MK3 Leon Cupra R - rumour and speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
Your right it is a seat forum , and I'm here because oh I drive a seat !
And it's my second , you misread my post I talked about seat customer services nothing about dealers !
It sounds like your lucky and have not experienced bad customer service , just hope your mk3 holds up!

And I'm no badge snob , otherwise I would not have owned any seats !
But if it's all you can afford then hay ho

This site is for SEAT fans, lovers is it not , just because you drive one doesn't automatically put you in that category, I have had SEATs since 1996, and loved them all, and don't buy them because that's all I can afford, I am a tight Scots git so I like value for my cash and that's why I will continue with quick SEATs till I am too old to motor.:D

Last edited:

colsy

Mar 15, 2012
Dover
Based on what ?
Some ones view ? Does it really matter that much ?
Did you buy your Cupra because some magazine said it was a great car or did you have a drive of all the available cars in your price range ?
I would have probably bought the new Cupra if it was not for the diabolical customer service and experience I had with my mk2 , so I test drove similar based performance cars to make my desicion , not based on a magazine article.

It was only a bit of banter about the Golf R ,and I'm sure seastormer meant the same when he said it came 23rd in Auto Express Magazine . Obviously ,it's only their opinions .
I'm sure the Golf R is a cracking car ,and I'd love one ;) It's not my fault they chose to put it 20 places down from the Cupra !
My original comment was just to say how well Seat have done producing such a good car in the Mk3 in general .
As simonalli says other mags will probably differ. It's all a matter of choice . Do we need to mention money !!

Last edited:

colsy

Mar 15, 2012
Dover
With the Leon X-Experience which came out in August,permanent 4wd ,surely it won't be long for the Cupra R to show up !! ;) I'm sure you'll tell me If you think I'm talking bollox :D

GrahamFR

Now AMG Powered
Dec 10, 2008
Barnsley or Burton
they really have got themselves in a bit of a pickle havent they.

Yes, there will be a Cupra R, always have done, and always say its not coming...

However, it will need more than 300 bhp, probably 320 to be worth the expenditure over the normal one.

With that in mind, 3 things will happen, in order of least likeness:

1) Unlikely, but wishful, it will come with the exact same awd system as the golf or s3, upon which I will buy one, brush off my tweed jacket, 'golf' clubs and badge snobbery and run back into the arms of my youth, baseball cap, and hindenburg depreciation.

2) Now the more mechanically minded may shoot me down here, but what are the possibilities of giving the Cupra R being given a less 'dynamic' or sophisticated haldex system, one that doesnt ruin the current hierarchy of 4wd'ness but enables the Cupra R to be driven by any old journo without them bitchin' and moaning about lack of traction? Should this occur I may also jump ship.

3) It will come out as FWD, and every magazine review will slate it as being unruly and for a decent experience you should stick to the normal one. I may still be tempted back, providing its hardware upgrades instead of software to make up the difference.

In fact the only thing that could stop my return would be getting an amazing deal on an S3 saloon, I like to be different after all :)

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum

Yes, there will be a Cupra R, always have done, and always say its not coming...

However, it will need more than 300 bhp, probably 320 to be worth the expenditure over the normal one.

1) Unlikely, but wishful, it will come with the exact same awd system as the golf or s3, upon which I will buy one, brush off my tweed jacket, 'golf' clubs and badge snobbery and run back into the arms of my youth, baseball cap, and hindenburg depreciation.

2) Now the more mechanically minded may shoot me down here, but what are the possibilities of giving the Cupra R being given a less 'dynamic' or sophisticated haldex system, one that doesnt ruin the current hierarchy of 4wd'ness but enables the Cupra R to be driven by any old journo without them bitchin' and moaning about lack of traction? Should this occur I may also jump ship.

3) It will come out as FWD, and every magazine review will slate it as being unruly and for a decent experience you should stick to the normal one. I may still be tempted back, providing its hardware upgrades instead of software to make up the difference.

In fact the only thing that could stop my return would be getting an amazing deal on an S3 saloon, I like to be different after all :)
I reckon 2 is the likeliest , but also that the 'R' will be more of a cosmetic upgrade, perhaps a body kit, interior etc. perhaps more power, 300-325bhp. and maybe some proper headlights......:whistle:

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location

If I was a betting man it would be front wheel drive , and be 298 bhp same as the current golf and S3 , and maybe a different exhaust set up , including brembos as standard and bucket seats with a new alloy wheel design.
I still can't see it being 4 Wd.
If you compare a current Cupra to a current G7R times , why would they build a 4wd cupra R which works out just as quick as a standard Cupra ? Except off of the line ?
If you look at the vw brand range they all have one model of car using the variant of the new MQB cupra /s3/golf R engine , I can't see SEAT being allowed to offer 2 sports models to rival the S3 and Goof R sales.
I could be totally wrong but based on previous history this is what normally happens , the same history dictates that the skoda range does not get the G7R/S3/ Cupra engine in its range.

Stever750

Nov 20, 2014
West Wales
Unless the Cupra R is pitched in between the Golf R / S3 and the upcoming Golf 400 / and RS3?

There is space for a VAG product with 330-350 bhp, the big question is AWD or FWD?

there are a few remapped 280s around, you can uprate the diff lock via VCDS, and they all seem to be happy with 350 or hp going through the front wheel only, though no one would have it done and then proclaim it to be s**te, even if it was perhaps.

Last edited:

GrahamFR

Now AMG Powered
Dec 10, 2008
Barnsley or Burton
If I was a betting man it would be front wheel drive , and be 298 bhp same as the current golf and S3 , and maybe a different exhaust set up , including brembos as standard and bucket seats with a new alloy wheel design.
I still can't see it being 4 Wd.
If you compare a current Cupra to a current G7R times , why would they build a 4wd cupra R which works out just as quick as a standard Cupra ? Except off of the line ?
If you look at the vw brand range they all have one model of car using the variant of the new MQB cupra /s3/golf R engine , I can't see SEAT being allowed to offer 2 sports models to rival the S3 and Goof R sales.
I could be totally wrong but based on previous history this is what normally happens , the same history dictates that the skoda range does not get the G7R/S3/ Cupra engine in its range.

You mean this skoda mwhahahaaaa http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/skoda/87656/skoda-octavia-vrs-plus-spied#0

But seriously, I think as it will cost the same as the R given that there is no more play room, it has to be more than 300 if it's only fwd...

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
How ever good the MQB chassis is the health and safety hoodies at vw hq would go into meltdown if seat said we want to have a 350 bhp front wheel drive Cupra R.
There may well be mapped owners cars and they may feel it can handle the power , but getting a corporation to sign off on that is another matter entirely.
The golf 400 is estimated to cost North of £40k ! Which would suggest a limited run.
The RS 3 will be in the same price bracket but it already has history In the market.
What's a current Cupra MRP ? £27k , a golf R is £28.5 , where would a 4wd cupra R sit ?

GrahamFR

Now AMG Powered
Dec 10, 2008
Barnsley or Burton
Your price comment hits it on the head though, you can't bring out a 300 bhp golf R without 4wd and stick seat badges on it and retail it at the same price as a golf. Therefore it will have to have more power. Either that or they drop the price of the cupra to 25k.

Stever750

Nov 20, 2014
West Wales
spec for spec a £28k cupra 280 = £35k+ of Golf R, or was early December when I built them both up as a new purchase at my local dealer. Yes, you can get online deals etc, I'm quoting the franchise OTR pricing from the manufacturers lists. I agree that the 280 is at the limit of sensible for FWD, so an R ought to have 4WD, more power than the Golf R but priced similarly, maybe slightly less; in the same way that the Cupra is a slightly more expensive but more powerful version of the Golf Performance Plus. 330-340bhp would be enough distance to give buyers another entry point into the VAG multi-brand ladder.

dieselface

Jul 1, 2010
My predicition For the R is

300PS
Buckets as standard
Skirts as standard
Different rear exhaust
Badges everywhere!

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
spec for spec a £28k cupra 280 = £35k+ of Golf R, or was early December when I built them both up as a new purchase at my local dealer. Yes, you can get online deals etc, I'm quoting the franchise OTR pricing from the manufacturers lists. I agree that the 280 is at the limit of sensible for FWD, so an R ought to have 4WD, more power than the Golf R but priced similarly, maybe slightly less; in the same way that the Cupra is a slightly more expensive but more powerful version of the Golf Performance Plus. 330-340bhp would be enough distance to give buyers another entry point into the VAG multi-brand ladder.

You can't price the car with extras.
It's about a standard car MRP price not trying to load one car up against the other

colsy

Mar 15, 2012
Dover
Some great comments .I've always thought they'd bring one out with 4WD in R form ,even though of course there is the Golf R and S3 . The mk3 Leon is a success,it wins awards,gets great reviews ,give VW and Audi something to think about .;)

What I mean is that Competition is good for the Group . The Golf and Audi are obviously great hot hatches ,so another one on the market won't matter too much will it . Or is VAG worried that Seat might spank the others if they give it a 4WD system with the highly rated Cupra 265/280 Mk3!

Last edited:

GrahamFR

Now AMG Powered
Dec 10, 2008
Barnsley or Burton
lets not forget the curpa doesnt have to pay for a 4wd system, fog lights or the fancy acc, there is stuff missing both sides but none of these arguments mean much when you consider depreciation:

The only way anyone who has ever said "oh well the cupra is more kit for less money so it makes financial sense" is right, is if that individual is planning on dying instead of selling their car.

For example, same mileage same year:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...new,new/engine-size-cars/2l_to_2-5l?logcode=p

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...tcode/de130ty/page/1/price-to/16000?logcode=p

and thats a cupra R against a mk6 r, not a normal cupra either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.