Main dealer servicing costs.....even you didn't laugh you would cry!!!

Beasley

Apr 18, 2006
My 02/52 TDI SE was due the annual inspection service and also required a brake fluid change, front discs and pads and cabin filter.

So thinking Skoda might be a bit cheaper than SEAT I had an estimate for the service at my local Skoda dealer.

Approximately £450 I was quoted for that little lot. I said I thought Skoda would be a bit cheaper than SEAT and was told there basically around the same price.

So I trundled off to an independent garage not far from me which used to be a SEAT franchise garage quite a few years ago. Had a little chat with the guy there who was very friendly and said a few off the top of his head prices saying Leons were pretty cheap to service. So without an exact figure I said what the hell and booked the car in.
Asked also what parts they used and was pleased to hear they would be all VAG parts from the local VW dealer.

Took the car down the next week and came back later in the day. Was told the car was all done although they were waiting on the cost of some of the spares so could I drop the payment off next day. :) Don't think SEAT would let you drive away without paying.

Popped in the next day and was very pleased with the bill.

Annual service cost £21.50
Replace front brake discs and pads, change brake fluid £89.93

Parts

Brake Discs £40
Brake Pads £30
Brake Fluid £5.40
Oil Filter £5.50
Cabin Filter £7.10
Oils £25

Total 224.43
+ vat 39.27

Invoice Total £263.70 :)

Over £180 saved on the service using an independent. Oh and at least they remembered to put my dipstick back which is more than I can say for a SEAT dealer in Surrey. [:@]

Ok my Leon now doesn't have a full SEAT service history but what the hell, I have more money in my pocket and when I come to sell I won't lose out that much as it still has a full service history.

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
Ok my Leon now doesn't have a full SEAT service history but what the hell, I have more money in my pocket and when I come to sell I won't lose out that much as it still has a full service history.

Wont make the slightest difference mate. Most people these days are coming round to the idea that main dealers are expensive and the quality of work often varies tremendously.

When you come to sell your car you simply let people know that the quality of workmanship at your Seat dealer left a lot to be desired and they were stupidly expensive, so you used a local, quality, trustworthy garage to ensure your car was well looked after.

I'd consider the fact you actually care enough to do that, and aren't so lazy as you automatically stick it into Seat, as a very good thing!

nibbles

And Impreza
Wont make the slightest difference mate. Most people these days are coming round to the idea that main dealers are expensive and the quality of work often varies tremendously.

When you come to sell your car you simply let people know that the quality of workmanship at your Seat dealer left a lot to be desired and they were stupidly expensive, so you used a local, quality, trustworthy garage to ensure your car was well looked after.

I'd consider the fact you actually care enough to do that, and aren't so lazy as you automatically stick it into Seat, as a very good thing!

i agree with RoB most stealers r mostly young lads with a few older fitters

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
I just love the rep we guys in the retail network get..lol

You'll find that when somebody slates a main dealer, it's for a good reason :yes:

I can't speak for your place, nor can I speak for any other dealer other than my local Seat dealer. But me calling them a bunch of ignorant, rude, lazy, badly trained monkeys isn't in anyway unfair. And that's the senior guys! Don't get me started on the YTS boys that they are 'training'.

Plus, main dealer prices are stupidly high and for no good reason. Even if you were the same quality and the service was just as good as an independent, your price rules you out of the game straight away.

So, nothing personal and I'm sure there are good main dealers out there. And I'm also sure that when somebody finds one they will let everybody know about it ;)

swissrebel

May 17, 2007
I haven't had a bad experience with Seat Cheshunt yet, but since i've only used them to buy parts - I guess all the fun is yet to be had :)

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
I just love the rep we guys in the retail network get..lol

I know you're a top guy....

but....

when the ibiza was recalled for the servo pipe... the guy had to get the manual out, and still took ages to do nothing.

I had it off in a few seconds & passed it to him

davidol

New ghetto whip :)
Aug 17, 2004
Cardiff
white dove seat in cardiff (or as they are known amongst us local seat boys as "white pigeon") are absolutely useless, stood at the counter yesterday with my mates LCR in for warranty work, two guys stood behind the same desk but on the "parts" side wouldnt serve us as it wasnt there dept, fair enough but they only made an atempt to find someone else for us after i got pissed off stood there waiting for 10-15mins, receptionist was also watching but not doing anything to help. Didnt fix anything the car went in for and told us a window switch that was too be replaced under warranty was in stock, got there and it wasnt!!!

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
I haven't had a bad experience with Seat Cheshunt yet, but since i've only used them to buy parts - I guess all the fun is yet to be had :)

A good garage is a good garage, whoever they are. If you're lucky enough to live local to a good Seat dealer that doesn't charge extortionate prices, you're laughing! :D

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
There are some very good techs in the dealer network.

They get somewhat upset being paid very poorly for the hours they work and getting very little of what gets charged over the counter and end up leaving.

Thus another independant pops up :). Sooner or later I can see service depts being a thing of the past in all honesty.

nibbles

And Impreza
There are some very good techs in the dealer network.

They get somewhat upset being paid very poorly for the hours they work and getting very little of what gets charged over the counter and end up leaving.

Thus another independant pops up :). Sooner or later I can see service depts being a thing of the past in all honesty.

i totaly agree with what u are saying paying u £10 hr charging £60

Nathanio

May 26, 2005
West Sussex
www.w1pcs.co.uk
Wouldn't take my car to a dealer to be honest ever just because I know other better mechs else where!

The EU has at least contributed one thing to the UK that makes it useful...the warranty thing where you can have a car serviced elsewhere and maintain warranty

panholio

Jun 26, 2006
Leeds
I had nothing but sh1te service from my Local SEAT Dealer, JCT600 in Rawdon, Leeds such that I sold my LCR and I have bought a BMW.

They were rude, incompetent, had no idea of workmanship or that fact that the car they are working on is likely to be someone's "pride and joy", lacking in knowledge about SEAT Products (is your LCR a petrol or diesel version sir?), offered poor workmanship, bad communication while your car was in, charged for courtresy cars (which were usually crap Chryslers) and generally inconsistent in their approach to customer care.

The sales team also operated using blatant lies and underhand tactics.

I can't condemn them enough, they were simply appaling in most cases.

Such a shame as I absolutley loved the car but the dealership experience has put me off SEAT for life.

Snoopcousins

Working the Guns!
Mar 18, 2005
Bangor
Just left my leon FR TDI in with my local Skoda dealer and so far their service has been brilliant. The cheapest 20k service including brake fluid change at a SEAT dealer was £245 and Skoda are doing it for £180.
Free courtesy car too which is a nice wee brand new Suzuki Swift with 50 miles on it.
Hopefully il still be as happy with them when i pick it up!

spikeydoo

not such a newbie
May 19, 2006
Somerset
They are not all bad, it's just that people tend to shout louder when something not so good happens IMO, I've just had a good experience with a dealer....20k service inc brake fulid for £225 including car for the day & very good customer service - Holders in Congresbury - not as cheap as skoda but I had wty work to be carried out too - so it was just easier.

see the good/bad balance restored, well almost??