MK1 Leon FR Correction Detail

looks great matey, would love to have mine done in the spring....**quick question** when you treat the alloys have you got any product or can you recommend any products that get rid of brake dust?..my wheels have been refurbed but it seems the dust is starting to bond

A good clean with an alloy wheel cleaner like bilberry for the initial clean, use it neat. You can then protect your wheel with something like poorboys wheel sealant. This will not stop your wheels getting dirty like most people think it should but what it will do is protect your wheels against the elements in the future and make future cleaning easier. Just keep topping them up when time allows. If you treat them to poorboys wheel cleaner make sure you use a cleaner that will not strip this protectant or it will just be waisted. Bilberry will strip the sealant when used neat so that's why I say use it neat on first clean but for any future cleaning you should dilute it down so it won't strip your sealant.

http://www.prestigepolish.co.uk/item/Valet-Pro_Wheels_Bilberry-safe-wheel-cleaner_6_0_118_0.html

http://www.prestigepolish.co.uk/item/Poorboys-World_Wheels_Poorboys-Wheel-Sealant_6_0_74_0.html

Hope this helps.

Lee.

DOLBY

Jun 24, 2006
North of London
www.facebook.com
A good clean with an alloy wheel cleaner like bilberry for the initial clean, use it neat. You can then protect your wheel with something like poorboys wheel sealant. This will not stop your wheels getting dirty like most people think it should but what it will do is protect your wheels against the elements in the future and make future cleaning easier. Just keep topping them up when time allows. If you treat them to poorboys wheel cleaner make sure you use a cleaner that will not strip this protectant or it will just be waisted. Bilberry will strip the sealant when used neat so that's why I say use it neat on first clean but for any future cleaning you should dilute it down so it won't strip your sealant.

http://www.prestigepolish.co.uk/item/Valet-Pro_Wheels_Bilberry-safe-wheel-cleaner_6_0_118_0.html

http://www.prestigepolish.co.uk/item/Poorboys-World_Wheels_Poorboys-Wheel-Sealant_6_0_74_0.html

Hope this helps.

Lee.

thanks lee,
will this product not be too strong for a painted surface (i.e the wheel)...they were only refurbed a couple months ago...i have just cleaned mine and the dust is defo stuck on there, its bonded! if you are sure the bonded dust comes off i will buy some..

also, have you ever detailed a silver LCR?, im only asking because im wanting to know what results you will get as silver repels the light so will not look as good as say a black car...

from your attention to detail with all the little bits people tend to look over when cleaning there cars i will surely get my car booked in with you when the weather improves...very impressed

thanks lee,
will this product not be too strong for a painted surface (i.e the wheel)...they were only refurbed a couple months ago...i have just cleaned mine and the dust is defo stuck on there, its bonded! if you are sure the bonded dust comes off i will buy some..

also, have you ever detailed a silver LCR?, im only asking because im wanting to know what results you will get as silver repels the light so will not look as good as say a black car...

from your attention to detail with all the little bits people tend to look over when cleaning there cars i will surely get my car booked in with you when the weather improves...very impressed

Hi Bret,

Bilberry is more than safe to use on your wheels. It's non-acidic so won't blister your wheels.

I have never detailed a silver LCR but have detailed a silver C5 recently, I will post up a pic for you soon as I find it. Silver and white can still come up really well if the correct products are used. Colour has a huge factor on the LSP we choose.

Lee.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
I prefer the properties of 3M Extra Fine Compound compared to Megs when doing light cutting. I wiould reach for megs products more with a DA. 3M pads and product are best when used with rotary.

Megs pads are great and I finished down with a Megs finishing pad with 3M Ultrfina.

I do prefer Megs pads all round tho apart from cutting.

Lee.
When I detail cars I tend to use the Mezerna compounding pad for cutting however I am finding this a pretty 'hard' pad as it tends to slip quite easily off the surface so care is needed. Trying to weigh up options of 3M pad vs Megs one for cutting so upon your advise I shall place my order. :)

When I detail cars I tend to use the Mezerna compounding pad for cutting however I am finding this a pretty 'hard' pad as it tends to slip quite easily off the surface so care is needed. Trying to weigh up options of 3M pad vs Megs one for cutting so upon your advise I shall place my order. :)

Are you cutting via rotary. The 3M pads offer better cutting compared to Megs but the megs range win on finishing. All Cutting pads have this trouble and need care and attention, it's down to the loose cell structure causing a slacker surface area and cutting pads will always be harder. The 3M pads are solid and need care but when you have the rite techinque are some of the best IMO if needed.

Do you need a cutting pad, always start out less and try giving it ore than one hit if needed.

Sorry if this is all very abvious to you I have no idea of the level you are at. ;)

Lee.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Are you cutting via rotary. The 3M pads offer better cutting compared to Megs but the megs range win on finishing. All Cutting pads have this trouble and need care and attention, it's down to the loose cell structure causing a slacker surface area and cutting pads will always be harder. The 3M pads are solid and need care but when you have the rite techinque are some of the best IMO if needed.

Do you need a cutting pad, always start out less and try giving it ore than one hit if needed.

Sorry if this is all very abvious to you I have no idea of the level you are at. ;)

Lee.
I have done half a dozen full paint correction details not on various cars and got some good results. Hopefully I will get the opportunity to do a lot more this year. I am currently using a DA but will move to rotary as some polishes play better with rotary from what I have read. I am finding the DA is too much hard work when trying to burnish the finish or tackle the tougher scratches. Guessing then there is no point change cutting pad on the DA at the moment.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.