• Take it to a garage

Votes: 4 80.0%

• Total voters

g_berserk

Smartass in training
Oct 15, 2014
Monterrey, Mexico
Hi everyone,

I have a set of new lowering springs for my cupra 265 in the mail, and was wondering if should tackle the install with the help of a friend.

We have tools, some experience with other cars, but no access to a lift, just jack and stands, and have never worked on any MQB based car.

After watching a lot of youtube videos, the constant issue I keep seeing is the hassle to remove the left-side strut due to the cramped space, and the need to remove the swaybar and the shaft or knuckle.
But I was wondering if anyone has done this themselve and if the old trick of compressing the spring with the compressors would give enough room to wiggle the strut out of the brace in the knuckle.

Also, any pointers are more than welcome.

If I decide to go this way instead of taking the car to a garage, I promise to write full-on guide for the forum.

280jl

Nov 20, 2015
Bromley
The rears will usually be easy, but the fronts generally you will need a special tool, so best off just paying someone to do it in my opinion

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
You will need spring compressors to get the front springs off. Having seen these in action you'll probably also needs balls of steel (or an Iron Man suit).

Reactions: Mr Pig

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
You will need spring compressors to get the front springs off. Having seen these in action you'll probably also needs balls of steel (or an Iron Man suit).
Almost poop myself every time i use mine, could easily take the head clean off if they snap :-o

It is relatively straight forward the rears are a doddle, probs half an hour a side tops.

The fronts is just nuts and bolts with the aid of spring compressors, say an hour / hour and a half a side

MATT RILEY

Oil burner
May 9, 2004
Do your self a big favour and when you do the fronts take the the whole strut and hub off together. People get into trouble trying to get the hub low enough to remove the strut.

g_berserk

Smartass in training
Oct 15, 2014
Monterrey, Mexico
So, I finally found the time to do the springs installation.
Really wanted to take it to a garage but my friend had already bought the required tools (minus the strut spreader and open socket for the top bases) and we decided to give it a shot.

Took us about 6 hours of cursing, knuckle busting and missplacing tools, but in the end we did it.

IT WASN'T WORTH THE HASSLE, but man, it was fun.

As you can imagine, we were so frustrated that didn't took any pictures of the process, but I can tell you that unless you have some really low-profile spring compressors, it's impossible to compress them enough to squeeze the front shocks out of the knuckle while everything else is in place.

Best approach is to remove the axle bolt and ball joint out of the control arm and remove the whole thing, we tried several other options that we saw on tutorials, and this is the easiest way to do it.

I say it wasn't worth the hassle because
A) this springs don't lower the cupra more than 20mm
B) few days later I found one of my struts is dead and we have to change both front

So anyway, the car looks "good", but nothing out of the ordinary. A set of spacers are in the future to at least make it look a bit better.

DKNl87t.jpg

ZDM7OlT.jpg

Reactions: Mr Pig

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
I have lowered about 4 or 5 cars on my drive in my youth. Can be tackled in a day but i will not be doing it again. It is hard graft and using those spring compressors you are literally chancing life and limb if they go you are taking your head off

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
So, I finally found the time to do the springs installation.
Really wanted to take it to a garage but my friend had already bought the required tools (minus the strut spreader and open socket for the top bases) and we decided to give it a shot.

Took us about 6 hours of cursing, knuckle busting and missplacing tools, but in the end we did it.

IT WASN'T WORTH THE HASSLE, but man, it was fun.

As you can imagine, we were so frustrated that didn't took any pictures of the process, but I can tell you that unless you have some really low-profile spring compressors, it's impossible to compress them enough to squeeze the front shocks out of the knuckle while everything else is in place.

Best approach is to remove the axle bolt and ball joint out of the control arm and remove the whole thing, we tried several other options that we saw on tutorials, and this is the easiest way to do it.

I say it wasn't worth the hassle because
A) this springs don't lower the cupra more than 20mm
B) few days later I found one of my struts is dead and we have to change both front

So anyway, the car looks "good", but nothing out of the ordinary. A set of spacers are in the future to at least make it look a bit better.

DKNl87t.jpg

ZDM7OlT.jpg
Springs should settle after a Week or so, assuming you only just fitted them.

g_berserk

Smartass in training
Oct 15, 2014
Monterrey, Mexico
I have lowered about 4 or 5 cars on my drive in my youth. Can be tackled in a day but i will not be doing it again. It is hard graft and using those spring compressors you are literally chancing life and limb if they go you are taking your head off
I know, it's the scariest part of the whole deal, so we double check them every time. This is also my 5th time working on suspensions, and so far the accident count it's still zero, fingers crossed if I ever do this again, the number remains the same.
Springs should settle after a Week or so, assuming you only just fitted them.
That photo is about 4 days after the install, manufacturer also said to give it another week, but hopefully with the low-stroke shocks they sell it will go 10mm or so lower than it is. I'm just waiting for them to stock them again because they ran out of the application for the Cupra

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise