Lost half my car key!

jodix

I've lost the metal half of my remote central locking key for my X-reg 2000 Cupra (and been quoted £280 by a dealer to get a replacement key (see pasting below)...

Can I just buy a blank key off ebay, get the metal thread cut at Timpsons to my spare key and fit it to the half of the key that I have - the remote central locking still works so I presume I have the right technical stuff in that end of the key for it to work in the ignition once it gets re-attached if I can find the right type of key??

Thanks for any suggestions!

(Reply from dealer to request for key - seems excessive to me, hence why I'm not doing it!

"...payment for the replacement key which would be around the £70-£100 mark. The key will have to be custom made at the factory and can take anywhere up to 2 weeks to be delivered. Once the key is with us we can call you an arrange a time to have the remaining keys reprogrammed with the new one. That process will take about an hour and the total cost to yourself will be around the £180 mark.")

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
you have a spare key that works ok ye?

try a decent local locksmith to cut a blank Y key for your remote to fit in and also get a chip (immob) cloned off your spare to go into the new key or it won't start the car, you'll need to find one that can clone the immob chip ideally.

you could always use the chip from the spare but then that will become useless and look whats happened already :p

a decent locksmith if he's up to scratch will explain it all and we used to get em done for about £25/30 with a chip without any programming or waiting needed

Cupra Gsy

Jul 13, 2008
I just had a new key cut for mine because i lost it and had no spare so it cost £58 for the key and around £45 to programme it to my car.

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
I didn't think locksmiths could do it as they need to know your SKC to programme the immob transponder

good ones take the original and copy the blade and then clone the immob info to a new chip, as far as the car is concerned it's the same key so it saves programming hassles

a complete new genuine key will be blank chipped and indeed will need SKC info and equipment to program it hence costing more time/money

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.