Mk4 Ibiza/Corboda Guide: Cup Holder Replacement (Image links dead)

Was this Replacement Guide useful?

• Very Useful, Thanks!

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Somewhat Useful...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm Still Somewhat Unclear...

• That Made No Sense At All!

• Total voters

Sam

Ibiza 6L Owner
So, I felt it was about time I created a little guide for the forums. I had a little look around and couldn't see any specific guide really on the Forum, so this is a guide on how to replace the Cup Holder on the Mk4 Ibiza/Corboda. Jamming and failure of the Cup Holder is quite common in this generation of Ibiza/Corboda, and is often something that people want to replace!

Project Complexity: 2/10
Time to Complete: Approximately 30 Minutes - 1 Hour

What You'll Need:
- Replacement Cup Holder (can be found through eBay or breakers websites such as 1stchoice.co.uk)
- Radio Removal Tool (For removal of the stock Alana Head Unit, Halfords stock the AutoLeads PC5-132s required): AutoLeads PC5-132 on Halfords Website
- Small Screwdriver with T20 Screw Bit (a must have for any project): Draper 42 Piece Screwdriver Set
- Your Stereo Security Code which can be found on your Radio Card in your Owner's Manual (you must have this in order to use your radio again)​

How-To:
1) The first job is to obviously ensure that the vehicle is switched off and the battery is disconnected before starting the work. This is to ensure we don't run into potentiall electrical problems further on. Once that's complete, put the AutoLeads PC5-132s into the removal holes on the stereo (below button 1 and the SCAN button). The flat side of these should go to the outside of the stereo.

29741805735_c8775f7215_k.jpg

2) When removing the stereo, pull each of the keys slightly to the right whilst applying pulling pressure to the stereo, otherwise the keys will simply fall out! The radio will start to come out, and once out, remove the Antenna, Speakers and Power connectors. Place the stereo in a safe place and ensure that the stereo cables don't fall down the back of the dashboard, as that'll be a real pain to retrieve!

29630171252_f5edbf33f3_k.jpg

3) The next job is the removal of removal of the tray under where the stereo sits, this does require a firm tug, so don't be afraid to give it a good pull! Once that's out, you'll have access to all the screws you need to undo the facia. There are 5x T20 Screws to deal with, 4 of them being approximately where these red circles are, and the other being inside the hole, under the Cup Holder & Buttons assembly.

29660315881_31e7c88152_k.jpg

29706406496_ee97bf058b_k.jpg

4) The Facia should be removable now, although a Flat Head Screwdriver is advisable to help some of the Tabs release to remove the unit. There's now another pair of T20 Screws to remove, one on the left side of the Cup Holder, and one on the right side of the Hazard Light, you don't have to disconnect the Airbag Light, Rear Window Heater and Hazard Light, but it can help to make things more maneuverable.

29706273556_cacfb979c2_k.jpg

5) The Cup Holder unit should now be free! Personally, I tried to unjam mine to see if it would make removal a little easier, but it doesn't make much of a difference. Whilst pulling the old Cup Holder out, pull left slightly to help free it from its housing. Don't worry if the Airbag Light falls out, we can reinstall this upon reinstallation!

29115144444_159b9fb4e4_k.jpg

29741897595_3dcc2809f4_k.jpg

6) You are now able to slide your new Cup Holder in, slide it into position and check to make sure it works before starting the reinstallation process!

29660383951_acba583431_k.jpg

7) Do the opposite of what you did for disassembally, if you have disconnected any connectors, my advice is to reconnect them now and check everything is working correctly before continuing. This reduces headaches later on!

29630283212_88519eef22_k.jpg

8) Once the facia is reattached to the dashboard and screwed in, you can now replace the Storage Tray, which will again need a little bit of persuading!

29117328593_796b977209_k.jpg

9) For radio installation with the Alana Stereo, do the reverse of removal. So, for mine, the Black Power Lead goes into the bottom plug, and the Brown Speaker Lead goes into the upper plug, with the Antenna Plug going onto its own connector.

29741986235_34cee1ff18_k.jpg

29630393692_ae25276666_k.jpg

10) Put the stereo mostly back in and re-enter your Radio Code, once put in, press the SCAN button to return to normal radio listening and ensure that everything sounds fine.

29115310114_79b3d0243b_k.jpg

11) Once completed, fully install the stereo into the dashboard and remove the radio removal tools. If the tools don't want to come out, then pull the radio out again, and press on the metal strips on either side of the radio whilst slowly working the keys free, and that should solve the problem!

29450704340_53d50988c1_k.jpg

12) Test your Cup Holder and enjoy many refreshing beverages with your new Cup Holder! [B)]

29630455092_0d58d053b4_k.jpg

I hope you find this tutorial useful. Please note, that I claim no responsibility for damage to your vehicle whilst following this guide. This guide is based purely off my experience of replacing the Cup Holder within the Ibiza 6L, and has not been carried out by a professional mechanic. Before disconnecting electronic equipment from your vehicle, disconnect the battery to eliminate potential problems during this process. Proceed through this guide with care, and seek expert advice from a qualified mechanic if you are unsure/unclear of the uninstallation and installation.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise