Midland Tuning Map 2.0 TDI 184 Leon

jfellows10

May 14, 2020
Has anyone on here had a remap done by midlands tuning on a Leon FR 2.0 TDI 184 DSG?

Was looking at booking in with them as I was recommended by someone I know with a golf.

Also if you have had done elsewhere what sort of power gains am I looking at getting? I will be having a dyno also.

Cheers :)

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
Has anyone on here had a remap done by midlands tuning on a Leon FR 2.0 TDI 184 DSG?

Was looking at booking in with them as I was recommended by someone I know with a golf.

Also if you have had done elsewhere what sort of power gains am I looking at getting? I will be having a dyno also.

Cheers :)

Can't comment on a remap but my 184 manual is chipped.

Previous owner had it dyno'd on the higher settings and said they got about 225. The manufacturers claim about 240.

I don't drive the car that hard but the pickup is deffo better and you get decent surge around 3,000RPM+

I would hope that a remap would yield better results.

Reactions: jfellows10

Woody_72

May 10, 2020
Northwest England
There's a Darkside Developments video about tuning the 2.0 TDI 184 engines and they say that as stock, there isn't a lot of headroom in it. IIRC, about 220 BHP is all you can safely get out of it after which the EGTs go insane and melt everything. To go further you're looking at ripping out the EGR and DPF systems and replacing the turbo and possibly fuel pump etc ie mucho expensive.

jfellows10

May 14, 2020
There's a Darkside Developments video about tuning the 2.0 TDI 184 engines and they say that as stock, there isn't a lot of headroom in it. IIRC, about 220 BHP is all you can safely get out of it after which the EGTs go insane and melt everything. To go further you're looking at ripping out the EGR and DPF systems and replacing the turbo and possibly fuel pump etc ie mucho expensive.
I will watch the video now, 220 is what i had seen others say as well but i would be happy with these gains as i wouldnt be looking to go further than a stage 1.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Although the 184TDI is ultimately limited in maximum power/air flow by it's cylinder head cross flow design for high tumble/high efficiency it responds very well in Torque, looks like it is rather torque limited by VAG in standard form.
So may not be much quicker after a remap against the stop watch, but it well 'feel' quicker with in gear acceleration and not needing to shift down a gear.

jfellows10

May 14, 2020
Much difference?
Did they also 'tune' the DSG?
Running up to 230bhp now, yes you can feel the difference definitely. Main difference you can feel is the torque, it pulls a lot quicker off the line now. They tuned the gearbox to match the map and made sure that gear 1 was not overpowered to prevent any damage to the clutch. As soon as it is into gear 2-3 it flys.

Last edited:

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Running up to 230bhp now, yes you can feel the difference definitely. Main difference you can feel is the torque, it pulls a lot quicker off the line now. They tuned the gearbox to match the map and made sure that gear 1 was not overpowered to prevent any damage to the clutch. As soon as it is into gear 2-3 it flys.
Interesting feedback, let us know how/IF it effects your mpg when you have run some tanks of fuel?
Did they mention if it will effect the DPF? More power = more soot mass the DPF has to deal with.

jfellows10

May 14, 2020
Interesting feedback, let us know how/IF it effects your mpg when you have run some tanks of fuel?
Did they mention if it will effect the DPF? More power = more soot mass the DPF has to deal with.
They didnt mention the dpf, but i do a lot of miles anyway so shouldnt be a problem for me hopefully

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Did Midland Tuning offer a before and after dyno run? or are these figures plucked out of the air like a lot of other tuners these days.

SteveGSXR600K1

May 6, 2017
I got the Revo map done to my 184FR a couple of months a go. If you're driving it 'normally' you won't get any more frequent regens, but the MPG should go up a little bit as it's much smoother, no flat spot, etc. These will only happen if you're booting it everywhere and want to play with the extra power and torque! I like to have a play, but 9/10 you're driving it 'normally', so I don't notice any side-affects.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise