Mapping out the cold start

Noam

Jul 19, 2001
Visit site
Is this really necesary on a catless , or even car with CAT car?
Is there anyway to shorten those 2 min. of cold starts?
Thanks

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
When an engine is cold, it runs better with a rich mixture (more fuel, less air). Years ago, the choke pinched off the airflow to the cylinder (hence the name "choke") and was operated manually. Later it was operated automatically (often turning off too soon and causing the car to stall a few minutes after starting). In modern cars, there is no choke, just the computer controlling the fuel and air mixture on a moment-by-moment basis.

Noam

Jul 19, 2001
Visit site
I was more under the impression that it was mainly to warm the CAT and ready it for proper emissions efficency.
Maybe the length of it could be shortened to half the time??
I just sit and wait it out , as driving at 1100 RPM gives an uneven feeling to the initial 2 min. drive . So more an annoyance thing :)

cupramillo

The "Red Baron"
Feb 24, 2008
South London
Just have to deal with it im afraid, its about whats best for the car and engine that matters, to me anyway. I can deal with a few mins of 1100rpm and gentle driving to make sure i dont damage the engine!

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2007
cardiff
yeah i dont get that! Why are you annoyed? What reason have you got to hate the cold start? Do you get really pee'd off quickly. I have never ever ever thought of the cold start being a problem.

Mat

have to wait a while anyway for the turbo to warm if you wanna have a proper thrash. No good ragging a cold engine/turbo.

also, I dunno about you, but it takes me abut 2 mins to get off my estate. Or are you one of these people that likes to race around housing estates?

Daymo

Low and Slow..
Jul 22, 2008
Scarborough/Sheffield
i know this may sound a bit stupid, but your engine isn't going to warm up that quickly whether or not you have the cold start on or off is it? it's still gonna take a while for the heat from the combustion to warm the rest of the engine up etc. isnt it???

Noam

Jul 19, 2001
Visit site
I know all that and for 8 years I've never even gone over 3500 rpm before oil temp. reaches 90c , so don't try to assume or pick a fight !!

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
if you did remove it you'd end up with 10 mins of stalling and/or slipping the clutch keeping it revving higher just to move

its a minor inconvenience and not one that's on and off as it works on a sliding scale from the temp sensor

ross p

Back at last....
Jul 13, 2007
Glasgow
www.firstrespondernm.co.uk
I know all that and for 8 years I've never even gone over 3500 rpm before oil temp. reaches 90c , so don't try to assume or pick a fight !!

Are you looking at the temp gauge on your dash or have you got an oil temp gauge installed?

If you are looking at the dash then thats coolant temp, so more than likely the oil wont be at the same temp as this. I know mines isnt when it reaches 90c. Get an oil temp gauge if you want to make sure.

No-one is trying to pick a fight, people just cant understand why you want this removed so badly. As all the reasons people have said.

But if you do want it removed, then im sure you'll manage to find a way:) but just remember to keep a bit of money back for all the parts which may get damaged and need replacing/repairing.

Ross

cupramillo

The "Red Baron"
Feb 24, 2008
South London
Until people know the facts thats all they can do assume....no one is picking, just trying to understand why you want to remove the cold start, something VAG probably spent millions of pounds developing for the saftey of the car... thats all :)

Noam

Jul 19, 2001
Visit site
I deal and will deal too .
It's just waiting with a loud zorst every morning or after leaving car cold in the winter is somewhat annoying . At least it gives me time to annoy my pain in the ass neighbour . .LOL

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members