Making use of turbo

scarface

Oct 27, 2005
West Midlands
Ive only had my cupra r mk1 for about 6 months and have never driven a turbo engined car before. What revs do you go up to, to make full use of the turbo? I currently drive to a max of 3000rpm, but someone told me im not making full use of turbo and should rev to 6000-7000rpm to make the most out of turbo.

JamJay

California Bound
You've barely initiated the turbo at those revs! It starts spooling at around 1500rpm but doesn't really kick in until 2500rpm. With the standard map, it's very easy to tell when boost has dropped off as you stop sinking in the seat so much, at that point I find it best to change up, which was around 5500rpm. I don't think I have ever redlined...well hit the limiter anyway.

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
As JJ says around 5.5k after that the turbo cant produce any extra puff.

It does the engine good to stretch its legs, keeps it breathing well.

NotPotter

The proper feeling of a turbo is as close as is human possible of losing your virginity more than once

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
:lol:

Got to be a joke surely?

If it's not - seriously, if you've never gone above 3k - be careful when you do...

jamiebennett81

:lol:

Got to be a joke surely?

If it's not - seriously, if you've never gone above 3k - be careful when you do...

:rolleyes:

+1, gotta be a windup

seriously, not past 3k.....you are not a pensioner driving a Type R...which I so often see are you?

whack it round to to the redline for some fun:D

Mar 29, 2007
Berkshire
They have no problem revving up to 6500 rpm when the oils all warmed up - just make sure you let it cool down before turning it off. On the standard map peak power occurs at about 6200rpm - it's the amd/revo maps that peak at 5000-5500k rpm.

S3 AKR

livin' the dream!!!
Jun 30, 2004
Colchester, Essex
Many years ago, I had a similar experience in a Ren 5 GT Turbo. Bought it - didn't have a clue what to do with it. Then got brave and waheeeeey - only stopped to pick XR2's, RS Turbo's and Astra GTE's out of the grille.
Find a quiet road, nice and straight and give it the beans. Have the engine at normal temps before you do and allow the car to tick over for a couple of mins when you get home to let the oil circulate around the turbo to cool it down a bit.

Give yourself plenty of room for braking and slowing down and build up your confidence slowly and at your own pace.

jwfcms

Sep 14, 2008
UK Yorkshire
hes a 3k+ virgin... id put your seatbelt on seriously if you have never taken it above 3000rpm before thats barely ticking over.. mine pulls good all the way to 7000rpm with the custom code!

JamJay

California Bound
The LCR driven to safe standards (to the limit and no harsh acceleration) can acheive nearly 37mpg :). When given the beans it's more like 26mpg :D.

I tend to drive on the torque but the AMD goes up to over 7k which much fun and there's still power to be had up there.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.