Lost key - possibly inside the car

Dec 27, 2022
Just got back from a long journey, and I can't find my car key. Fortunately I was home where I could use the spare key. I have searched the car as best I can in the dark, but I can't find it.

In testing where the key might be - if the car is locked and the spare is in an RFID wallet - I can't access the vehicle (as expected)
But, if I use the spare to unlock the car, then place the key in the RFID wallet and move it to the far side of the house - I can still start the car using the 'Start Engine Stop' button. The manual tells me this means "there must be a valid key in the passenger compartment".

Question: Has anyone experienced being able to start the engine without there being a key in the car?

Thanks

/dev/null

Nov 12, 2008
No, if the key isn't in the car then it shouldn't start. The most likely place the key would be "hiding" is probably in between the center console and the seat, or the seat and the side trim.

Reactions: Sneekes
Dec 27, 2022
Thanks all.
Yes, found them. We'd had one of the back seats tipped forward for the journey, I must have dropped the keys as I tilted them back on arrival home. Had to remove boot liner and polystyrene (?) tray out and found them right at the back. We'd looked there last night but it must have been too dark.
Very relieved.
The only negative is that it was me who lost them and my wife who found them. I'm going to be hearing about this for a while!
Cheers.

Dec 27, 2022
I think I would have agreed with your assumption if you'd asked me yesterday morning, but now I know that you definitely can lock the car with another set inside!

Reactions: Andy.M

Vissa

Aug 25, 2022
Hellevoetsluis
Yes you can lock the car with a second key if the first one is inside.

The key shuts itself off after a short period of time laying still, this is to prevent a relay attack on your car. So the car won't see the key anymore and that's why you can lock it.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members