Looking at picking up a MK1 LC

DaneJD89

FOR SALE BBS RM 012's
Nov 13, 2009
Manchester
Right guys im a newb to this forum but have been told this is the place to come from some of the edition chaps as I am a frequent user on there, Basically I have got a MK4 Golf GTI 20V non-turbo that I am currently selling, I have been offered a 52 plate Leon cupra for the not so expensive price of £1600 now its been bought from a police auction after being taken from somebody for whatever reason it is all HPI clear as I have checked, now bits I know it needs - tax and test for starters (not a problem), climatronic unit in dash is missing, headunit is missing, needs a window regulator in the rear, and a gearknob, and a good clean, from what I have seen that is it, oh and the key needs coding as the car is flat and when the key is put in the car and turned there is a dash light flashing would this need coding using Vag-Com or the easier push a few buttons method?? It also needs the V5 applying for which again isnt a major worry, basically I would like to get the car running before I go and hand over 1600 big ones but I dont really want to pay to be having a key coded if I then dont buy the car for whatever reason, eg. it having engine problems, it has got about 90k on the clocks, had a few owners, and has plenty of service history stamped up from seat, what would you recommend I do? I am not full of knowledge on the 1.8T's so would just like a bit of help and guidance, I know it is an absolute steal and apart from the stuff it needs sorting it is in mint condition, any help really appreciated chaps!

Regards,

Dane.

DaneJD89

FOR SALE BBS RM 012's
Nov 13, 2009
Manchester
Yeah vag com needed to pair the key to immobiliser.
Climate control might be upto £100 ish.

Not too worried about cost of the bits I know it needs just take that on the chin, would it not be possible to change the battery get some charge in the car and re-link it using the ignition/button/key method with the possibility of it just being due to the car being dead?

Cheers for the reply mate.

DaneJD89

FOR SALE BBS RM 012's
Nov 13, 2009
Manchester
You could try a battery, but if the car with the key in it is flashing (how if the battery is dead?) it needs pairing.

This is all I have been told mate from when the battery was fine its been parked up for a while I need to get some life in it and see what it does, but im pretty sure it has 1 key and the method used to program a key not usin Vag-Com from what I have read uses 2 keys so im just in the mist!

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Welcome.

It sounds like a bit of a steal (no pun intended).
If it's been parked for a while you should do a good service on it first.
There is also the possibility that the brakes could be seized on.
As far as the things you have mentioned there is noting that would change my mind from a good deal.

I've never had any dealings with buying a car this way but would there be any insurance implications?
For the interior bit and bobs, you'll possibly find some of these in the sale section;)

Also if its yellow there is a bad history of laquer peel due to no UV protectors in the laquer.

DaneJD89

FOR SALE BBS RM 012's
Nov 13, 2009
Manchester
Welcome.

It sounds like a bit of a steal (no pun intended).
If it's been parked for a while you should do a good service on it first.
There is also the possibility that the brakes could be seized on.
As far as the things you have mentioned there is noting that would change my mind from a good deal.

I've never had any dealings with buying a car this way but would there be any insurance implications?
For the interior bit and bobs, you'll possibly find some of these in the sale section;)

Also if its yellow there is a bad history of laquer peel due to no UV protectors in the laquer.

Spot on reply thanks mate! Yeah I completely agree with you I mean I have never seen a Cupra with the kit on and the 5 spokes (not sure which one this is as im sure there is a bog standard cupra this one then the R) go for anywhere near £1600 in any condition, Service and brakes is no biggie I can do all that myself, its mainly how it runs and the key, I have decided to get somebody down to code the key when I have sold my Golf and if its fine then great stuff if it isnt then I am only £50 down on coding and I aint bought a pile of crap, It is also in black so I dont have to worry about the yellow fading and as for insurance implications it is completely hpi clear so there is no worries there either, so fingers crossed if everything goes to plan, this place will be my new home land!

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Be prepared to spend lots of money on it and start squirreling away money from your missus
when you start searching and asking questions about it

DaneJD89

FOR SALE BBS RM 012's
Nov 13, 2009
Manchester
Be prepared to spend lots of money on it and start squirreling away money from your missus
when you start searching and asking questions about it

:happy: I am prepared mate I have done it all with my 8 previous dubs, it is all great fun! Fingers crossed this Leon pulls through, what is the model of that specific Cupra? with the twin spoked 5 spoke wheels and big bumpers, and as for a re-map where would you recommend? I seen an ad for a company on PH who are doing £175 maps on various makes and models including the K03S 180BHP Cupra they seem reputable and that seems a very very fair price too!

DaneJD89

FOR SALE BBS RM 012's
Nov 13, 2009
Manchester
That's a 180 mate, can delete the reg now ;)

You need 15 posts to pm on here :)

Ahh right that explains that then! lol, it is different from the one in your avatar though it has a kit similar to the R but not quite the same and some 17" 5 spoke Seat wheels all standard and looking at the price of them on PH the cheapest one being £4300, I can have this Leon on the road and mint for less than half the price! :funk:

DaneJD89

FOR SALE BBS RM 012's
Nov 13, 2009
Manchester
Yeah sounds like a facelift one, between minee and an 'R'

Sounds a right bargain!

Yeah thats what im thinking, even if the car needed so much as a new engine it still would still stand me at alot less than what they are going for, this golf better get sold!

ipd56

Barmy Army Nutter
you mean it looks like this :)

picture.php

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members