Mk2 or mk1 tdi FR help

mrplebby

Has anyone sold there mk1 4 the mk2 and why and is the mk2 worth the extra money, i have around £7000-£8000 to spend, should i buy a singing and dancing mk1 or bog standard mk2 ???

Thanks Dave

2zeroalpha

Chippin at the chalkface
Feb 12, 2008
Yorkshire
Sold my mk1 for a mk2 about five minutes after getting out from the test drive. Granted that was also 150tdi to 197tfsi so the jump in performance seemed massive.

However with the amount you want to spend you may be better off buying a tricked up mk1. To buy a mk2 with potential and then tune it up, you're looking at a few thousand more.

Last edited:

11980sm

Can't comment on the Mk1, as never driven one, but to give you a guide price I just purchased an FR 170 TDI 56 plate, high ish miles (70k) but full Seat service history, and pretty much immaculate, I paid £8.5k for it - Best money I ever spent!

Got it from car giant in North London, may be worth a look on their website, they are changing their stock all the time. Helpful guys and none of the B S you normally get from dealers.

Hope this helps,

Simon

mrplebby

Thanks 4 your responses, cosmetics aside what else is better on mk2, it looks more modern, i am not bothered about the new look dash on the mk2 as i have over a grand of kenwood radio and Kenwood KNA-G520 sat nav and i think i would have trouble fitting it into that dash and wouldnt look very good but would fit great in the mk1's.

I am looking for more reasons to be put off the mk1s i guess, fuel economy is more important than performance but if i can get both that would be great, which it can be achieved on the diesel engine in these cars thats whats appealing to me.

Oct 17, 2006
Mid Wales
Mk2 has cruise control, dual zone climate, steering wheel stereo controls, independent rear suspension, 16v engine, flip key(!)....

Sure there's more - it's just a more modern car!

OLDOILER

Jul 28, 2005
Wiltshire, UK
Has anyone sold there mk1 4 the mk2 and why and is the mk2 worth the extra money, i have around £7000-£8000 to spend, should i buy a singing and dancing mk1 or bog standard mk2 ???

Thanks Dave
If you don't mind putting with the potental DPF problems then get a 1P FR 170 or if you are a bit unsure go for the reference sport 140 hp and remap to 180hp - no DPF problems etc plus you would have some monies spare for other work??!!!

John007

Apr 17, 2005
Cambs
I have had 2 Mk 1's first a LC then a LCR, then bought a golf Gti that I ran for 2 Years, Just stepped back into mk 2 FR 170.

Mk2 is a better car than a Mk 1 as others have said it is just a bit more modern,

You also have the best of both worlds with the FR diesel as it goes pretty well and gives you 40mpg.

mrplebby

Mk2 has cruise control, dual zone climate, steering wheel stereo controls, independent rear suspension, 16v engine, flip key(!)....

Sure there's more - it's just a more modern car!

Cruise control i have had this only on two cars i have owned a GTO jap import and a 1982 X reg renault 9 tse, i really havent missed it, i have climate control in my landrover, is dual control mean that the passenger can change there temp as thats what the landrover has, does the mk1 have not climate control just aircon???

Thanks

FR_Flavoured

Can't comment on the Mk1, as never driven one, but to give you a guide price I just purchased an FR 170 TDI 56 plate, high ish miles (70k) but full Seat service history, and pretty much immaculate, I paid £8.5k for it - Best money I ever spent!

Got it from car giant in North London, may be worth a look on their website, they are changing their stock all the time. Helpful guys and none of the B S you normally get from dealers.

Hope this helps,

Thats really cheap, £8500 for a Mk2 FR!! 57 plate FR's dont sell for much less that £12 - £13K.

But then that one does have pretty higher than average mileage - does it come with all the usual toys - Bluetooth etc?

Oct 17, 2006
Mid Wales
Cruise control i have had this only on two cars i have owned a GTO jap import and a 1982 X reg renault 9 tse, i really havent missed it, i have climate control in my landrover, is dual control mean that the passenger can change there temp as thats what the landrover has, does the mk1 have not climate control just aircon???

Thanks

Each to their own - I couldn't be without my cruise control now - I do a lot of long journeys though!

Dual zone climate is where the driver and passenger can choose their own temperature - the mk1 has single zone climate.

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
I had a MK1 Cupra and whilst nice the MKII has a much better chassis and the overall build quality is a notch up form the MK1.

MKII will take a double din stereo no problems with the right fascia adaptor. MKII feels more spacious and has the same amount of tuneability as the MK1. The orgianl Leon was a MKVI Golf and the MKII pre FL is a MKV Golf in esscence to give an idea of the chassis and electric changes.

SEAT seem to wait for the next gen Golf to be released then steal the electrics and mechanics and pedro covers it in a stylish spanish set of clothes :D. The FL Leon is now mechanically and electrically a MKIV Golf only suspension/steering tunning differs and SEAT have not got or been given the active suspension that VW has.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.