Low MPG

sootycat

Any thoughts on low MPG? My 1.9 TDI was brand new in March and has now done 2,300 miles. On a distance drive (average speed 60-70) I am getting 41 MPG if I'm lucky. Round town, I get excited if I get 30 MPG. :confused:

DAN M

Oct 15, 2002
Visit site
Yep, same with me. Only really get 41mpg, with 10k+ miles on the clock. I put this down to stop /start town driving and having the extra weight of an XL. I have seen 45+ but only on longer runs.

dubstar_71

41mpg most months 2.0 140.....

thats what u get driving a chiseled brick i guess....:p (JOKE!!)

guess they're just not as aerodynamic as a golf i guess, other than that it's a golf chassis, and running gear... :confused:

Tabintab

Sep 15, 2006
Peterborough
When i had my Altea 2.0l TDI Sport I used to get about 50mpg @ 70mph. Maybe its your driving styles. 55mpg @ 60mph was etc

Do u guys accelerate hard, cause u like the torque or is there something else more sinister?

Tab

PhilOfCas

Nov 2, 2006
The capital of Yorkshire
I didn't dare say that mine had registered 66.4 mpg on the way into work yesterday morning (32 mile), also Sunday, i made a concerted economy drive effort mainly town/A/B roads and registered 55mpg. To all who post low mpg queries i'd say 'try' and get more and then advise if you still have low mpg, pretty sure, like Tabintab says, that it's mainly driving style that's the difference.

dubstar_71

When i had my Altea 2.0l TDI Sport I used to get about 50mpg @ 70mph. Maybe its your driving styles. 55mpg @ 60mph was etc
Tab

yeh mine used to say 50mpg on the average mpg display, but when i calculated it, it was 9mpg out, so i adapted it with vag-com to read a true figure!

[B)]

sosidge

Jun 5, 2004
7500 on the clock of our 1.6 petrol XL now and it seems that the engine is just getting to where it should be, MPG is now up and performance seems a bit livelier too.

Or possibly I am finally getting used to the lack of performance and am just driving slower...

But we can average 40mpg on long runs at 60-70, low-mid 30s on 70-80 drives and around town. Only see under 30 if I am on a very short urban trip of if the pedal is really to the metal on the motorway (and with the price of fuel right now that is definitely something to avoid).

monkeytennis

I've finally achieved a record of 49.7MPG off a tank in my 54 50k mile TDi 140. Very very light footed

Agree with dubstar the trip computer overreads by circa 9MPG

dubstar_71

I've finally achieved a record of 49.7MPG off a tank in my 54 50k mile TDi 140. Very very light footed

Agree with dubstar the trip computer overreads by circa 9MPG

i can adapt your avg. comsumption too if you nearby... :) (in in north wales, near prestatyn)

Last edited by a moderator:

cupra fan

Nov 30, 2001
norfolk
Visit site
clean the fuel injectors (forte diesel) put a new airfilter in and reset the ecu- menaged a 8-10 mpg incease just with these! Allso milers seems to help the 140 to break the 50mpg, quite regually if you are restrained with the right foot

Td1man

I'e been using Millers 4 and Shell standard diesel and driving like a nun on the motorways can get 60+ showing which equates to around 58 real world, speed around 65 indicated which is actually a GPS indicated 60mph, also noticed most people are doing that sort of speed round these parts, try draughtinh a HGV and watch the fuel figures go up quite dramatically

PhilOfCas

Nov 2, 2006
The capital of Yorkshire
I'e been using Millers 4 and Shell standard diesel and driving like a nun on the motorways can get 60+ showing which equates to around 58 real world, speed around 65 indicated which is actually a GPS indicated 60mph, also noticed most people are doing that sort of speed round these parts, try draughtinh a HGV and watch the fuel figures go up quite dramatically

agreed, very noticeable change in peoples driving habits, people just sat behind others, like you say 'drafting', steady away seems to be the in thing these days !

Donitsi

It's not a hybrid. MPG's are just what you should expect. Just drive slower like 50 if you want to get lower.

TDI_luver

Jul 11, 2006
Ireland
1.9tdi (v. similar but slightly heavier than equivalent Altea) Toledo - 2 years old, 40,000 miles done. Averaging 43-44mpg without aircon on daily 30 mile B road commute. Have never broken 50 mpg, likewise never gone into the 30's either. True MPG is a lot lower than displayed mpg on the computer, dont believe it, its very optimistic !
measure the old fashioned way, ie fill to overflowing, zero the trip, drive around till low on fuel (ir yellow lamp comes on ), fill again to overflowing. Do the sums : litres used divided by 4.54 = gallons used; miles driven divided by gallons used = mpg. keep a long term record (eg miles used over five or ten fillups versusu total miles driven in the same period will give an accurate reflection of actual Mpg. I doubt many people will see over 45 mpg this way.

PhilOfCas

Nov 2, 2006
The capital of Yorkshire
1.9tdi (v. similar but slightly heavier than equivalent Altea) Toledo - 2 years old, 40,000 miles done. Averaging 43-44mpg without aircon on daily 30 mile B road commute. Have never broken 50 mpg, likewise never gone into the 30's either. True MPG is a lot lower than displayed mpg on the computer, dont believe it, its very optimistic !
measure the old fashioned way, ie fill to overflowing, zero the trip, drive around till low on fuel (ir yellow lamp comes on ), fill again to overflowing. Do the sums : litres used divided by 4.54 = gallons used; miles driven divided by gallons used = mpg. keep a long term record (eg miles used over five or ten fillups versusu total miles driven in the same period will give an accurate reflection of actual Mpg. I doubt many people will see over 45 mpg this way.

true, work the actual out, my trip computer reads 4 to 5 high, last 3 tankfulls i've done a real world 52mpg, since January i've averaged a fraction less than 50

chrisash32

Altea Driver
Oct 17, 2007
true, work the actual out, my trip computer reads 4 to 5 high, last 3 tankfulls i've done a real world 52mpg, since January i've averaged a fraction less than 50

How the hell are you getting 50 / 52 MPG out of a 2.0 TDi PD140 6SPD?????
I am lucky if I see 35MPG on the screen on a good day!!!

PhilOfCas

Nov 2, 2006
The capital of Yorkshire
How the hell are you getting 50 / 52 MPG out of a 2.0 TDi PD140 6SPD?????
I am lucky if I see 35MPG on the screen on a good day!!!

by having a 32 mile commute on fairly flat terrain, sitting at indicated 64 ish, tickle it, tickle it, tickle it and then tickle it some more, it is possible, i drive steady and have a commute where there are very few hold ups, there'll be others out there getting similar, won't there ?

pdh 14a

Mr Fussy
Jan 21, 2008
Swansea
I normally get 42ish! But had a really slow drive from work yesterday to see what i could achive! its mixed roads and 10 miles. I came in at 50.6 mpg on the screen :D
Wish it was that much all the time,but being passed by milkfloats ain't worth it :cartman:

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise