Lightweight Batterys

BenS1

Jun 26, 2001
West Sussex, England
Visit site
Let the weightloss program begin!

So, I want to replace the standard battery with a lightweight one. I'll probably go for one of these Red Top race batterys (Unless someone can recomend something better).

The question is, which one? How much cranking current will I need?

Ideally I'd go for the Red Top 15, which has a 14Ah capacity, 400A cranking power and weighs only 5Kg. BUT, I have no idea if this is sufficent to run my car.

Does anyone know the capacity, cranking power and weight of the standard battery (Ok I can weigh it sometime myself, but if you know then it'd save me a job)? I've looked on the battery itself and it doesn't say anything.

If the Red Top 15 wont do then which one would do you think?

Cheers
Ben

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
might weigh not that much, but how about locating the OE one better

OE can't be *that* heavy as I carried a replacement one a mile from the shop back to work where the car was once.

I'd be inclined to move that & work on easier & better ways of loosing weight (aircon)

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
nope. but the compressor is 'pretty heavy'

probably about the difference between a normal battery & a lightweight one ;)

BenS1

Jun 26, 2001
West Sussex, England
Visit site
:D THe lightweight battery isn't the whole of my weight saving plans.

My inital priority is to get a rollcage and strip out enough weight to bring it back to standard weight.

Stage 1 weight saving will probably be:
  • Remove 5Kg weight from subframe (-5Kg)
  • Fit a lightweight battery and possibly relocate it to the boot (-6Kg?)
  • Remove Rear Seats (-8Kg?)
  • Change the Front Seats for lighter ones (-8Kg?)
  • New lightweight (But very strong) motorsport wheels are on order (Saves 12Kg unsprung by themselves!) (-12Kg)

(Also, for trackdays I might run slicks which appear to be much lighter.)

I've got no idea about some of those weights. Anyone else got better estimates than mine?

Anyway, assuming my car is 1119Kg now, then hopefully I can get it down to 1100Kg including the rollcage. Ok, not enough to really feel any difference but atleast the car wont be any heavier with a cage than it was before.

Any idea how heavy the sounproofing is?

Ben

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
very

I filled a bin bag of the stuff from the TT - (the hard stuck on crap) and it was more than I could lift without tearing the bag.

all the thick stuff can go too - just whip the seats out & the trim panels, then the carpet (take about 30 mins) and get scrapping

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
5 kg from the subframe ??

blimey get the grinder out - probably put 10kg back in to strengthen it

how about lighter panels ? anyone ever lifted a tailgate before ;)

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
Got a lightweight battery on mine - an Odyssey one (as use in military aircraft) I think about equivalent to a red top 25 - weighs 6.1Kg - easily 10kg saving over stock - got the details at home but not with me right now. 90 quid ish from EARS.
Cranks over my engine fine (12.5:1 CR) but have not had it long enough to say if its going to be good long term - dont see why not - my car not in daily use though. A mate with a 280bhp Ford RST has had one for 2ys, a red top 20, and has had no problems at all. Mine has slightly more umpf than this - thought would need it with higher CR.

Very high tech batteries compared to lead acid ones.

Recently got a source for lightweight panels, polyurathane rather than fibreglass so they are impact resistant - F+R (wide F2-style) wings, bonnets, tailgates, complete doors (with plexi fixed windows). Ibiza Mk2 and Mk3. Will possibly be inviting orders soon - would there be much interest ? Ballpark figs are 200 notes apiece for bonnets / doors etc

Cheers

Rob

Last edited:

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
BenS1 said:
Anyway, assuming my car is 1119Kg now,sounproofing is?
Ben

I don't think the actual starting point of the weight is that listed by SEAT Ben..
KevH had his weighed a short while ago when setting up his corner weights.. and stripped as it is was 1120Kg! :(

Dormouse

Available In Race Blue
RobT said:
Recently got a source for lightweight panels, polyurathane rather than fibreglass so they are impact resistant - F+R (wide F2-style) wings, bonnets, tailgates, complete doors (with plexi fixed windows). Ibiza Mk2 and Mk3. Will possibly be inviting orders soon - would there be much interest ? Ballpark figs are 200 notes apiece for bonnets / doors etc

Cheers

Rob

That's good money. Might be interesteed down the line a bit, but i'm damn sure there's plenty of interest now!

Cheers

Dor.

Dormouse

Available In Race Blue
ibizacupra said:
I don't think the actual starting point of the weight is that listed by SEAT Ben..
KevH had his weighed a short while ago when setting up his corner weights.. and stripped as it is was 1120Kg! :(

How accurate is corner weighting? No idea...please educate rodent :rolleyes:

Isn't list weight with 'medium size' driver and half a tank of motion lotion? appr. 20 Kilo.

I think if rob can pull off these panels' then there's serious weight saving's to be had. Gotta be the 'weigh' :hide: forward....

Dor.

Dormouse

Available In Race Blue
ibizacupra said:

How accurate is corner weighting? No idea...please educate rodent :rolleyes:

Isn't list weight with 'medium size' driver and half a tank of motion lotion? appr. 20 Kilo.

I think if rob can pull off these panels' then there's serious weight saving's to be had. Gotta be the 'weigh' :hide: forward....

Dor.

P.S. If panels can knock off significan't weight, then that's less to slow down, hence brakes don't work as hard eh Bill :D...mind you you'll probably brake later :roflmao:

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
I have a spare wing - it's not very heavy at all. bonnets are though

doorskins harder to change though.

corner weighting? very accurate

stick your car on 4 bathroom scales (except heavier duty ones) and the corner weights are measured.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
hence i said 'harder to change' - it's all part of the door - and I can't see a plexi door being as good a fit for door cards etc

BenS1

Jun 26, 2001
West Sussex, England
Visit site
RobT said:
Got a lightweight battery on mine - an Odyssey one (as use in military aircraft) I think about equivalent to a red top 25 - weighs 6.1Kg - easily 10kg saving over stock - got the details at home but not with me right now. 90 quid ish from EARS.
Cranks over my engine fine (12.5:1 CR) but have not had it long enough to say if its going to be good long term - dont see why not - my car not in daily use though. A mate with a 280bhp Ford RST has had one for 2ys, a red top 20, and has had no problems at all. Mine has slightly more umpf than this - thought would need it with higher CR.

Very high tech batteries compared to lead acid ones.

Cheers

Rob

Cheers Rob, I'll have a look at those batteries.

I will also be interested in some of those panels too. I don't want to compromise strength in a crash too much though.

I really really want some wide wings (Front and rear) so that I can run fat wheels..... you can source these too? :thumbup: Got an ETA on that?

Ben

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.