mk4 petrol cupra , problems with map

broom

Apr 12, 2011
right where to begin....... its a petrol cupra .
decided to get a custom map a few months back as i was after a bit more power so took it to tx autosport which is local to me .
after a few issues with mapping as after a few days sometimes less the management light would pop up due to the de cat , took it back as i noticed that the car felt like it was down on power due to the light being on so there was some back and forth between them and their software company and eventually got the light to stay off but the guy at the software company altered the map at the same time by messing about with the wastegate duty cycle trying to improve on the map and didn't notify tx of this at the time . so i left thinking that this was the end of the issues . loved how it was more aggressive at boost than it previously was but was surging boost like mad between 10 psi and 19 psi at full load ,with this i did hear a boost leak somewhere and presumed this was the problem so went home tightened every hose down tight as i could and tried again a few hours later and noticed straight away the was only boosting 4 psi so pulled over turned it off took key out and tried again ,after this it was boosting 19 psi and the noise stopped but this made no difference to the surging.
so again i went back there and they loaded the 1st map back on which worked fine but wanted it a bit more aggressive like the 2nd map .
a few days later 3rd file loaded and again the surging started along with 4 psi problem with the fist cycle of the key when cooled down so he arranged for the software guy to come down to look at it and map it himself while it was on the rolling road.
so again booked in 4th attempt , problem was replicated but no fault codes appearing when it does this a little bit of smoothing the map out was done but was still doing it , after reading up on here on threads regarding similar issues it was guessed that maybe the map sensor may be on the way out and was told to try the map and change the map sensor .
got a brand new bosch map sensor today , fitted it checked all boost pipes were still tight ,fitted bumper back on yet again .
to no avail problem is still there :censored:
so short of putting a match to it lol, am unsure what could be causing this.

recent parts fitted , if this helps
n75 change about a year ago
forge hard boost pipe
bailey dv30
2.5 decat system
forge t i p , not yet fitted
new map sensor

apologies about this being a bit long winded but thought it would be better for some one to get the jist of what was happening and just need to figure out whether its a problem with the map or not .

any advice appreciated

Badger

Dec 2, 2012
Newcastle, Staffs
If the mapper has done a full health check with the car and they say everything is as it should, change your mapper!

Get a second opinion from a different tuner who can look at your map. Sounds like your N75 duty cycle and requested boost maps are not configured correctly.

Also, is the MAP sensor a one-for-one replacement or a uprated one? If uprated, was the MAP linerization changed?

Unless the 20vt wizards have any obvious solutions?

broom

Apr 12, 2011
the map sensor was a like for like replacement , the guy that came down from the software company said he had a done a few of these before and never had this issue , if i had the money to go to another place like amd i would , but i suppose there's no harm in giving them a ring to see if they could give it a once over

broom

Apr 12, 2011
would it be worth trying a new n75 valve , as i had the surging issue when i brought the car and stopped when replaced

scottyA

Sounds to me like its the map. I would suggest having the standard map back on and do a run and see if you still have the problems. eliminate any possibilities from the most recent and work back.

Chino_UK

Team Creatine
Jul 19, 2009
Cheadle, Cheshire
I'd also say the remap is most likely the cause. I'd be tempted to get your money back and put one of the more tried and tested maps flashed on there like a APR or Revo.

broom

Apr 12, 2011
i know , im begining to regret going there , had the 1st map he originally done and its working ok just not as much boost as i want but when he ups it that is when the problem occurs going to change the n75 in the next few days , had my forge tip fitted now which does seem to have helped as the old one was really squishy .
then shall get him to load the map again and see what happens .
shall be the last attempt he gets . so if no joy will be contacting amd i think.

broom

Apr 12, 2011
do they do an uprated part of the n75 ? didn't want to get one of the ecs ones as Ive heard there not very good

Chino_UK

Team Creatine
Jul 19, 2009
Cheadle, Cheshire
That's about all they do I think. Only people I've ever heard with dodgy N75's are those who go to unusual mappers. Everyone is still rocking standard/original ones no problem. Also, it's not all about boost. My APR stage 2 only boosts to about 18/19psi, mostly done by engine timing.

broom

Apr 12, 2011
so finally got down to the bottom of the issue , got it booked in for diagnostics at amd and surprise surprise it was a mapping issue . got my money back from the previous mapper got it booked in at amd the following day for a stage 2 map .
end result was 228.4 bhp 261ftlb torque and a much better driving car.
lesson learned no to go for the closest tuners .
but more on experience and tried and tested
with the car u have.

Feb 25, 2009
Rotherham/Leeds
You live and learn mate! I think the best advice is never go to anywhere that puts a map on your car from somewhere else (ie is emailed the file to flash etc). I had a terrible experience with that myself, got my money back, and then went for a map by someone who actually mapped the car theirselves and ran all logs etc! Vastly improved car for it!

broom

Apr 12, 2011
indeed mate. although i may contact amd on Monday as i think they have put a stage 1 on , as ive just realized i only paid 300 quid but was supposed to be 399 for the stage 2 , or does the power figure sound about right? thought maybe would be in the mid 230 range or is that wishful thinking

Feb 25, 2009
Rotherham/Leeds
I think that's wishful thinking whilst still keeping the car relatively reliable! It would be possible no doubt, but you'd have a much greater chance of facing plenty of repair bills!

Tbf, anything above that sort of the power you will struggle to put down on the road anyway - I would be looking at a LSD next!

broom

Apr 12, 2011
i think it may be a new clutch first still on the original clutch as far as i know at almost 80,000 lol . so wont be too long

Chino_UK

Team Creatine
Jul 19, 2009
Cheadle, Cheshire
All depends who's rolling roads you go on I guess, bare in mind AMD's have been known to sometimes be a little generous. As for the clutch, I've been running stage 2 on the original for the last 20k, not had any problems and just gone over 72k now.

Crumpyz

Jul 5, 2012
Basingstoke
Sorry its a bit late but those ECS N75 valves don't do a lot I believe, initially they do, but doesn't the ECU learn the delay and counter balance it?

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise