Main Beam Projection

andycalvia

Oct 20, 2004
Ayrshire
So as I'm doing a lot of driving in the dark at the moment, I thought I'd noticed the Leon High/Main Beam protection was pretty poor.

I decided to conduct a very basic test with my other 2 cars a 2010 Renault Megane and a 2014 Peugeot 308. The Megane has slightly uprated halogen bulbs which are same output but ahine slightly brighter than standard without causing a dazzle and the 308 is just running just bog standard halogen bulbs.

I parked all 3 cars side by side on a level surface and shined the lights into a field.

The Leon with the FR spec LED headlights performed the worst.

The meagne was about 50% better and the the 308 had about double the projection. Surely this can't be correct?!

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
I think my MK4 headlights are a tiny bit duller than my MK3.5, but not awful like they were on the original MK3.

When I first got the car the high beam was useless, the default height was far too low. Adjusting the low beam up a little solved that, without dazzling anyone, so I think it's just another software bug you have to manually adjust.

andycalvia

Oct 20, 2004
Ayrshire
I think my MK4 headlights are a tiny bit duller than my MK3.5, but not awful like they were on the original MK3.

When I first got the car the high beam was useless, the default height was far too low. Adjusting the low beam up a little solved that, without dazzling anyone, so I think it's just another software bug you have to manually adjust.

Where can you adjust this?

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
Same as the MK3.5, there are several threads in that forum on how, just give the adjuster half a turn anticlockwise and check the dipped beam isn't too high, then repeat until it's reasonable - or take it to a local garage and ask them to help (not a dealership).

Mine need probably a turn and a half before the dipped beam matched other cars, it was aimed down at 6ft in front of the car when it arrived.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Same as the MK3.5, there are several threads in that forum on how, just give the adjuster half a turn anticlockwise and check the dipped beam isn't too high, then repeat until it's reasonable - or take it to a local garage and ask them to help (not a dealership).

Mine need probably a turn and a half before the dipped beam matched other cars, it was aimed down at 6ft in front of the car when it arrived.
Low dipped beam projection range seems to be a common issue with VW too. I adjusted the dipped beam height on my car as IMHO they were dangerously low from the factory and IMHO made night time driving hazardous. I gave the adjuster one full turn on my car and they’re much better; they could probably go a little higher without causing an issue for oncoming motorists.

Reactions: rodman
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise