Losing grip when reversing on full lock?

Ptar64

Feb 26, 2009
When I reverse out my garage, I have to put on full lock to the right most times.

When its on full lock, my wheels feel like there losing grip and slipping?

Its been doing this for a while, thinking its just been the snow and ice over the recent months.
It doesnt do it when I havent got it fully locked, but when it does, the front end starts lurching, trying to get grip?

Anyone heard of this before? Iam going to try this in a car park later to make sure its not the road surface *got brick paving where my garage is*.

Just never noticed this before the bad weather and I have changed wheels recently but was doing that before anyway.

Ptar64

Feb 26, 2009
Ive got continentals on the front. Not a clue, never had it done in my 8-9 months of ownership, I am getting some new suspension put on soon so will have a full alignment then.

Been reading on google and it maybe the ackerman effect which is causing this problem.

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
Most standard cars will slip to some extent on full lock, backwards or forwards. You probably just feel it more in reverse. If you want to see what needs to be done to counteract it, see what a black cab wheels do when they're on full lock. A standard car front wheels stay reasonably parallel when turning, whereas a black cab has suspension designed to significantly 'toe-out' when turning. It makes them very easy to turn, but consequently very unstable at speed.

And I've just seen what Ackerman is from Wikipedia, yes that is the reason.

Deleted member 43482

Mine does this , is your driveway blockpaved? i find its worse on that. I assumed it was due to the width of the tyres and the way the suspension is set up as standard. My dads ST220 Mondeo does exactly the same with the same size wheel/tyre combo.

dholdi

Jul 3, 2008
Preston
Mine did this with 18's on and nearly worn out goodyears.
Back on the 17's at the moment with new toyo's and it doesnt.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.