Mk4 E-hybrid 204 bhp

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
Thanks mate, will do. Dealers next Wednesday.
Do keep us updated. Yours is the only one I've seen on here with issues on 1940. As said above could be a hardware issue. Worst case it might need the infotainment system replacing :( .

rdraheim

Jul 18, 2023
Some great points in this thread, but just thought I'd add my two pence about the elevation gain. I took my Cupra PHEV to work yesterday on a 15 mile commute there and back. There is quite an elevation gain over the hills, but don't forget that the battery will regen quite notably as you go down the other side.

After 8 miles of my commute I was down to the mid-teens in terms of range, but then this increased by a couple of miles as I went down the hill. It used very little power and the battery was recharged by the motor, resulting in 57% of battery still being available by the time I'd completed 15 miles.

Going the other way, I'm now going back up the elevation gain and my range quickly drops from 18 miles to 4, with less than 5/6 or miles completed. However, once you start going back down the hill this increased and maintained for the rest of the journey. I finished with 6 miles of range and 17%.

Totally agree with software, mines two weeks old and came with 1900 but still has infotainment random crashes. It's booked in next week for an update.

Final point is cost, ultimately as others have said it comes down to your lifestyle and whether you can plug it in to charge overnight as to whether it's worth it. If you can't charge at home or get cheaper electric, a PHEV might not be the best car. I can (on Intelligent Octopus) and I have a commute less than 30 miles return, although you could manage with a commute of 60 miles if you can charge at work at a reasonable rate.

For comparison, in the 226 miles I've covered since owning the car, I've averaged 282.5mpg and 3.6mi/kWh.

226 / 3.6 = 62.7kWh at 7.5p = roughly £4.71. Throw on a bit extra for DC/AC conversion loss, and the less of a gallon of of fuel I've, used lets call it £10.00

A petrol at 40MPG, roughly 16p a mile = 226 * 0.16 = £36.16. So for me it's working and I should see at least a £50 reduction in cost of fuel throughout a month.

Public chargers can cost significantly more, so in my case of 3.6mi/kWh, once I hit above 57p a kWh (16p * 3.6mi/kWh) a 40mpg petrol is more economic. Most are around here are at least 45p, so I'll probably just stick to petrol if I can't charge it at home for whatever reason (which I guess is the benefit of a PHEV).

Whether that works for you and you can warrant the additional risk (more complicated/more to go wrong), the initial cost (PHEVs are typically expensive to buy) and potential maintenance costs (heavier so tires, but should be less on brakes), is something to way-up. Also don't forget as others have mentioned the range will look very different in winter.

Hope that helps and gives you some food for thought. :) Any questions just ask.
This is my calculation.

Our two houses and two research positions are 170mi apart RT.

We determined that trying to do that, even with the totally awesome Energy Superhub Oxford within walking distance of one job site and one house that the cost between isn't worth it (at 50p/kWh and with a range of 170 miles or so required.)

Also, the home charging seems OK, but with a slow wall home charger the capacity was always at the limit of a round trip commute (with 6h at 7.5kWh).

Interesting options but not really for our lifestyle sadly.

It's high 40s-low 50s mpg (UK) for us in the Golf and León for the foreseeable future.

Fergoo

Jun 8, 2020
So update, been to the dealer today.

The 5F unit (Computer in the glovebox) is completely dead. Booked in for a replacement on Monday.

Interesting conversation with the service advisor.

Me: 'Surely that's quite strange for a new vehicle'.

Her: 'You'd be surprised... We've replaced quite a few 5F units'.

At least it's in stock... That will be the third visit in 6 weeks of ownership.

To top it off I have to pay for my own insurance on the courtesy car!

C_ED_99

Jan 27, 2010
Mines going in for an update on Monday. Hopefully just the one trip since its taken a while to go in...

Aug 20, 2023
Thought I'd ask this in an active thread rather than start a new one.

I'm buying an FR hybrid next week and although there was a type 2 to 2 cable in the boot, no 3 pin charger was present. There are lots of ebay listings for genuine VAG chargers but there are a few different model numbers shown. Can anyone please let me know what the model number is on theirs? Also does it matter if you don't use a genuine OEM supplied charger and go with a compatible one from evwired.com (for example)?

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
Thought I'd ask this in an active thread rather than start a new one.

I'm buying an FR hybrid next week and although there was a type 2 to 2 cable in the boot, no 3 pin charger was present. There are lots of ebay listings for genuine VAG chargers but there are a few different model numbers shown. Can anyone please let me know what the model number is on theirs? Also does it matter if you don't use a genuine OEM supplied charger and go with a compatible one from evwired.com (for example)?
It doesn't have to be OEM. Mine didn't come with a granny cable either so I bought a 10m one online. They're normally cheaper and you can get the length you want.

Aug 20, 2023
It doesn't have to be OEM. Mine didn't come with a granny cable either so I bought a 10m one online. They're normally cheaper and you can get the length you want.
Fantastic. In that case I can order a 7m one and not have to mess with the garage electrics!

Nov 18, 2023
Agree with @kaxolo. Turn it off, it's dangerous :mad: !
My car spotted a 30mph sign on an exit ramp when I was in the outside lane of a motorway and breaked heavily.
Once I found out what was going on I turned it off!
I can understand how this can annoy so many y people

However at times it can be useful for me.

Any idea how you turned it off as I couldnt find an option that turns it on?

If the road sign shows 50mph and then the car recognises 40mph it shows 40mph in the dash but will not lower the speed unless I slow it down.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.