Metallic Smell inside car sometimes after starting

skb

Apr 21, 2019
United Kingdom
Brand new facelifted Cupra Ateca barely done a couple hundred miles. Sometimes after starting and reversing the car, I get a metallic/acrid smell inside the car. Both Missus and I noticed it a few times now. Doesnt seem to always happen, but I reckon could be related to putting the car in reverse and then driving away after start. It does go away after a while.

Opened the engine bay with engine running and couldnt smell anything specifically. Was wondering if this is related to new clutch or maybe brakes or just the car breaking in since its new? Also had the heater on at that time so could possibly could be from the air vents. Not sure.. was hoping anyone might have any inputs on this please? Car runs fine, pulls away great and no other issues as such apart from this ocassional smell... was worried since car has barely done any miles due to lockdown.

Last edited:

M4ppy

Jan 20, 2021
Might be the cat, they can stink sometimes. Not had this on my facelift but did on my previous ateca.

Reactions: skb

skb

Apr 21, 2019
United Kingdom
Hmm possible.. I did notice this on shorter journeys ... didn’t realise the smell would permeate in the cabin that too with the car being so new?

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.