Looks like theres not much interest in buying my car so...

Mckellar

a proper cage is £500 + and needs to be welded and bolted in im sure, otherwise pointless..if you roll.

stripping the interior and selling the parts you take off will give you money back to lower it (get decent set up, not a 1/2 branded name)

you can pick up a bucket seat singularly for pennies these days on ebay, doesnt need to be leather and recliner as its a track car so condition really isnt your main priority..

hopkinsgm

Do-doo-be-do-do-dooo
May 25, 2001
Swindon (occasionally)
Visit site
...how much are roll cages...
Not sure what happened to all the ex-Rockingham Ibiza Cupra R cages - I had one until about a year ago, but sold it through the classifieds on here. There were a couple of dozen of the things knocking about at one point, plus the cages from the Seat UK Ibiza Cupra demonstrators. These were all made by Custom Cages, and were six point bolt in jobbies. Not long after the Rockingham Cupra R's were decommisioned, you could pick up an ex-Rockingham cage for about £50. When I sold mine on here a year or so back for £75 I got my arm snapped off. Umpteen folks contacted me, and I reckon I could have asked for uite a bit more for it. Oh well, 20/20 hindsight

A six point bolt in cage is likely going to cost upwards of £300 to buy new - and unless you're a bit handy with a welder, you'll be looking at upwards of £100 or so on top of that to get the mounts welded in. Don't think you can get away with drilling some holes in the floor and sticking a few bolts through - you need spreader plates if you ever need to rely on the cage (hopefully you won't, but you never know). With no spreader plates, in the event of an accident the cage will just punch it's way through the metalwork leaving nice sharp torn edges all over the place - and the cage will probably cause more damage than it saves.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
I remember picking 4 up for £40 a piece....

you don't need a cage for a track car though, just better brakes, suspension & tyres to have fun

jcs356

Cordy owner
Jul 12, 2004
Englandland
No need for better brakes if you take all the weight out. Been running 256mm fronts with DS2500 pads and never suffered brake fade with that setup.
I've got an ex Rockingham cage in mine, bought through here about 3 years ago. Shout if you want anymore info as I've been there, done that...

Ibiza2.jpg

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
No need for better brakes if you take all the weight out. Been running 256mm fronts with DS2500 pads

Are DS2500's now standard fit these days?

do a session on std pads and I'll soon hear you calling for something better..

jcs356

Cordy owner
Jul 12, 2004
Englandland
My grovelling apologies Mork. I read 'better brakes' to mean the upgrade to 280mm discs off the 16v, which IMO isn't worth it if the car goes on a diet.

I'll go and crawl back under my stone.

jcs356

Cordy owner
Jul 12, 2004
Englandland
I correct that - he originally asked about 'bigger brakes', so apart from me transposing the words bigger and better, my comment stands. Bigger brakes aren't necessary. An upgrade to the pads will suffice IMO.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
it's ok - when I ran the Ibiza on 'hard' pads, and that had less in it than yours I 'just' got away with decent pads, discs & fluids on 239's (good job the car couldn't do more than 100 without a tailwind)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.