Looking after paintwork

stu_m

Aug 14, 2014
Hull
www.themotorbikeforum.co.uk
I think part of the problem is that i take absolutely ages to wash a car. Really not sure how. If i could do it in 20mins that'd be no problem!

you can!

you don't need to wash polish and wax every single time you wash the car

if you give the car a good wash polish and wax every 3 to 4 months you can just wash and dry it between

this is what I do and it doesn't take long at all

I also use autoglym's aqua wax every two to 3 washes too its good stuff and is quick and easy to apply

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
I subscribe to the minimum touching of paintwork. Jet wash occasionally after snow foaming when it's really dirty and wash of any bird crap immediately with hot water.
Get it properly detailed when time to get rid, paintwork is lovely and swirl free :D probably all the dirt protecting it :D

Different if it's a classic car or high end car.
But I work on the principle a modern car is much like a tv or a washing machine, almost a throw away commodity - maybe not quite the same, but hopefully you get the point I'm trying to make- no point committing to much time to it, far more interesting things to do in life, as we're here for a good time not a long time. Plus eventually it's highly likely -bar a handful - it will only end up as a baked bean can or some other product :)

Dr.Dash

Aug 30, 2015
Midlands
How do you manage to wash that quickly? Quickest I've ever managed to clean the car was 1.5 hours...
Did you have lunch halfway through?:lol:

you can!
you don't need to wash polish and wax every single time you wash the car
if you give the car a good wash polish and wax every 3 to 4 months you can just wash and dry it between...

Exactly.

My "process":
-Quick jet wash,
-nip in and whilst the buckets are filling up with warm water I top up the kettle, turn it on and take my watch off and leave it by my T mug (scratch prevention)
-Wash car down with a lambswool mitt, sills and wheels get done with a soft brush
-Rinse with hose
-Quick dry using my petrol leafblower
-large microfibre cloth dragged over the surfaces finishes the drying
-Back in and make my cuppa, put watch back on
-Use a microfibe cloth damped in my rinsing bucket to clean the inside of door sills
-Rinse and squeeze out all cleaning gear, hang to dry in shed
Enjoy my cuppa and admire my shiney car. Get on with life...

It takes me more than 20 mins just on the alloys.
Personally I couldn't be bothered to remove the wheels and clean them but if you've got the time and it makes you happy then why not.
I'm just after a car that looks reasonably clean, it'll have crud splattered down the sides within a few miles of winter driving.

IMC

Feb 4, 2016
Sofia, Bulgaria
I do the following a high end hand wash every other month, in the meantime I go to those self service washes - just shampoo and high presure water (5 mins). I do however have the privilage of having a very solid connection at a premium hand wash (Bentleys, Prosches etc.) where I get my detailing.

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
Personally I couldn't be bothered to remove the wheels and clean them but if you've got the time and it makes you happy then why not. I'm just after a car that looks reasonably clean said:
That 20 mins is with the wheels in place.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Anyone tried these:
http://www.cleanandshiny.co.uk/Wheel-Woolies-3-Piece-Wheel-Cleaning-Kit

They may be expensive but do a great job of cleaning your rims without removing the wheels.

Yes, I have a set, and would say they're a worthwhile addition to your car cleaning kit if you're into car cleaning / detailing. I've had mine about a year so have had plenty of use out of them. They may be expensive but they're well made and if you look after them they should last; mine are still looking as good as new. They're cheaper at Clean Your Car website, and using discount code DW05 should give 5% discount; http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wheels-and-tyres/wheel-woolies-wheel-brush-kit/prod_1037.html ) I bought them primarily to cl... time to dry. Expensive but IMO, worth it.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.