MK3 Leon Cupra R - rumour and speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

xSullx

Jul 16, 2012
Estonia
Is there any risk of the Cupra R being cancelled because of the amount of penalties and problems after dieselgate and the other accusations flying around during the last weeks?

Similar to the VW Golf R400, which was cancelled after the scancals broke.

Kane7

Oct 23, 2016
All Chinese whispers with out a shadow of s doubt.

The only thing coming new to the Cupra range is the Ateca which will have a Hadlex AWD system in it.

Quoted from head technician from my dealership 3 days ago on a test drive on my cupra

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Kane7

Oct 23, 2016
And what the hell use is that? 'Hot' versions of an SUV, proper marketing bollards that is.
There's sales to be made competing with the tourag or how ever you spell it some Spanish wizz made his own from a breakers cupra mk3 Google it

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Quoted from head technician from my dealership 3 days ago on a test drive on my cupra

To be fair the head technician is hardly in the "circle" of knowledge, guys in SEAT ES will know what is planned. SEAT UK staff will find out once its confirmed. Head technician will find out once its out lol.

The R model is always a roll out model towards end of production.

Kane7

Oct 23, 2016
To be fair the head technician is hardly in the "circle" of knowledge, guys in SEAT ES will know what is planned. SEAT UK staff will find out once its confirmed. Head technician will find out once its out lol.

The R model is always a roll out model towards end of production.
Know what your saying but I did read it on a nurburgring forum on vag about it's been seen and pictured, cockpit picture showed a 8000rpm redline so seems plausible.

You gone go for the R or wait it out until the MK4. Getting to that stage where it feels like this next one could be the last fully petrol be for hybrid.

And got my car sorted by Crewe, it escalated to Seat UK head office because of a Google review warranty covered it drive shaft driver side starting to go.

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Only way I'm going to bother with another MK3 is if they release a limited edition numbered version aka Clubsport S (even though I now have a Clubsport S rear interior in mine)

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Leaked pictures emerging this morning, picture clearly shows back seats...

initial thoughts are a slightly different body kit and another 10bhp.

Kane7

Oct 23, 2016
10 bhp rather laughable.

Was rather hoping for the 2.5 tsi at 350
The 2.0 tsi reworked to 350 with 100 released in the UK with hadlex on as a sports coupe.

I think I'll wait and see what this 2018/2019 hybrid Cupra MK4 is supposed to be like.

vicalva

Cup Racing R - Legend
Aug 13, 2003
Madrid
Visit site
Just confirmed by Autoexpress, 799 units to be made (in total)

306bhp, FWD, manual gear box
Or 300bhp on DSG.
0-62 in 5.6s
Brembos
£33k, a whopping 2.5k more for 6 bhp and the upgraded breaks.

Why am I dissapqointed?
no 4WD, little gain in power, aestheticnaly ok'ish, not great.

Incidentally, my LCR mk1 cost me 17k back in 2003 :), different league obviously, but almost half the money.

The LCR mk3 should have been a 400bhp 4WD beast IMHO.

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
Given the different iterations of Cupra there have already been I didn't expect an R this time around. They didn't have anywhere to go without stepping on toes imo, hence why this recent announcement is being criticised.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Just confirmed by Autoexpress, 799 units to be made (in total)

306bhp, FWD, manual gear box
Or 300bhp on DSG.
0-62 in 5.6s
Brembos
£33k, a whopping 2.5k more for 6 bhp and the upgraded breaks.

Why am I dissapqointed?
no 4WD, little gain in power, aestheticnaly ok'ish, not great.

Incidentally, my LCR mk1 cost me 17k back in 2003 :), different league obviously, but almost half the money.

The LCR mk3 should have been a 400bhp 4WD beast IMHO.

We didn't need Autoexpress to confirm it, SEAT ES confirmed it this morning :lol:

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Given the different iterations of Cupra there have already been I didn't expect an R this time around. They didn't have anywhere to go without stepping on toes imo, hence why this recent announcement is being criticised.

Should have just kept the 280 throughout production and then announced the 310/300 R now.

Having the 290/300 already has made the R release weaker.

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
Should have just kept the 280 throughout production and then announced the 310/300 R now.

Having the 290/300 already has made the R release weaker.
Yep, that's why I didn't expect them to go for it, they'd already filled the gap that existed for one to naturally slot into. Feels like an element of greed here, trying to cover as many bases as possible but not having the scope to differentiate enough between the variations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.