Making use of turbo

Aug 24, 2007
I forgot, mine would have been 40mpg but I sneezed going past a mkIV golf and hit the rev limiter in 3rd :D

scarface

Oct 27, 2005
West Midlands
leave a thread for a few days and look whats happened!

I have taken the car over the 3k revs before, but just wanted to know how to fully utilise the turbo. i dont race around or push the car much, which has surprised me because before i bought the car i had a saxo vtr and ripped that to shreds! maybe im scared of wrecking it after forking out so much money!

So in summary on a standard lcr i should push up to 5k rpm to get the best out of the turbo?

scarface

Oct 27, 2005
West Midlands
Also out of interest do any of you drive without the esp on? as id like to pull away at lights quicker than i am, but the anti wheelspin system kicks in and locks my wheels.

Mar 29, 2007
Berkshire
Peak power on std map comes at 6.2k rpm and revs quite freely up there. Peak torque is between 2800-5000 rpm IIRC.

I usually have the traction control off as I prefer to modulate the throttle rather than have engine power sapped.

Pulling away from a standing start in the LCR takes a bit of practise as it can either bog down or suffer wheel-hop if you give it the beans. I'd suggest some good sticky tyres and a stiffer dogbone mount to help with this.

Last edited:

JamJay

California Bound
It's good to stretch the cars legs once a week as these are adaptive ECUs, so if you drive slow it'll adapt that way and when you want to give it some, it'll feel sluggish. If you plan to start driving it properly :D then as mentioned in another recent thread, it might be worth doing an ECU reset.

I normally drive with TCS on when driving normally but times when I know i'm likely to whip it about a bit, TSC comes off but as lordgibbness says, you have to modulate the throttle. With my map and TCS off, it's rather wild to say the least but an uprated DBM will help me alot here.

scarface

Oct 27, 2005
West Midlands
It's good to stretch the cars legs once a week as these are adaptive ECUs, so if you drive slow it'll adapt that way and when you want to give it some, it'll feel sluggish. If you plan to start driving it properly :D then as mentioned in another recent thread, it might be worth doing an ECU reset.

I normally drive with TCS on when driving normally but times when I know i'm likely to whip it about a bit, TSC comes off but as lordgibbness says, you have to modulate the throttle. With my map and TCS off, it's rather wild to say the least but an uprated DBM will help me alot here.

ecu reset?

Faisal

UK's 1st Liquid Yello LCR
May 27, 2008
Most likely at work
The LCR driven to safe standards (to the limit and no harsh acceleration) can acheive nearly 37mpg :). When given the beans it's more like 26mpg :D.

I tend to drive on the torque but the AMD goes up to over 7k which much fun and there's still power to be had up there.

i dont know how the hell you manage those figures!!!i get 30 mpg when i drive carefully,and 18mpg city driving... and if i put the foot down i get considerably less...

D.K

LCR 225
Oct 24, 2007
se london
i dont know how the hell you manage those figures!!!i get 30 mpg when i drive carefully,and 18mpg city driving... and if i put the foot down i get considerably less...

On a run those figures are easy :D

My TCS is always OFF ;)

lee_woollett

Jan 19, 2009
northampton
My standard cupra normally gives me about 320 miles from a tank and i don't drive conservatively, i just drive to work and back daily and its 45 mile round trip and about 20 of those are motorway miles but as i work in milton keynes, there is lots of stoping and starting at the round abouts. still i get to test out the handling a lot

jamiebennett81

this has got to be the most rediculous thread I have seen on here for a long time

if you dont understand a turbo aspirated car or how to drive it then dont buy one!

mikey_b

May 18, 2008
Manchester

ive done 186 miles on a full tank if im always giving it sum beans

greesha

Leon 1.8T on steroids
Jan 6, 2009
Slough
I dont get it :/. Some of us get like 350 from a tank and some something like 180 - 210 (like me :p). I must say usually im not driving like a maniac, but i mostly do short trips to work and back (about 4 miles one way). But even when i took my LC for a longer motorway ride i have made about 270 miles from a tank (ok it wasnt normal driving, most of the time i was driving above ***** per hour). Im not sure now are those normal figures that i should be getting or there is something worng with my lc? How can i check lambda probes on vag-com if i dont get any fault codes? What readings from them are ok? What else can be resposible for higher fuel usage (except driver of course ;p)? MAF ?

Last edited by a moderator:

scarface

Oct 27, 2005
West Midlands
this has got to be the most rediculous thread I have seen on here for a long time

if you dont understand a turbo aspirated car or how to drive it then dont buy one![/QUOTE]

The whole point of posting in this section of the forum is to ask questions and get good advice from other owners! im sorry that not everyone can be as good an expert as you! besides i bought the car cos i like the look of it! :D