Mk2 Toledo whining noise

UibhFhaili

Aug 19, 2016
Offaly, Eire
Hi folks, I own a Mk2 Toledo Tdi 150 which has developed a fairly serious whining noise up front identical to wheel bearing. Replaced both bearings but the noise is still there, was more pronounced when locking to left(right hand bearing I thought) but now audible all the time :(
Decided then to replace the hub with a brand new one with new bearing, no difference.
Could it be the gearbox? It's a 6 speed box and I've heard that the 6 speed boxes in Passats are troublesome...dunno if these are the same box.
I also jacked up the front and drove the car up into 2nd gear with wheels spinning and there was a major resistance and noise when doing so. I did this to try rule out the tyres as being the issue.

Any ideas/pointers that could help me?

Cheers
Jimmy

Old Bloke

Jan 30, 2014
Oxfordshire
Does the whining rise and fall with road speed with or without the engine on or does the whining rise and fall when you go up or down the gearbox with engine revs rising and falling ? The former would point to a wheel bearing and new ones can fail right from the pack, I have experienced this myself so don't discount a duff new one.
If the latter it could point to either diff carrier bearings if the noise is constant and drones or if it rises in pitch as you go up the gears but then goes silent in top then it could well be layshaft bearings.
Either way get BOTH wheels off the deck and support the car on axle stands and listen with a Mechanics stethescope ( like a doctors but has a thin metal rod ) for access to difficult places to pinpoint where it's coming from.
Rememeber the cambelt has a bearing acting on it as well and is no different in construction to wheel bearings so have a listen at the cambelt cover for any noise there.

UibhFhaili

Aug 19, 2016
Offaly, Eire
Hiya, thanks for the response.
I gave up investigating this and gave it to my mechanic to fix, he took out the gearbox and had that refurbed, €450 later dropped it in and bingo noise sorted!
To me the noise was more in the drive shafts/bearings but apparently not.
I also reckoned that if the gearbox was on the way out I'd know by its performance, but there were no issues.
Anyway been running it now for a few weeks with no issues so I'm happy enough

Old Bloke

Jan 30, 2014
Oxfordshire
Excerllent,
Did your Mechanic indicate what was up the Chute as I have a noise similar to yours on mine and it would be nice to know if he/she found out what it was
My guess is diff pinnion bearing or a worn diff final drive gears ( ie Too much back lash ) that is wear between the pinion and crown wheel in the differential, either way it'd be nice to know.

I can decide whether or not to do it myself or run it until it breaks.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.