MK2 Leon Cupra Buying advice

jackbarraclough5196

May 23, 2019
Lancashire
Hi guys

Can’t seem to find any solid info, so any help would be much appreciated.

I’m looking at buying the above, I have limited knowledge on the engine and associated faults/problems. I’m looking at a relatively high mileage example on my budget (80,000-100,000m) so any tips on related issues at this kind of mileage? Also what to make sure has been replaced by this stage.

I’ve had a diesel pre facelift for some years now with 180k on the clock, appreciate it’s a totally different situation but I feel like they’re a solid car when looked after.

If anybody could give some conservative modification guidance too, I’m not looking to ring its neck, just bring it alive with some tasteful additions (or removals), without any MOT issues, again I’m not clued up on how many cats this thing has and how many can be removed etc for example. And of course what NOT to do!

TIA chaps!
Jack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

300bhpdaily

May 26, 2020
Engine wise I’d check when the cam belt is due and the chain and tensioner was last done.
Check for oil leaks from the rocker cover gasket and vacuum pump
When was the cam follower last done
Does it have a decent service record
Check the discs and pads and tyres when they were done last.
Does the car have all the keys
Do the door locks work off the keyfob on EVERY door?
Also check the oil level if it’s on min it might be burning a tiny bit of oil some do and some don’t.
check when the brake fluid was last changed.
Also does the steering feel direct or sloppy does it granch when going lock to lock if so it needs top mounts
Have any of the shocks been changed since it was new? If not then check them for oil misting
Put the hand brake on and put it in 1st and slowly go up with the clutch to biting point with someone watching the engine if it rocks back or forward it will need engine and gearbox mounts.
Check to see if it’s ever had a clutch and dual mass flywheel changed.

All of the above I’m speaking from my own experience of my car alone and doesn’t reflect on every Leon mk2 I’m probably missing alots.

jackbarraclough5196

May 23, 2019
Lancashire
[mention]300bhpdaily [/mention] brilliant thanks mate. How often are the clutch/flywheels due to be changed? I’ve read the PCV should be done at some point too?

I’ll jot this down and make sure I check them when I start viewing. Are these generally dependable on motors creeping up in mileage? I want to be able to use it on the weekends with the family and not have to worry about reliability issues - to an extent

300bhpdaily

May 26, 2020
Yea how many miles the cars done will play on some of the things miles high mileage and was fit for the scarp yard but I decided to save it and fix it all up. I could of brought a decent one by now the money it’s cost me. Also yea pcv was the only thing mine didn’t need as it had a new one the week I got it. With the basic maintenance of it it should be reliable anyway it’s a vag. The thing is buying a car of this age mines 2008 you’d expect it to need a lot of work I’m very anal with cars but now I’ve gone over the whole car it doesn’t want for anything at all. Everything works as it should if not better as I’ve modded what I thought should be better. Like engine and gearbox mounts exhaust remap and intake and diverter valve. I’ve fitted coilovers whiteline anti roll bars and strut braces. I want to replace my track Ibiza cupra with this someday when it’s track ready till then I’ll drive to work init and just enjoy it.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
I like checking previous MOT’s you can do this online gives you an idea of how well the car has been looked after, lots of fails / advisories would suggest the bare minimum has been done to keep the car on the road, you see some advisories like bald tyres year upon year and you just go nope not been looked after.

Last edited:
Reactions: 300bhpdaily

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Guide here which includes mods and some OEM parts:

Another bit of info here:

Reactions: jackbarraclough5196

Leeoncupra

Feb 12, 2017
Halesowen
I bought my cupra in may (my second mk2 leon cupra)

My first one the engine let go at 78k due to poor maintenance, it had full history but was not run on the right oil and also I suspect it had been run below the min mark

My current one has 126k on and runs absolutely mint, out the 2 its definitely the much better car

So my advice is buy on condition and not mileage and just check all the above
A good plus is low owners aswell as you get your money it's actually been looked after

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

jackbarraclough5196

May 23, 2019
Lancashire
[mention]Leeoncupra [/mention] That’s 2 people now that have told me they’ve had engines for the scrap pile

What oil is recommended, 5w30? I’ve read that if the oil pickup hasn’t ever been inspected/replaced accordingly this could cause the undesired effect?

I’ll keep my eyes extra peeled upon viewings, seems if I can get a non abused example that’s had care these can be a dependable motor.

Leeoncupra

Feb 12, 2017
Halesowen
I run mine on quantum platinum 5/40

Just have a good listen to the engine for any rattles or knocks and check the oil level

I paid good money for my old silver one at the time which it turned out to be a right money pit , dont let price make you think your getting a mint car

Paid 3500 for my latest one

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
What oil is recommended, 5w30? I’ve read that if the oil pickup hasn’t ever been inspected/replaced accordingly this could cause the undesired effect?

The manual says 5w30. A lot of us with mapped cars switch to 5w40 cause of the additional heat the engine produces from the map. Oil pickup pipe is worth doing at least once for piece of mind and not particularly expensive. On a poorly maintained car it can block and cause oil starvation. I had mine done at 55,000 miles and didn't really need doing (but has had oil changes every 3000 miles).

jackbarraclough5196

May 23, 2019
Lancashire
The manual says 5w30. A lot of us with mapped cars switch to 5w40 cause of the additional heat the engine produces from the map. Oil pickup pipe is worth doing at least once for piece of mind and not particularly expensive. On a poorly maintained car it can block and cause oil starvation. I had mine done at 55,000 miles and didn't really need doing (but has had oil changes every 3000 miles).

Nice one mate, thanks for all the info it’s a massive help. How much did it cost you to replace the pickup pipe if you don’t mind me asking?

[mention]Leeoncupra [/mention] I most definitely agree, the 1.9tdi Leon I drive now cost me £800 and has now done 175k with no questions asked. Hopefully I score lucky and get a nice looked after motor that can bring our family some smiles on the weekend

Reactions: Leeoncupra

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Nice one mate, thanks for all the info it’s a massive help. How much did it cost you to replace the pickup pipe if you don’t mind me asking?

Think it was about £80 (parts and labour). Keep in mind, it's best to do it at the same time as a service as they'll need to drop the sump and empty all your oil out to do it.

Reactions: jackbarraclough5196