Looking for help to buy first Seat Leon

Jan 5, 2020
Hey all, I need your advice...again. I posted a while back asking for general tips for buying a Seat Leon which will be done on finance. I’m not at a stage where I have found a couple of options but the issue is I don’t know a hell of a lot about cars and I know very little about Leons at the moment. So I was hoping I could get some help again from you guys because you all have lots of experience with seat and just know more about it all.

Here are the 4 cars I got on my list now - all Petrol and manual :
1. Seat Leon 1.4 2014 with 42.000miles for £ 9000
2. Seat Leon 1.4 2017 with 10.000miles for £13000
3. Seat Leon 1.8 2016 with 21.000miles for £11500 (miles seem a bit too low to be true)
4. Seat Leon Cupra 2015 with 47.000miles for £13000

Logically thinking the 2017 leon seems to be the best choice to be honest...best miles, the price is okay ish and there might be room to get it a bit cheaper plus the specs on it are great.

The Cupra is tempting but I have never driven a car with more than 100bhp so going straight to almost 300bhp might not be the best idea unless you guys have a different opinion? And also does it cost more to run a Cupra compared to a normal Leon - like running cost wise, repairs, tyres and so on?

I have also seen a few DSG options but I wasn’t sure if automatics are any good? Would you recommend going for DSG ones or just stick with manual?

The last question is, do Leon’s have cam belts or do they all have chains instead?

I really hope you guys can help me with this and feel free to tel me anything else I should know about buying/owning a Leon.

Thanks all!

Oliver Pawley

Mar 9, 2019
My knowledge on cars is very low but I started off with the 1.4 150bhp manual for a year and have just moved up to a 280 cupra stage one (apparently around 320 now) obviously a big difference but just taking it easy

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Reactions: leonico
Jan 5, 2020
My knowledge on cars is very low but I started off with the 1.4 150bhp manual for a year and have just moved up to a 280 cupra stage one (apparently around 320 now) obviously a big difference but just taking it easy

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
Thanks for the reply!

We’re both of them used and if yes what mileage did they have when you got them? You reckon it was good going for a 1.4 first or could you have gone straight for the cupra?

Norbert

Oct 16, 2018
If you drive like normal person 1.4 enough.most cupra owner drive like a granny to save petrol so just waste to buy cupra.and getting hard to drive fast as police really after speeders and everybody drive 20mph everywhere. 1.4 not bad on power..2017 can be good if fr with some extras.
we have one yet and she happy with it everyday and like dsg too.

Reactions: OJ9693 and leonico

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
And also does it cost more to run a Cupra compared to a normal Leon - like running cost wise, repairs, tyres and so on?

The biggest difference you're likely to find is insurance - best to get some quotes first.

CupraGeezer

May 11, 2018
It depends what your priorities are I guess. The Cupra is a step up from the other cars, even the 1.8. It's very easy to drive, not temperamental at all, but it will cost more to run. Insurance, tyres and fuel could all be several hundreds of pounds more per year depending on your age, mileage, etc. Servicing is the same except for the diff needing a service every three years.

So far as the gearbox is concerned, the best advice is to drive a DSG and see if you like it. Some do, some don't. DSGs do need a service every four years, though. If you go for the Cupra, something to be aware of is that the clutch is known to be weak in the manual.

There are also differences in the infotainment systems, depending on age. The 2017 car will have the later (MIB2) system, the 2014 & 2015 cars won't and the 2016 car might depending whether it's from early or late in the year.

adam davies

Dec 30, 2019
I own a 1.8 sc 2017 26000 miles paid 10500 back in december. No problems car drives great gets about 40mpg driving steady .really smooth engine, pretty effortless drive and can move pretty quick when reved. I come from having a 1.9tdi ibiza and also 120d bmw. I do miss the torque a bit in the higher speeds, so will be getting remapped soon. The 1.8tsi was tested in germany by a company and complered 15000km without and breakdowns, so pretty reliable. It also has a cam chain and is meant to last the life of the vehicle. Hope that helps.

Jan 5, 2020
It depends what your priorities are I guess. The Cupra is a step up from the other cars, even the 1.8. It's very easy to drive, not temperamental at all, but it will cost more to run. Insurance, tyres and fuel could all be several hundreds of pounds more per year depending on your age, mileage, etc. Servicing is the same except for the diff needing a service every three years.

So far as the gearbox is concerned, the best advice is to drive a DSG and see if you like it. Some do, some don't. DSGs do need a service every four years, though. If you go for the Cupra, something to be aware of is that the clutch is known to be weak in the manual.

There are also differences in the infotainment systems, depending on age. The 2017 car will have the later (MIB2) system, the 2014 & 2015 cars won't and the 2016 car might depending whether it's from early or late in the year.
Priorities wise it’s mainly to finally have a decent and reliable car which has more than 100bhp and a modern interior which is why I like the Seat Leon.
I think the inner kid in me wants the cupra for the looks and the higher bhp but then again if it will cost me a bit more in maintaining it’s probably not worth it especially if manuals have problems as well, it’s probably better to go for one of the 1.4 or the 1.8 options.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.