MK4 golf aero wiper arms

Fazi12321

Feb 13, 2019
Evening guys,

I've seen a few of the members on here have upgraded there wiper arms to the aero ones from the mk4 anni / r32 golf.

I've also seen some members have trimmed the wiper, but I've seen some members who have cut the actual wiper arm.

Would anybody who has cut the aero wiper arm to length be able to tell me just how much I have to cut and from where the cut should be made?

Thanks in advance!

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
Hi mate, I done this about 4 months ago (previously I used to trim the wiper blades which was a PITA!) so I removed the end part which the wiper blade attaches to - put the arm in vise and used a hammer & chisel to ease open the ‘crimped’ section then it pulled off.
I’d measured 1” but actually only cut off 22mm of the end of the arm. Then I refitted the wiper attachment and used vise to crimp back as much as possible, I then got a mate to TIG weld the gap. Spent a couple of hours filing & sanding to get it smooth before a couple of coats of paint
3ab8bfdea7fccf256260d257777de226.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fazi12321

Feb 13, 2019
Hi mate, I done this about 4 months ago (previously I used to trim the wiper blades which was a PITA!) so I removed the end part which the wiper blade attaches to - put the arm in vise and used a hammer & chisel to ease open the ‘crimped’ section then it pulled off.
I’d measured 1” but actually only cut off 22mm of the end of the arm. Then I refitted the wiper attachment and used vise to crimp back as much as possible, I then got a mate to TIG weld the gap. Spent a couple of hours filing & sanding to get it smooth before a couple of coats of paint
3ab8bfdea7fccf256260d257777de226.jpg

Thanks mate - that helps!

Would you be able to take a pic of where the cut was made....I can see a sort of line towards the end of the passenger wiper arm, but not sure thats a cut....

Thanks again

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
The missus has the car today but if you measure down 22mm from the end of the arm that’s where I cut it.

Fazi12321

Feb 13, 2019
The missus has the car today but if you measure down 22mm from the end of the arm that’s where I cut it.

Ok great - I'll give this a go over the weekend!

Thanks again!

Fazi12321

Feb 13, 2019

Thanks mate - Just another question - What wipers do I purchase to make these work after I've cut off the 22mm from the arm? Are they the original mk4 anniversary ones or do I need another set?

Also I've got a Fabia rear wiper at the back - but I'm not sure whether its from an estate or the hatchback.

What wiper blade should I be buying for the back?

Thanks again

Fazi12321

Feb 13, 2019
i went generic aero blades and no issues and got a kill all wipers rear wiper delete
Thanks - I've got these for the moment, but will be looking at doing the change as it hasn't cost me too much to buy the complete aero wiper arms.

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
For the fronts I just buy original mk4 golf Aero blades (21 & 19mm) and for the rear it should be the Fabia hatchback wiper. I get mine from local TPS

Reactions: Fazi12321

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
Not a good pic but where I cut and welded front arm
54e54f59c066f22ff48d9ea75e39f4b9.jpg

If you lift up your wiper arm you will see, similar to mine, where the end of the arm is located in the blade attachment.

Thai-wronghorse

Self proclaimed Cupra R addict & butcher!
Dec 3, 2015
Kent
I'll have a spare pair of chopped mk4 Golf aero wiper arms and Fabia rear arm in the coming week or so if anyone is interested?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Yellow fr