Low MPG in my V5

dalegolf215

UNbanned
Jun 3, 2010
Rov'rum
Have you checked tyres pressures?
Is your boot full of tools weighing the car down?
Are your tyres actually the right size? you mentioned youve changed wheels the wrong rolling radius would in effect change the gearing of the car

gambino

I'm driving on Audi TT quattro alloys - tyre size: 225/40/18 pressure seems to by correct.
No superfluous ballast at the boot.

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
225/40/18 would make sense compared to my 225/45/17, so that looks ok.

Maybe a throttle body alignment might be worthwhile? Although I'm not sure how that may affect mpg.

The only other thing is that knackered coilpack may have been going for a while without you really noticing, not bad enough to shake the car but enough to not spark 100%. See if it improves once you've replaced it?

Damo 85

Jul 31, 2010
I must admit I have started driving everywhere in 5th!! As soon as its able to slot into 5th comfortably i'll stick it there and pootle round nice and relaxed. I have just filled the tank so i will report back with miles once empty again... needs must in the current climate though!!!

Having said that I was getting 250miles to a tank beforehand and that was hooning it everywhere LOL

Dox1966

Jul 13, 2007
I'm on my second V5, the Toledo is doing just under 30MPG - its got running issues and is getting a good thrashing and idling a lot while fault finding.

My previous Golf estate averaged low 30s, the best tank was 38 MPG returning from holiday in Cornwall, the worst tank 29MPG was in Feb 2010 in the cold spell.

All brim to brim readings (I don't trust dash readings), my drive to work is 20 miles each way and is all non urban and twisty A roads:D

dvance

Mar 23, 2010
I get about 26-7mpg with about 250 miles in town (10miles round trip to work), and about 50 - 100 on the weekends on mostly A roads (so about a tank a month).

Dox1966 you're being pretty timid to get under 30mpg on the twisties with running issues! Or the issues are not as bad as you might think :p

Dox1966

Jul 13, 2007
I get about 26-7mpg with about 250 miles in town (10miles round trip to work), and about 50 - 100 on the weekends on mostly A roads (so about a tank a month).

Dox1966 you're being pretty timid to get under 30mpg on the twisties with running issues! Or the issues are not as bad as you might think :p

The fault code is indicating chains stretched:( idle is very lumpy and the car is sitting idling whilst I poke and prod around trying to find a fix.

I'm not timid, there's hardly a straight section on the road, its all relative, my mk3 golf tdi estate did 50mpg driven hard in the same circumstances.

dvance

Mar 23, 2010
I was only joking! :D

Is it not possible to find a replacement chain? Or measure the current one? What's the tolerance for stretch anyway?

Damo 85

Jul 31, 2010
The fault code is indicating chains stretched:( idle is very lumpy and the car is sitting idling whilst I poke and prod around trying to find a fix.

I'm not timid, there's hardly a straight section on the road, its all relative, my mk3 golf tdi estate did 50mpg driven hard in the same circumstances.

Only problem with chains really. low maintanence until they eventually go, then its a pig of a job to fix!!

I had the chains replaced for peace of mind on my vr6... hit my wallet hard :cry:

Dox1966

Jul 13, 2007
I was only joking! :D

Is it not possible to find a replacement chain? Or measure the current one? What's the tolerance for stretch anyway?

Its a 10 - 12 hour job to do the chains as they are on the gearbox end of the engine, so gearbox off, fly wheel off, inlet manifold off, cam cover off before you get to look at the chains.

I want to be 100% certain the chains are duff before I go there.

A Golf R32 is booked at 16 hours for chain replacement + plus parts and you may as well do the clutch / flywheel while you're there, so around £1.5K+ then...........

Damo 85

Jul 31, 2010
Its a 10 - 12 hour job to do the chains as they are on the gearbox end of the engine, so gearbox off, fly wheel off, inlet manifold off, cam cover off before you get to look at the chains.

I want to be 100% certain the chains are duff before I go there.

A Golf R32 is booked at 16 hours for chain replacement + plus parts and you may as well do the clutch / flywheel while you're there, so around £1.5K+ then...........

Yep. My VR had all the timing chains replaced, new clutch fitted same time. came close to £850 quid with a VERY friendly mechanic. VW wanted over £1000 and awesome GTI qouted £3000... eek

Dox1966

Jul 13, 2007
Yep. My VR had all the timing chains replaced, new clutch fitted same time. came close to £850 quid with a VERY friendly mechanic. VW wanted over £1000 and awesome GTI qouted £3000... eek

£3K.............................

I've got a Corrado Vr6 thankfully the chains are good:D and an audi 80 V6 cab (timing belt), toledo (and my old V5 golf estate that I'm breaking) - MPG isn't my main consideration:D

She's got a Golf TDi:D

Damo 85

Jul 31, 2010
£3K.............................

I've got a Corrado Vr6 thankfully the chains are good:D and an audi 80 V6 cab (timing belt), toledo (and my old V5 golf estate that I'm breaking) - MPG isn't my main consideration:D

She's got a Golf TDi:D

LOL

Yeh awesome said they refused to carry out "just chains and clutch". Instead they insist they should carry out a full rebuild, to save future problems. I told them politely where to go.... lol

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.