Loss of bite.....but not clutch?

FR150

May 21, 2017
Hi all, I'm a SEAT Leon FR 150 driver, and my car seems to have a weird, chronic problem that has been nagging for about 3 years. I'm not a petrolhead, so do bear with me.

The problem is that, sometimes when I accelerate hard in 3rd, 4th or 5th gear, my rev counter flies round to 5000 revs, but with no increase in acceleration, in exactly the same way as it would if the clutch was worn out. The thing is, it doesn't happen all the time, and almost never happens when I first start a journey. It seems to only occur when the engine has been running for roughly 5+ mins.

When I noticed this problem, roughly 3 years ago, it was very intermittent, and would only happen every few weeks/months. However, now it happens a lot more often. If I give it a bit of welly in gears 3/4/5, the rev counter will fly around all over the place 80% of the time, which, as you can understand, is very frustrating.

About 12 months ago I took it to my mechanic, and was told that the clutch was fine, and therefore, the fault must be due to a problem with the CPU, which they wouldn't be able to help me with.

What I am asking is, has anyone else encountered this problem? Does anyone have any idea what it could be? There's nothing more irritating than attempting to overtake on the motorway, and then finding that, as you pull out into the fast lane, you have no power for a couple of seconds, and your rev counter is round at 6000 revs.

I thought that this is probably the best place on the net, for advice regarding SEATs, so here I am.

Any advice will be gratefully received.

Cheers!

19jeff89

Oct 20, 2016
Has it had a clutch done before if not I would take the box of and have a look does sound like there's something wrong with clutch from what you've said. It's the only way of knowing if it is your clutch at fault by taking box off

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Sounds like clutch slip. Can you hear the engine revs increasing at the same time? It should be noticeable if you're going all the way to 5000.

Just possibly a fault with the slave cylinder, but it would have to be sticking rather than leaking (which they do more often) and it's very unlikely.

Silly question no. 33 - you're not resting your foot on the clutch pedal by any chance? Or have a mat that sometimes causes the pedal to stick down?