Media Issues (or user error)

• Thread starter Deleted member 129529
  • Start date

Deleted member 129529

HI
Just got a 2021 Cupra Ateca, C&S happy with it so far, bit different from my Scirocco R,
certainly has a few more toys, one thing I can not seem to work out is how to play music files,
On the Scirocco I just put them on a sd, put them in the slot and it played easily,
Is there a SD or USB slot that I need to plug into ?
Can someone point me in the right direction

Thanks in advance
Richard

yanivkoval

Jul 20, 2017
Did you try to select sd card as source while in media player ?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Deleted member 129529

Thanks for your reply,. guess it was user error, my USB stick was formatted as NTFS, not FAT32.
Do think the USB slot is a bit messy with having to use a usb C adapter (which was supplied) to mem stick but it works.

With you mentioning sd card - is there a SD card slot some where in the car, that I have overlooked ?

yanivkoval

Jul 20, 2017
Thanks for your reply,. guess it was user error, my USB stick was formatted as NTFS, not FAT32.
Do think the USB slot is a bit messy with having to use a usb C adapter (which was supplied) to mem stick but it works.

With you mentioning sd card - is there a SD card slot some where in the car, that I have overlooked ?
You have mentioned that you are using an sd in your original post, and that is why I've referred to it. If you are using a usb stick, i dont remember that there is an issue in using ntfs formated drives.

Regarding the SD Card, try looking in your glove box compartment.

yanivkoval

Jul 20, 2017
This is from the manual

35cd7f03595407301a842b6ffe9d059a.jpg

Oldboy racer

Apr 18, 2017
Glasgow
HI
Just got a 2021 Cupra Ateca, C&S happy with it so far, bit different from my Scirocco R,
certainly has a few more toys, one thing I can not seem to work out is how to play music files,
On the Scirocco I just put them on a sd, put them in the slot and it played easily,

Thanks in advance
Richard
On my Leon I just put the SD card in the spare slot in glove box then went into media source where it should show up. I also had a usb plugged in and could see that as a source also. The usb was not a neat idea lying about centre console so just went with SD

Reactions: jcbmally

M4ppy

Jan 20, 2021
If it’s the facelift, they have removed the cd and sd module from the glovebox, it’s usb c only, but agree the user interface was better on the previous model, just takes a bit of time and playing to get used to it

Oldboy racer

Apr 18, 2017
Glasgow
If it’s the facelift, they have removed the cd and sd module from the glovebox, it’s usb c only, but agree the user interface was better on the previous model, just takes a bit of time and playing to get used to it
Just picked up car today. Looks like a learning curve with infotainment changes and need to buy usb stick for all the music I had on sd card.

Reactions: Tell and bgb

Oldboy racer

Apr 18, 2017
Glasgow
HI

Thanks in advance
Richard

Oldboy racer

Apr 18, 2017
Glasgow
Have you managed to sort out the SD card issues.
I have ordered a bigger memory usb stick but in the meantime I tried an SD to usb adaptor to try the sd card out. Not ideal as could see it being broken off.
Next issue is that only a few albums are showing the CD cover. Not sure why so will have to check.
The SD card worked ok in the Leon Cupra M17 so not sure why there are issues.
Anyone had issues??

Oldboy racer

Apr 18, 2017
Glasgow

I have ordered a 90 degree usb c plug with short cable to attach the usb stick. Still having issues as per my later post below.

Tell

Staff member
There are USB-C sticks about but the cable and extension is one solution. I'd question having the weight on a stick is the best solution. A cable extension may be better like what you are doing I reckon, less weight on the socket.Those USB studs get hot which I looked into with mib2... so didn't do, SD 128gb cards were fine. No SD card slot now on Mib3.

Fat32 is the order of the day with mib units that run QNX. People try to be clever by adopting more modern standards found on PCs but it bites back.

Deleted member 129529

Solved mine for now with a usb C mem stick.
Does stick out a bit and 1/2 thinking a usb C extension would be a better idea and velcro the mem stick to the side, until I can find a usb C mini mem stick, whic I think for me would be ideal solution.
Personally don't think that MIB3 is a step forward from the previous MIB2 units !

Reactions: Oldboy racer

Oldboy racer

Apr 18, 2017
Glasgow
Solved mine for now with a usb C mem stick.
Does stick out a bit and 1/2 thinking a usb C extension would be a better idea and velcro the mem stick to the side, until I can find a usb C mini mem stick, whic I think for me would be ideal solution.
Personally don't think that MIB3 is a step forward from the previous MIB2 units !
Agree as seems a bit of let down from last version mib2

Oldboy racer

Apr 18, 2017
Glasgow
There are USB-C sticks about but the cable and extension is one solution. I'd question having the weight on a stick is the best solution. A cable extension may be better like what you are doing I reckon, less weight on the socket.Those USB studs get hot which I looked into with mib2... so didn't do, SD 128gb cards were fine. No SD card slot now on Mib3.

Fat32 is the order of the day with mib units that run QNX. People try to be clever by adopting more modern standards found on PCs but it bites back.
I have ordered a 64 Gb usb c / usb stick and short cable to see how that works. Still not sure why the SD card
which worked ok before in Leon is not showing all the album covers

Tell

Staff member
I have ordered a 64 Gb usb c / usb stick and short cable to see how that works. Still not sure why the SD card
which worked ok before in Leon is not showing all the album covers

The album cover art may be too big for the program. 512x512 is the normal cover art size for media servers (no greater, can be less), if you go above that it may not show. The album art is sometimes integrated into the files if commercially bought but if you digitise your own CDs it may not be. I rigidly put the album art cover into a file called cover.jpg - most if not all media server software handles that so you can copy music files between your home media player and the car.

That album art file goes in with the tracks. Least on mib2 it reads that. The art file can be taken from a Google looking at the images tab for ones of the suitable size (e.g.. Amazon ones, discog etc) or if you have a large album art cover you can resize that yourself.

Reckon if you insert a cover.jpg file with those parameters in the offending directory it will show on the screen.

As far as the maximum number of files you can have on your media, mib2 had these limits:

– Playlists in the formats M3U, PLS, ASX and WPL.
– Playlists must not exceed 20 kB or more than 1000 entries.
– Filenames and paths that do not exceed 256 characters.
– For DVD, a maximum of 1000 files per storage device and directory.
– For memory cards, a maximum of 4000 files and a maximum of 1000 files per directory.
– For Jukebox (SSD) a maximum of 3000 files.

We can discard the DVD and Jukebox. The manual for the FL models to me doesn't reveal what the limits are, if any, I may have missed it thou. The limits were simple programming limits in how the software was written so they may have have upped these. Possible not the 256 characters, but the playlist 4000 files, with a maximum of a 1000 files per directory may have been increased.

If you presented mib2 units with an SD card / USB that broke those latter limits it would see up to, but not beyond. People would ask on boards why they were not seeing all of their music. Answer was it only indexed the files to those limits but didn't show the rest. (bit like package programs you would write yourself in the 70s/80s where you didn't declare arrays big enough or use pointers within the memory 😉... There lays their programming problem).

If you are using a 64 gb usb in place of 32 gb you may hit the limit if these limits still apply to mib3. Only really mp3 files where mib2 limits could be hit. Flac files are sufficiently large even with 128gb storage not to be an issue with mib2. I did some back of the envelope calculations at the time before I ordered the 128gb cards.

Needs somebody to check whether these limits apply to mib3 by presenting some files that break the mib2 limits above.

Last edited:

Oldboy racer

Apr 18, 2017
Glasgow
The album cover art may be too big for the program. 512x512 is the normal cover art size for media servers (no greater, can be less), if you go above that it may not show. The album art is sometimes integrated into the files if commercially bought but if you digitise your own CDs it may not be. I rigidly put the album art cover into a file called cover.jpg - most if not all media server software handles that so you can copy music files between your home media player and the car.

That album art file goes in with the tracks. Least on mib2 it reads that. The art file can be taken from a Google looking at the images tab for ones of the suitable size (e.g.. Amazon ones, discog etc) or if you have a large album art cover you can resize that yourself.

Reckon if you insert a cover.jpg file with those parameters in the offending directory it will show on the screen.

As far as the maximum number of files you can have on your media, mib2 had these limits:

– Playlists in the formats M3U, PLS, ASX and WPL.
– Playlists must not exceed 20 kB or more than 1000 entries.
– Filenames and paths that do not exceed 256 characters.
– For DVD, a maximum of 1000 files per storage device and directory.
– For memory cards, a maximum of 4000 files and a maximum of 1000 files per directory.
– For Jukebox (SSD) a maximum of 3000 files.

We can discard the DVD and Jukebox. The manual for the FL models to me doesn't reveal what the limits are, if any, I may have missed it thou. The limits were simple programming limits in how the software was written so they may have have upped these. Possible not the 256 characters, but the playlist 4000 files, with a maximum of a 1000 files per directory may have been increased.

If you presented mib2 units with an SD card / USB that broke those latter limits it would see up to, but not beyond. People would ask on boards why they were not seeing all of their music. Answer was it only indexed the files to those limits but didn't show the rest. (bit like package programs you would write yourself in the 70s/80s where you didn't declare arrays big enough or use pointers within the memory 😉... There lays their programming problem).

If you are using a 64 gb usb in place of 32 gb you may hit the limit if these limits still apply to mib3. Only really mp3 files where mib2 limits could be hit. Flac files are sufficiently large even with 128gb storage not to be an issue with mib2. I did some back of the envelope calculations at the time before I ordered the 128gb cards.

Needs somebody to check whether these limits apply to mib3 by presenting some files that break the mib2 limits above.
Thanks for detailed reply
I had 16.8G about 35 albums taken from CD s and used EAC to rip to FLAC and on an SD card. On a couple I checked the album art is < 500x500 and in a folder "Folder.jpg" but just did a quick check. The albums were ok on MIB2 in the Leon Cupra so not sure why they are missing now.
I will have another check on what is missing and make sure there is no user error !! :)

Tell

Staff member
Thanks for detailed reply
I had 16.8G about 35 albums taken from CD s and used EAC to rip to FLAC and on an SD card. On a couple I checked the album art is < 500x500 and in a folder "Folder.jpg" but just did a quick check. The albums were ok on MIB2 in the Leon Cupra so not sure why they are missing now.
I will have another check on what is missing and make sure there is no user error !! :)

Sometimes EACs doesn't have the album art in it or can't find it in the database. That's when I go to the manual methods of taking it off a Google search of the right size by viewing the dimensions or resizing. I had a big minidisc collection I convered to Flac using Audacity and a sound card for optical in, WAV to FLAC within Audacity, then went looking for the album art :). Five month project. Thru the MDs away after that moved to a media server after that in the home, nothing fancy a WD 2TB Passport drive plugged into an a Asus router that supports UPnP. I had a Sony MD changed in my old car, part of the re-provision during the build wait ;). Outed the MD players in the home and car, moved to Flac. Ban storage of CDs in the lounge.

Last edited:

Oldboy racer

Apr 18, 2017
Glasgow
Sometimes EACs doesn't have the album art in it or can't find it in the database. That's when I go to the manual methods of taking it off a Google search of the right size by viewing the dimensions or resizing. I had a big minidisc collection I convered to Flac using Audacity and a sound card for optical in, WAV to FLAC within Audacity, then went looking for the album art :). Five month project. Thru the MDs away after that moved to a media server after that in the home, nothing fancy a WD 2TB Passport drive plugged into an a Asus router that supports UPnP. I had a Sony MD changed in my old car, part of the re-provision during the build wait ;). Outed the MD players in the home and car, moved to Flac. Ban storage of CDs in the lounge.
Sounds familiar. Long process but all cds into FLAC and on Synology mirror 4Tb drives. :)
Had another quick check (grandson watching) in car and 3 out 0f 35 albums show artwork. Head scratching continues.

Tell

Staff member
Sounds familiar. Long process but all cds into FLAC and on Synology mirror 4Tb drives. :)
Had another quick check (grandson watching) in car and 3 out 0f 35 albums show artwork. Head scratching continues.
Probably need to try one album on a USB. Reckon a jpeg in the folder would take precedence over anything EACs would copy across integrated. Feels like an experiment. Art work is also suppose to be found on mib2 highs via Gracenotes but I've never really been aware of it doing that. May be the online aspect of mib3 might try something like that ?.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.