mirror covers

kev64

Sep 12, 2009
Chislehurst
Hello All ! keep thinking about changing my mirror covers to the aluminium look ones (like the FR's) that are in the Seat Accessories brochure ( i believe they do them chrome too).
However i am wonder are the old ones easy to remove without damaging them or would i be better getting the dealer to change them ??

Sep 29, 2009
norwich
Hi have a red ibiza sc sport 17" alloys dark tinted windows, went in for the chrome mirror caps, at first was a bit unsure but as the day went on, more and more pleased with them.
As fitting them your self very easy, but would put a large blanket on the ground to catch the orig caps, as my first one shoot out of my hands and damaged the cover as it hit the ground, second one also jumped out of my hands and landed on the blanket with no damage, new ones went on very easy.
Have also added new sports gear knob, handbrake cover,interior door handles, dashboard decorative kit all in alloy and thinking of buying some sports pedals, worth every penny.

Busta

Sep 13, 2009
Can you tell us how you put the new sport gear know. I would like to fit it myself so any details will be appriciated!

Cheers!

Sep 29, 2009
norwich
go to googles type replace vw golf mk4 gear knob and you will find some information, this is what I used as almost the same princeable, sorry I cant give you the the photos I used but I need to post 15 more posts. (vortex.com) hope this helps

Last edited:

Ian McN

Got a new Ibiza CR 1.6 Tdi (metallic grey 17" alloys, exhaust trim, rear tints, upgraded headlight bulbs, silver (Lexus style) indicator bulbs, mud flaps, radiator 'grill behind grill', Seat aluminium gear knob) and have just today replaced the door mirror covers with the aluminium finished type - the mirror finished versions are a tad too pimped for my liking! The secret of removing the original covers is to fold the mirrors back and use and old plastic credit or gift card at the point nearest the underside of the mirror to the bodywork (when the mirror is in the usual down position).
There's not a lot of give with the covers so forget getting your fingers behind them or indeed a screwdriver - got a small nick in the original cover now after that attempt with the screwdriver!
Inserting the plastic card takes some force as you've to 'feel' for the point of least resistance but once in slide the card along and prise the cover off using the card as leverage and as such it should remove without damage - good idea to place a sheet or blanket underneath just in case the cover falls. Pleased with the finished result as it makes the car a little more distinctive. Hope this tip helps.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.