 0-60...also can get you mid to low 14's on the 1/4 mile which is awesome!

When I did it on uprated clutch the clutch smelled for an hour afterwards so I wouldnt recommend it! I certainly will not be doing it again when my Sachs clutch is 700 pounds a throw fitted!!

halo25

Jan 10, 2006
My old 306 hdi gave up a clutch after doing numerous 2nd gear starts off roundabouts to prove points - I think the torque will eventually kill it...

I just pick my fights in mid-range and wait for the chance now :)

ando

Mar 25, 2005
homepage.eircom.net
i dont bother trying to take someone at the lights, first gear with no traction control = loser :(
different story once I kick it into second :D

the cat

Like a dog with a bone.
Jul 20, 2004
Geordie Land
AndyVTR said:
I don't drive my car like I want to kill it though.

But the Audi might have been! I leave nothing to chance - launch in 1st, feather the throttle if its slippy, all the way to the redline then hammer 2nd in quick as I can. There's no point changing up early - by hanging on to the extra revs, your next gear will come in higher - the PD150 is one of the few diesels that drives more like a petrol (ie revs reasonably well).

the cat

Like a dog with a bone.
Jul 20, 2004
Geordie Land
AndyVTR said:
I'll give the driveshaft snapping a miss thanks...

Oh come on! The odd thrash wont kill it - there must be built-in tolerances. Look in my signature - 8 years of Seat ownership and my driving style has never resulted in any probs.

wurzel

Jun 2, 2003
East Anglia
Visit site
The 2.0TDI isn't much slower than the 150 and if the Audi had DSG would probably explain it getting passed as you changed gear. DSG is awesome, can't believe how good it is for an auto.

Shrek

Sep 20, 2004
Wokingham
wurzel said:
The 2.0TDI isn't much slower than the 150 and if the Audi had DSG would probably explain it getting passed as you changed gear. DSG is awesome, can't believe how good it is for an auto.
I guess that's because it's not really an auto box, in the traditional sense at least. The reason traditional autos aren't as good is because they have a liquid coupling, whereas DSG is a mechnical coupling, it just uses tricks to make the gear change very slick... at least that's how I understand it!

AndyVTR

Mar 19, 2002
the cat said:
Oh come on! The odd thrash wont kill it - there must be built-in tolerances. Look in my signature - 8 years of Seat ownership and my driving style has never resulted in any probs.

RIP: 04 Leon Cupra TDI, 03 Ibiza 1400 sport, R 98 Arosa 1.0.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.