Lost MPG!!

Otterson

Hi, has anyone got any ideas on why I have lost 10 MPG?

I have a 2006 130 FR and I was getting 55 MPG but now I'm getting about 45 MPG. It has just been serviced about 2 months ago and my local garage has had it on the computer and it’s coming up with no faults.

I know 10 MPG is not a lot but I do a lot of miles for work so that’s an extra tank of fuel a month I could do without!!

Any ideas would help!!

mgrays

Dec 9, 2006
Aberdeen
Rear brakes are binding up .. go and look and see how much of the disc area is clean and shinny.

If I go service my brakes by pushing the pistons back, cutting off the lip that drags on the pads I can get 50 mpg from the Cupra.. if I leave the car for a month outside without use in the winter it falls back to 46mpg.

I know that is not 10 mpg but it does hurt a bit .. as others said cold seems to pull the mpg down. Also make sure your tyres are pumped up as that can be worth another 1-2mpg

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Hi, has anyone got any ideas on why I have lost 10 MPG?

I have a 2006 130 FR and I was getting 55 MPG but now I'm getting about 45 MPG. It has just been serviced about 2 months ago and my local garage has had it on the computer and it’s coming up with no faults.

I know 10 MPG is not a lot but I do a lot of miles for work so that’s an extra tank of fuel a month I could do without!!

Any ideas would help!!

Did they do the cambelt in that service ?

A few people I know have complained of perfomance loss or high fuel consumption after a cambelt change.

Some garages are cheating with the method they use to set up the cam timing - instead of the longer process of locking the cam in a set position and attaching the pulley to it - they just turn the pulley very slightly to get the belt & pulley teeth to align.

Otterson

The cambelt has just been done on Friday so it was happening before it was changed.

I have checked my tyres and I know that its cold but I'm driving it on the motorway alot so it warms up fast. This is also the second winter I have had it and it didn't do it last winter.

Will have a look at my brakes in the morning as when it was serviced they had to change my back brakes and pads.

seat_rich

Five atoms
Jul 29, 2009
Just as a heads up for you...

Had mine in for a service this week, oil change, filters etc., and also had my rear brakes un-seized.

My MPG has jumped straight from 57/58 to 63. Not a massive difference, but definitely noticeable.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members