Mk1 Leon Headlight Warning Sound

hcuk94

Dec 27, 2022
hi all, I have a 2004 mk1 Leon. When I leave the headlights on, and take the key out to leave the car, there is no audible warning for the headlights still being on.
Does anyone know if this is something that the mk1 Leons do?
Wondering if its something that should be there but is broken, something that can be coded, or just something that the mk1 Leons don't have.
Any advice/experience appreciated, thanks!

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
hi all, I have a 2004 mk1 Leon. When I leave the headlights on, and take the key out to leave the car, there is no audible warning for the headlights still being on.
Does anyone know if this is something that the mk1 Leons do?
Wondering if its something that should be there but is broken, something that can be coded, or just something that the mk1 Leons don't have.
Any advice/experience appreciated, thanks!

Sounds like your door switch is on the way out. The Leon door locks are pretty terrible and either they don't lock or unlock, or the car doesn't know when the doors are open or closed. My girlfriend managed to run down my battery because the beep didn't sound and she left the lights on.

An easy way to find out is if the interior lights or the door light come on when you open the door.

Sadly, you'll have to replace or re-solder the lock, which means taking it out. It's not a hard job but it takes a bit of time, stripping down the door etc.

It's a Leon rite of passage - I think most people here have had to do it at some point! There are lots of guides for it, and lots of advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: mty12345 and hcuk94

hcuk94

Dec 27, 2022
Sounds like your door switch is on the way out. The Leon door locks are pretty terrible and either they don't lock or unlock, or the car doesn't know when the doors are open or closed. My girlfriend managed to run down my battery because the beep didn't sound and she left the lights on.

An easy way to find out is if the interior lights or the door light come on when you open the door.

Sadly, you'll have to replace or re-solder the lock, which means taking it out. It's not a hard job but it takes a bit of time, stripping down the door etc.

It's a Leon rite of passage - I think most people here have had to do it at some point! There are lots of guides for it, and lots of advice.

Thanks very much for coming back to me - you're absolutely right, the interior light isn't coming on either, so it does look like its the open/close sensor.
A weekend project to sort! Thanks for your help.

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Thanks very much for coming back to me - you're absolutely right, the interior light isn't coming on either, so it does look like its the open/close sensor.

No problem! Some people take the lock out and try to re-solder the connections, which probably just snap after years of stress from opening and closing the door, but there's no guarantee of it working, and even the Chinese locks on eBay work pretty well.

It seems pretty drastic taking the door cards and door skin off, and depending on how confident you feel, taking the window glass out, but it isn't an especially complicated job and gives you a chance to re-seal the doors with butyl to stop rain getting into the car.

The rear doors are much, much harder. The switch has gone in my offside rear door and I'm really not in a hurry to fix that, but I did my front door a few years back and it's still going strong.

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members